PDA

View Full Version : Surface laptop keyboard not working/recognized

therealhooz
2017-08-25, 00:00
Hello, Let me first start off by saying I am relatively new to Linux as a whole and have spent around 15-20 hours of my time trying to get the surface laptop keyboard to work. I have tried 2017-W34 and the track-pad won't work at all in that version or any mouse I try to connect to the surface laptop so that's a no go. In my current config Kali doesn't even seen the keyboard as being connected. I can boot into windows and find the device ID and I attempted to add it manually in to a folder(i forgot the name of it i tried this very early on) and it would not work. I think adding the device ID will be the solution but I am not sure where exactly would be the right place to add it in. I have tried re-installing kali several times and using the ubuntu and debian patches floating around online and to no avail they don't work. I tried this one right before I wrote this up, https://lkml.org/lkml/2014/11/3/1016. See below as to where I am at now.

I attempted this https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?33216-Kali-Linux-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4 and it didn't fix it.

Using 2017.1 I updated with below commands
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get dist-upgrade
restart
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
restart
(tried the keyboard nothing)

My current Uname -a
Linux kali 4.12.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.12.6-1kali1 (2017-08-18) x86_64 GNU/linux

What is weird to me is how it updated to "Kali1" because looking at others outputs it seems they have Kali 3/4. Again I am new so it I am not sure what the difference is but I do know 1 is before 4 so something must be jacked up there. I am seriously out of ideas and I am exhausted trying to get this to work and my lack of knowledge is certainly probably stopping me but I have tried googling everything and piecing it all together but I am at a stand still now. I am sure someone has a fix for this and I would greatly appreciate it I will try ANYTHING you post that you can think of, if you need to see any outputs let me know.

dmcxdavid
2017-10-16, 08:37
Having some sort of the same issue I start my Dell then kali does some crazy like fuzzy screen then I normally start on to the login screen but neither my kayboard or Mousepad Work and everything was working really fine but I just if over night and it stopped working like on a really long frozen screen I tried formatting into 0's and reinstalling Kali but all to the same result and I cant do no restore cause well I deleted that partition I live USB into my machinge but even the Live as issues Im starting to woder that it some hardware related but trying to waste all my software options before I start unscrewing this baby up Ive been hoping its not a kernel panic but Ive seen the logs and that doesnt seem the case

bigbiz
2017-10-16, 10:36
You need "drivers" for your device. Since kali runs on the Debian desktop. Find out if your device has available drivers at the Debian Linux Webpage. This isn't a Kali Linux problem per sa.
But they try to pick the best desktop to run off of. Also Ubuntu is a good place.