PDA

View Full Version : Kali Linux freezes for no reason

fonestar
2017-11-08, 16:49
Never had this issue with Kali before in years I have been using it. System just randomly freezes, the only thing that can fix it is to hard-power-off the laptop. I am running an encrypted volume if that makes any difference? Install done on brand new 500GB Samsung SSD, scanned with no errors. I have tried changing grub with nolapic, noapic, acpi=off which can cause other problems with browsing and audio. I've tried tweaking gdm3 as recommended by some other users, with no real success. But before someone comes and says "this is a gnome problem not a kali problem" why should a desktop manager be able to cause problems for a properly implemented OS? It never should. Any ideas on real fixes (not just tweaks) for this or maybe time to look more seriously at BSD?

_defalt
2017-11-08, 18:56
At which point it starts freezing?

fonestar
2017-11-08, 19:15
At which point it starts freezing?

I am not doing anything specific when it freezes. Sometimes the laptop has been on for one day, sometimes 20 minutes when it freezes. I also have Kali Rolling 2.0 installed on a server (no disk encryption) and don't seem to have that problem with that computer.

_defalt
2017-11-09, 04:45
I would investigate the issue in /var/log/messages and dmesg and see what causes the system crash.

abhisingh
2017-12-18, 05:10
like fonestar i am also suffering same problem on my laptop. In my case sometimes my laptop freezes when its idle or randomly during programming even during shut down. The only thing i can to is to hard shut down. But i am using same version of kali on my desktop and does not get freeze i any normal case