PDA

View Full Version : MacBook Pro Late 2011 single boot problems

Knightdea
2017-07-09, 05:14
Hi,

I am completely new to Linux. So imagine my frustration with this installation.

I followed the guide to the teeth on how to install a single boot kali distro on my MacBook Pro. Downloaded my iso x64 image, then burned it to a DVD. Inserted the DVD and followed all the instructions. Plugged in my Ethernet cable. Got my network detected. Chose "yes" on the network mirror, after that installation completed with no errors whatsoever.

Installed grub bootloader and got to the screen where it says the the installation is completed, the DVD ejected automatically and simply by pressing ENTER the laptop reboots.

Ok, this is where it gets frustrating. I'm stuck at boot.

When it tries to boot it says:

"/dev/sda2: recovering journal
/dev/sda2: clean, 322442/45498386 files, 5119674/181986048 blocks"

At this point I research what this message is all about and apparently is just telling me that the system just tested the drive and all is "ok".

Which is great! But it just hangs there.

So I go back to the installation guide and see that there is another step that I didn't get to do, because I simply can't do it from grub.

Step 15 and 16 of the guide.

Basically I can't run the command "apt-get update", not from grub at least, which I suppose is more of a boot manager than a fully loaded terminal.

So, I reboot and try the *advanced options for kali Linux GNU/Linux by hitting the down arrow on my keyboard upon rebooting and after hitting enter I see (recovery mode).

Then it panics and stops at the last line saying:

"10.289646] fb: switching to radeondrmfb from EFI VGA

Ok, I guess it's a video driver problem or something (I have no idea actually). So I reboot and then use the key "e" to modify the boot instructions and edited the Linux "ro" line from "quiet" to "nomodeset" and also on (recovery mode) by replacing the word "single" to "nomodeset".

When I do this on recovery mode it stops at the line:

"OK] Started update UTMP about system runlevel changes.

Above that line I notice a line that says:

"18.934017 IPv6: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_UP): eth0: link is not ready

Ok, I guess doing this without the Ethernet cable connected is not good. I connect the cable again and do the same steps only to find myself with the same message but a few other lines saying wlan0 is not ready, started LSB
reaches target multi user system
Reached target graphical interface
Starting update UTMP about system runlevel changes...
Started update UTMP about system runlevel changes.
b43-phy0: loading firmware version 666.2 (2011-02-23 1:15:07)

And that's it.... it's stuck there.

Any help?

Thanks in advance.

I wrote all this on my iPhone so imagine... :p

Knightdea
2017-07-09, 17:07
Ok. I got the live kali to boot from the DVD directly and did step 15 and 16, apt-get update and apt-get install gdisk.

Followed all instructions for mbr and such. But sill, same msgs if I try to boot from the installed kali on hard drive.

-another thing in noticed is that on the kali live from DVD I can't get the wifi to work.

It detects all the wifi I got in my house but when I try to login by entering the password for the wifi, it asks for the password over and over again. No error of "wrong password" or anything, just hangs for a few seconds and asks for the password again for my wifi network.

I don't know if this information helps.

rodgermoore
2017-07-18, 09:46
Hi there,

Running into the exact same scenario :(

Haven't found a solution yet.