PDA

View Full Version : Alfa AWUS036H cannot discover WIFI networks

musahala
2017-05-22, 03:25
Hello All

I am running Kali 2017.1 on virtual box. So far I have tried 3 wireless cards to the machine. Kali is detecting my wifi cards completely fine. The issue is at first Kali can not discover any wifi for 5-10 minutes.2473. After a while it does discovers the wifi networks, but it gives error when connecting to it. 2474. To add on, I successfully tried my card on monitor mode, sniffing packets, and also launched a deauth. attack on my dummy/test device.

I noticed the MAC of my wifi card is changing alot in Kali and randomly without me changing it. Could this be an issue?

I tried all the forums, tutorial videos etc. to look for a fix, but unfortunately I guess, this is a unique problem maybe?. Thank you.

grid
2017-05-22, 11:39
How does your Alfa work outside a VM? Personally, I've always found VMs problematic when doing wireless work.

musahala
2017-05-22, 13:25
How does your Alfa work outside a VM? Personally, I've always found VMs problematic when doing wireless work.

Hi Grid. My card works perfectly fine outside VM on host. It is simple plug n play for me on my host.

grid
2017-05-24, 11:32
I have that same model Alfa card, and on a non-VM, it works great. Plug-n-play, like you said.

I'd say the problem is with the VM itself, or VirtualBox. Have you contacted VirtualBox support?