PDA

View Full Version : Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.

DonTrash
2017-04-08, 09:29
I try to dual boot Windows 10 and Kali.
At the point where i need to install GRUB bootloader I get following error:
"Unable to install GRUB in dummy
Executing 'grub-install dummy' failed.
This is a fatal error."

I tried this: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Thinkpad/X1%20Carbon%204thGen%20PCIe_SSD/jessie
At the point where I need to do this: "grub-install --target=x86_64-efi /dev/nvme0n1"
I get the error: "grub-install: error: cannot open '/boot/efi/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi' : read-only file system." :confused:

To my System:
- Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460
- 8 GB RAM
- Intel Core i7-6500U
- 256 GB Solid-State-Laufwerk, SATA3

Kali:
Kali 64 Bit Version: 2016.2
Win32 to create USB

Booted in UEFI only, Secure Boot Disabled

Do you have any idea what I could do?
I hope this is enough information.

_defalt
2017-04-08, 13:18
You can skip installation of grub. After your installation is complete boot into kali-live and run these commands:

sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt
sudo mkdir mnt/dev
sudo mkdir mnt/proc
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
sudo mount --bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
sudo mkdir -p /mnt/boot/efi
sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
sudo mkdir /mnt/hostrun
sudo mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
sudo chroot /mnt
sudo mkdir /run/lvm
mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub
exit
sudo umount /mnt/dev
sudo umount /mnt/proc
sudo umount /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
sudo umount /mnt/sys
sudo umount /mnt/boot/efi
sudo umount /mnt/hostrun
sudo umount /mnt/run/lvm
sudo umount /mnt
REBOOT

/dev/sda* is your linux filesystem. Like mine is /dev/sda6
/dev/sda+ is your EFI partition which is most likely /dev/sda1.
Use fdisk -l to list all partitions.
/dev/sda in grub-install /dev/sda is the name of your storage device, not the name of partition. Use fdisk -l to see the name of your stoage device.

UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10] (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36601-UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10)

DonTrash
2017-04-08, 14:38
Thanks for your reply... I did what you wrote... I got no error, bit still I can only boot into windows.
For * I took sda5 which is my Linux file-system. Do I need to take sda6 which is Linux swap?

_defalt
2017-04-08, 16:42
It'll obviously boot into Windows because UEFI boots that OS first whose boot loader is given 1st priority. You have to press F9 or F10 or F8 or F12 or F8 or Esc to open boot menu options. There you will find the option to boot either Windows or kali-linux. Which key is used to open boot menu options depends on your manufacturer. It's similar to opening UEFI settings where you can also change boot priority.

Are you sure there were no errors reported while running those commands?

Linux swap would be a wrong choice. What did you chose for **?

DonTrash
2017-04-08, 16:54
Yes I know... But the only option which is bootable is Windows.

For ** i choosed sda1 which is my efi partition.

_defalt
2017-04-08, 20:31
I added one more command into the list. See my edit and repeat the process. Report if you face lvmetad error after the update-grub command.

DonTrash
2017-04-08, 20:44
There was a warning which said something like: "can't connect to lvmetdat"

DonTrash
2017-04-08, 20:59
Now i even get an error. grub-install: error: cannot open `/boot/efi/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi': Input/output error.

I got it to boot once, then i updated kali and grub was gone again after I booted Windows once.

_defalt
2017-04-09, 09:58
Now i even get an error. grub-install: error: cannot open `/boot/efi/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi': Input/output error.
To troubleshoot this error i already added this sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi command, i don't know why it's not working.

There was a warning which said something like: "can't connect to lvmetdat"
Now to trouble shoot this error i added few more lines. I edited it. See my edit and run the process again.

DonTrash
2017-04-09, 12:58
To troubleshoot this error i already added this sudo mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda** /mnt/boot/efi command, i don't know why it's not working.

Now to trouble shoot this error i added few more lines. I edited it. See my edit and run the process again.

That worked fine! Thank you so much!:D

_defalt
2017-04-09, 15:53
Are you telling that now you can boot kali from boot menu options?

DonTrash
2017-04-09, 16:04
Yes, I can choose​ Kali which starts Grub bootloader where I can start Kali. Ich can't choose windows in Grub bootloader, (don't​ know if this is right) only in boot menu. But this is fine.

_defalt
2017-04-09, 20:19
When you login to kali. Run sudo update-grub command in the terminal. It will add windows boot loader in the grub boot menu.

joed1960
2017-07-07, 20:22
I got the executing grub install dummy failed as well, but I don't have another OS on my laptop. It's an HP Pavillion which stopped booting; system recovery didn't work. I wiped it, and installed Kali. How can I get it to boot up? Booting gets me to a grub prompt with a list of possible commands.

_defalt
2017-07-08, 09:48
I got the executing grub install dummy failed as well, but I don't have another OS on my laptop. It's an HP Pavillion which stopped booting; system recovery didn't work. I wiped it, and installed Kali. How can I get it to boot up? Booting gets me to a grub prompt with a list of possible commands.
This error comes when grub is already present in the EFI system partition so installer can't rewrite grub with the same name hence it is called install dummy failed. Skip this step from the installation and proceed to finish the installation of kali.

Then follow the instructions given here https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36601-UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10

bigbosshk
2017-08-16, 06:00
You can skip installation of grub. After your installation is complete boot into kali-live and run these commands:

mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi
mkdir /mnt/hostrun
mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
chroot /mnt
mkdir /run/lvm
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt/hostrun
umount /mnt/run/lvm
umount /mnt

Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux filesystem name. Like mine is /dev/sda6
Replace + in sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition name. Mine is /dev/sda1

Oh, thank you bro!!! You re awesome because i was searching for this solution...

_defalt
2017-08-16, 09:51
Oh, thank you bro!!! You re awesome because i was searching for this solution...
Did it work?

Pradeep Nalluri
2017-09-04, 13:32
Thanks alot bro it was one **** of an help. Worked perfectly... the windows boot manager didn't show up initially but after running sudo update-grub I got it up and running..
once again thanks alot bro

aviraj115
2017-10-06, 15:54
Hello, I followed every command as you said but everything happens until grub-install command. It gives following errors:
EFI variables are not supported on this system.
grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.

_defalt
2017-10-06, 20:33
Hello, I followed every command as you said but everything happens until grub-install command. It gives following errors:
grub-install: error: efibootmgr failed to register the boot entry: No such file or directory.
Your efivars kernel module is not loaded.

Run this command to test it:
#efivar-tester

UEFI variables are not supported on this machine.

#modprobe efivars

Test again:
#efivar-tester

This will no longer report an error, and now you can install grub the same way you were doing before.

damnflesh
2017-10-16, 22:58

bro, i have a problem with the commands, i have this in a HP240

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
/dev/sda2 1050624 1550335 499712 244M Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3 1550336 976771071 975220736 465G Linux LVM

and i replace the * with sda2

but

mount: mount point /mnt/dev does not exist

my bios is diferent the legacy mode is disabled

and i dont know wath could i do

_defalt
2017-10-17, 04:43
bro, i have a problem with the commands, i have this in a HP240

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
/dev/sda2 1050624 1550335 499712 244M Linux filesystem
/dev/sda3 1550336 976771071 975220736 465G Linux LVM

and i replace the * with sda2

but

mount: mount point /mnt/dev does not exist

my bios is diferent the legacy mode is disabled

and i dont know wath could i do

It is /dev/sda3 on your disk.

E.T.II
2017-12-02, 17:52
After entering grub install command I got an error stating that the EFI variables are not supported on my system and the EFI boot manager failed to register the boot entry no such file or directory

_defalt
2017-12-03, 05:44
After entering grub install command I got an error stating that the EFI variables are not supported on my system and the EFI boot manager failed to register the boot entry no such file or directory
Use this updated solution: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36601-UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10

menoe
2018-01-25, 22:36

mkdir /mnt/hostrun
chroot /mnt
mkdir /run/lvm
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt/hostrun
umount /mnt/run/lvm
umount /mnt

Replace * in sudo mount /dev/sda* /mnt with your linux filesystem name. Like mine is /dev/sda6
Replace + in sudo mount /dev/sda+ /mnt/boot/efi with your EFI partition name. Mine is /dev/sda1

"does this code work with kali linux 2017 i386 ? i have the same problem after installing kali linux 2017 i386"

_defalt
2018-01-27, 13:29
"does this code work with kali linux 2017 i386 ? i have the same problem after installing kali linux 2017 i386"

yes, it does.

garuda_dragon
2018-02-02, 22:27
Hi -- I seem to have this exact problem, but when I go to implement the solution above, the first line fails. The message I get is "mount: /mnt: unknown filesystem type 'linux raid member'" This is more than a bit vexing since when I noticed the installation wanted to build a software raid, I tried to turn that option off, but couldn't manage it. So I went ahead and just accepted the defaults, and it definitely claimed to be building a software raid.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

emmodunne
2018-02-04, 02:08
I followed _defalt's steps to install grub however when I execute the command
grub-install /dev/sda, I get the following error:

I have checked my BIOS settings and both secure boot and legacy support are disabled.

jyde2077
2018-02-04, 07:30
@ _default,

So I ran into something very similar to this issue with dual booting win10. I think I know where my issue kinda is. My system is below.

Toshiba Terca c50
Win10 on 1st hard drive
Kali on 2nd hard drive mount is /dev/sdc efi partition is /dev/sdc1
other specs
CPU core i5
RAM 8 gigs

When I ran the installer I didn't pick the 3 option with all the different mount points I chose the 2nd option with just the ..../home. When I ran the command mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev I get the error mount: mount point doesn't exist. Should I run re run the installer or is there a fix for this also? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Please let me know if you need more info on my system or steps I took.

jyde2077

_defalt
2018-02-04, 07:45
I followed _defalt's steps to install grub however when I execute the command , I get the following error:

I have checked my BIOS settings and both secure boot and legacy support are disabled.
Follow this: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36601-UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10

emmodunne
2018-02-05, 19:23
Follow this: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36601-UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10

I followed your steps in that thread however I still got the same error as mentioned before:

_defalt
2018-02-06, 15:28
@ _default,

So I ran into something very similar to this issue with dual booting win10. I think I know where my issue kinda is. My system is below.

Toshiba Terca c50
Win10 on 1st hard drive
Kali on 2nd hard drive mount is /dev/sdc efi partition is /dev/sdc1
other specs
CPU core i5
RAM 8 gigs

When I ran the installer I didn't pick the 3 option with all the different mount points I chose the 2nd option with just the ..../home. When I ran the command mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev I get the error mount: mount point doesn't exist. Should I run re run the installer or is there a fix for this also? Sorry if that doesn't make any sense. Please let me know if you need more info on my system or steps I took.

jyde2077
What is the partition name of your kali filesystem? You mounted the wrong partition in the first command.

_defalt
2018-02-06, 15:33
I followed your steps in that thread however I still got the same error as mentioned before:

Before attempting my given solution, run modprobe efivarfs.

emmodunne
2018-02-06, 20:34
Before attempting my given solution, run modprobe efivarfs.

I ran
modprobe efivarfs.

This returned
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivarfs': No such device

_defalt
2018-02-07, 05:19
Try modprobe efivars

emmodunne
2018-02-08, 17:01
Try modprobe efivars

I got the same error:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivars': No such device

_defalt
2018-02-10, 10:15
This error only occurs if UEFI is disabled and Legacy BIOS is enabled. Make sure this is not the case.

Use rufus to create a bootable USB and 2018.1 image is out. If there was a bug with the earlier image it would have been fixed in this recent image.

Interesting it is not happening with me.

emmodunne
2018-02-15, 16:04
This error only occurs if UEFI is disabled and Legacy BIOS is enabled. Make sure this is not the case.

Use rufus to create a bootable USB and 2018.1 image is out. If there was a bug with the earlier image it would have been fixed in this recent image.

Interesting it is not happening with me.

I verified that UEFI Boot is enabled and Legacy Boot is disabled:

I had installed the image 2017.3 so as you advised I downloaded the 2018.1 image and made a bootable usb using Rufus. However, during the install I got the following error:

Kali Linux does not seem to like me :p

emmodunne
2018-02-17, 03:25
I managed to overcome the error I mentioned above. However, grub dummy still fails to execute even with the new image. Maybe I am missing something regarding boot settings - I have posted a picture of those settings above.

Thank you for all your help

_defalt
2018-02-18, 12:59
No your boot settings are perfectly fine. I will look into the issue.

grub-dummy error during the OS installation happens when grub bootloader is already present in the EFI partition so installer can't overwrite it.

You can delete the old grub by mounting the EFI partition and delete the grubx64.efi in /mnt/EFI/kali. It's a critical solution. One mistake can prevent windows to boot.

Boot into kali-live and mount EFI partition as:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
nautilus /mnt/EFI/kali

Use fdisk -l to list which one is your EFI partition. It may not be /dev/sda1

emmodunne
2018-02-18, 22:31
No your boot settings are perfectly fine. I will look into the issue.

grub-dummy error during the OS installation happens when grub bootloader is already present in the EFI partition so installer can't overwrite it.

You can delete the old grub by mounting the EFI partition and delete the grubx64.efi in /mnt/EFI/kali. It's a critical solution. One mistake can prevent windows to boot.

Boot into kali-live and mount EFI partition as:
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
nautilus /mnt/EFI/kali

Use fdisk -l to list which one is your EFI partition. It may not be /dev/sda1

I'm not attempting a dual boot. This machine did have win 10 installed and I'm trying to replace it completely with kali.

I booted into kali live and mounted the efi partition then deleted grubx64.efi.

I then tried to run modprobe efivarfs and I got the same error "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivarfs': No such device".

Tried to run modprobe efivars and I got the same error "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'efivars': No such device".

_defalt
2018-02-19, 18:45
@emmodunne Now you have deleted that file, you can re-install kali.

emmodunne
2018-02-20, 11:37
@emmodunne Now you have deleted that file, you can re-install kali.

It worked! Thanks so much for all your help!

Mcole0482
2018-03-26, 21:10

mkdir /mnt/hostrun
chroot /mnt
mkdir /run/lvm
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt/hostrun
umount /mnt/run/lvm
umount /mnt

When I do "grub-install /dev/sda" it's gives me the error "grub-install: command not found"

_defalt
2018-03-27, 06:36
When I do "grub-install /dev/sda" it's gives me the error "grub-install: command not found"
Once you mount your kali filesystem as mount /dev/sda* /mnt then show the output of
ls /mnt/usr/sbin | grep grub

Nullor
2018-06-29, 21:57
I'm not attempting a dual boot.

I am though. I'm scared if I follow with the instructions you used, I might not be able to boot into windows anymore.
I have been experiencing the same problems as you have up to this point.

Does anyone have any insight as to what i can do next?

strale951
2018-11-09, 13:54
I have same error while instaling grub dummy.
I done everything you wrote, have some warning when I start update-grub

root@kali:/# update-grub
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
WARNING: Device /dev/loop0 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda1 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb1 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb2 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb3 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb4 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb5 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb6 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
done

Now I can see "kali" in uefi boot menu, but when i boot it just show promp in top-left corner and reboot to windows.

PLEASE HELP.

strale951
2018-11-09, 13:57
I done everything as you wrote, have some warnings when I type update-grub

root@kali:/# update-grub
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.13.0-kali1-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.13.0-kali1-amd64
WARNING: Device /dev/loop0 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda1 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb1 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb2 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb3 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb4 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb5 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sdb6 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
done

Now I can see "kali" in my boot menu but when I boot it show me promp in top-left corner and after 2-3 sec. reboot to windows

Please help!

Anonymous_47
2019-03-29, 19:22
I am have done everything as you show but it still show input/output error please somebody help😭😭😭🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

FWA
2019-04-14, 19:43
I had the exact issue just a few weeks ago. It turns out my ISO was intended for a 32bit Virtual Machine. Please ensure that your ISO is compatible with your hardware. What ISO and hardware are you using? (Sorry if I missed it in a previous reply) Hope this works!

MEGADETH
2019-07-31, 20:50
I am have done everything as you show but it still show input/output error please somebody help😭😭😭🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
i try all the same and don't work for me.. (grub screw all after try to upgrade my kali)..

finaly, run usb on rescue mode.
try to force install grub on efi partition > failed, fatal error
try to instal grub on /dev/sda > failed, fatal error

run command line on /dev/sda1 (my kali partition)
#mount /dev/sda3 /boot/efi -o rw
#update-initramfs -u
#update-grub
detect all systems (kali, slackware, w10, debian jessie on my laptop) and write all data on EFI sys.
#reboot
and this work for me.-

AlexZander
2019-09-08, 05:15
I followed same, But... I am getting this error

grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI variable Boot0004.
grub-install: warning: vars_set_variable: write() failed: No space left on device. grub-install: warning: _efi_set_variable_mode: ops->set_variable() failed: No such file or directory.
grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: No such file or directory.

_defalt
2019-09-08, 17:49
This temporary fix may work: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/379774/grub-installation-failed

I'll soon add this fix to make proper instructions.

Else, try this @AlexZander

Boot into kali live,

mount /dev/sda* /mnt
mkdir /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
mount --bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*
mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
mkdir /mnt/hostrun
chroot /mnt
mkdir /run/lvm
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt/hostrun
umount /mnt/run/lvm
umount /mnt
REBOOT

AlexZander
2019-09-10, 01:09
I have followed above command, Now... I am able to install grub Successfully, But.... While "update-grub"

Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-kali4-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.19.0-kali4-amd64
WARNING: Device /dev/sda not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda2 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda3 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda4 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda5 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda6 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda7 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda8 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda9 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda2 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda3 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda4 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda5 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda6 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda7 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda8 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
WARNING: Device /dev/sda9 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
done

don't know what the above error mean

aldzo
2019-09-10, 10:42

mkdir /mnt/hostrun
chroot /mnt
mkdir /run/lvm
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt/hostrun
umount /mnt/run/lvm
umount /mnt

I tried this. But I get this error when executing this line "grub-install /dev/sda".

This errors pops-up:
grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI variable BootOrder.
grub-install: warning: vars_set_variable: write() failed: No space left on device.
grub-install: warning: _efi_set_variable_mode: ops->set_variable() failed: No such file or directory.
grub-install: error: failed to register the EFI boot entry: No such file or directory.

_defalt
2019-09-11, 03:21
Don't follow my post on page 1. My last post on this page contains updated instructions. Run them.

Ignore warnings from update-grub command.

What exactly is the issue you are facing?

Have you tried this way?

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?45088-dual-boot-option-disapear

kabir
2019-11-18, 09:54

how to fix this error???

_defalt
2019-11-22, 09:47

how to fix this error???
Reinstall grub: -UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10 (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36601-UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10)

Greesh Sah
2020-01-16, 14:10
oot@kali:~# sudo mount /dev/sda7 /mnt
root@kali:~# mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
root@kali:~# mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
root@kali:~# mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
root@kali:~# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
root@kali:~# mount -o remount,rw /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
root@kali:~# mkdir /mnt/hostrun
root@kali:~# mount --bind /run /mnt/hostrun
root@kali:~# chroot /mnt
root@kali:/# mkdir /run/lvm
root@kali:/# mount --bind /hostrun/lvm /run/lvm
root@kali:/# grub-install /dev/sda
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
grub-install: warning: Cannot set EFI variable Boot0004.
grub-install: warning: vars_set_variable: write() failed: No space left on device.
grub-install: warning: _efi_set_variable_mode: ops->set_variable() failed: No such file or directory.

I am stuck here from a week now!
Please help me out

RChadwick
2020-02-11, 04:59
I have the same issue Installing Kali. I'm installing on a Winbook TW802. It originally had Windows on it, and I have no desire to dual boot. I was encouraged that deleting the .efi file changed symptoms somewhat, but didn't get things working. I used gparted to delete all partitions, including the EFI partition, and reinstalled, but I still get the grub dummy failure. I have tried the instructions above, but when booting to live Kali, the Kali flash drive is sda1, and the internal drive is mmcblk1p, and the EFI partition is mmcblk1p1. I tried modifying the directions, but I get the same errors as the message above. I've been working on this for days, and I'm out of ideas.

RChadwick
2020-02-13, 03:12
After more research, this problem, at least for me, may be because of the Bay Trail Atom in my tablet. A number of people have had problems installing any Linux on these machines. It seems related to the 32 bit UEFI, and apparently adding, or replacing the bootia32.efi on the .ISO is supposed to fix it, but I can't figure out how to do that. The only program I have that can edit ISOs is PowerISO, and every time I make any change, it creates a non-bootable ISO. If I try to edit the USB drive, there's no room, and I've been unsuccessful resizing the partition.
If it helps anyone solve their problem, here's the links I gathered:

https://www.***********************MEf4GXdQ3IQ - Not showing up, it's Youtube.com plus /watch?v=MEf4GXdQ3IQ

https://www.***********************nsp8XFcAS7o - TS100 Youtube, same as above, plus /watch?v=nsp8XFcAS7o

https://web.archive.org/web/20180203050437/http://www.infosoda.com/ubuntu-tw700-1/

https://web.archive.org/web/20180202024525/http://www.jfwhome.com/2014/03/07/perfect-ubuntu-or-other-linux-on-the-asus-transformer-book-t100/

http://www.jfwhome.com/2016/01/04/latest-steps-to-install-ubuntu-on-the-asus-t100ta/

https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asus-t100ta/blob/master/boot/bootia32.efi

https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asus-t100ta/tree/master/boot

marrosh
2020-02-14, 08:53
This temporary fix may work: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/379774/grub-installation-failed

I'll soon add this fix to make proper instructions.

Else, try this @AlexZander

Boot into kali live,

mount /dev/sda* /mnt
mkdir /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
mount --bind /sys/firmware/efi/efivars /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
rm /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/dump-*
mkdir /mnt/boot/efi
mkdir /mnt/hostrun
chroot /mnt
mkdir /run/lvm
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys/firmware/efi/efivars
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt/hostrun
umount /mnt/run/lvm
umount /mnt
REBOOT

@_defalt Thank you for your work! Your updated post was working for me.

People, please, don't use post on top of the first page, this one is up-to-date and should work.

I was installing Kali 2020.1 over Debian 8 and during installation the problem with "Unable to install grub in dummy" came up.

note: I also removed (in Kali Live cmd) /mnt/EFI/kali/grubx64.efi after mounting #mount /dev/sda2 /mnt (sda2 is my EFI part.), but I don't think it took any effect, since installation was unsuccessful even for 2nd attempt.

marrosh
2020-02-14, 08:57
And as was mentioned somewhere above, after successful GRUB installation, you need to do update-grub command again in installed Kali in order to find Windows bootloader.

Ak331
2020-02-15, 11:51
Hey guys i have both WIN 10 and kali linus but dont have grub bootloader.
Win 10 is in SSD ( /dev/sda )
Kali linux is in HDD in a created partition( /dev/sdb5 )
Now my question is that i should install grub bootloader in EFI partition of SSD or HDD
,I mean sda1 or sdb1 .

RChadwick
2020-02-17, 22:56
I'm glad it's working for you.
When I get to the grub-install, I get these errors-
sudo grub-install /dev/mmcblk1
installing for i386-efi platform
grub-install Warning Cannot set EFI Variable Boot0000
grub-install Warning vars_set_variable Write() failed no space left on device
grub-install Warning _efi_set_variable_mode ops->set_variable() failed No such file or directory
grub-install error failed to register the EFI boot entry No such file or directory

Ak331
2020-02-18, 13:28
Similar message occurs when I try installing in my SSD where Windows is located.
I am talking about installing in HDD .
When I install in [ /dev/sdb ]
It shows installing for 86_64 efi platform.
But nothing happens even after waiting for long.
😭😭😭

clicklims
2020-04-13, 15:52
is this problem able to overcome the grub password

clicklims
2020-04-13, 16:23
is this problem can overcome to forgot grub password

mkdir /mnt/hostrun
chroot /mnt
mkdir /run/lvm
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev
umount /mnt/proc
umount /mnt/sys
umount /mnt/boot/efi
umount /mnt/hostrun
umount /mnt/run/lvm
umount /mnt

Nobody576
2020-07-02, 10:40
worked perfectly until this part:
I get the following error:
mount: /run/lvm: special device /hostrun/lvm does not exist.
Any idea on how to fix this?

Temporaryusername
2020-07-27, 07:41
Same problem here.

Temporaryusername
2020-07-27, 15:36
Yea! It no work for me to

Temporaryusername
2020-07-28, 19:44
Mkdir /hostrun/lvm

_defalt
2020-08-22, 05:24
The error grub-install dummy failed comes when you already have grub installed from earlier kali installation. I've updated the post along with the source thread.

If you have dual booted kali with Windows and you are installing kali in different storage unit like HDD and your Windows is in SSD, then your EFI partition is already present in SSD so this is where grub will also be installed. So don't give the name of HDD while installing grub.

Regarding /hostrun/lvm, I've to see it. You can try skipping it.

Temporaryusername
2020-08-22, 06:08
The error grub-install dummy failed comes when you already have grub installed from earlier kali installation. I've updated the post along with the source thread.

If you have dual booted kali with Windows and you are installing kali in different storage unit like HDD and your Windows is in SSD, then your EFI partition is already present in SSD so this is where grub will also be installed. So don't give the name of HDD while installing grub.

Regarding /hostrun/lvm, I've to see it. You can try skipping it.

I?ve completely wiped my SSD and HDD drive with a disk wipe tool, and I am installing Kali Linux only on SSD, yet I still receive same error.

_defalt
2020-08-25, 09:51
I?ve completely wiped my SSD and HDD drive with a disk wipe tool, and I am installing Kali Linux only on SSD, yet I still receive same error.

You might have left EFI partition in SSD. Boot into kali-live through USB live boot and delete all partitions in SSD. You can use Gparted tool for that. Then install kali.

Temporaryusername
2020-08-25, 16:19
You might have left EFI partition in SSD. Boot into kali-live through USB live boot and delete all partitions in SSD. You can use Gparted tool for that. Then install kali.

I have. Many times.

Temporaryusername
2020-08-25, 18:20

I?ve deleted every partition from every harddrive.
I have booted live and through EFIBOOTMGR i have deleted every efi entry.

Yet it keeps giving me a boot grub failed on installation. No matter what.

Over and over and over again.

_defalt
2020-08-26, 09:21
Go to UEFI settings and see if there's an entry of kali there? Which PC are you using? In HP, UEFI loads enteries of bootloader from EFI everytime on boot. In Dell, it keeps the entry persistent.

Temporaryusername
2020-08-26, 14:30
Go to UEFI settings and see if there's an entry of kali there? Which PC are you using? In HP, UEFI loads enteries of bootloader from EFI everytime on boot. In Dell, it keeps the entry persistent.

I have an intel motherboaed so i cant secure boot to remove entries

_defalt
2020-08-30, 16:31
I have an intel motherboaed so i cant secure boot to remove entries

Go to your UEFI settings. Explore options there. You will find something related else post screenshots.

Temporaryusername
2020-09-09, 16:37
Go to your UEFI settings. Explore options there. You will find something related else post screenshots.

There is nothing at all.

_defalt
2020-09-12, 10:46
There is nothing at all.

Then follow the guide I posted earlier to reinstall grub.

Can you show the output of fdisk -l?

Also post screenshots of your UEFI settings.