PDA

View Full Version : Help Installing Kali 2017.2 on Windows 8.1 USB

driverjuice
2017-11-22, 17:01
I have downloaded the kali.iso from the website and have tried installing several times with no success. I have used the following programs: Unetbootin, Kali linux live usb, rufus, and win32 diskimgr to create the usb with the 2017.2 64-bit iso loaded onto it. The install proceeded fine until I came to the partition screen. My partitions were fine after being completed in the above programs as they were formatted with Fat32. After the partition was deleted and then manually reconstructed, I would click on finish partitioning and write changes to disk. After doing so, I would click continue to complete the rest of the install, but I always received the same of "No EFI partition was found." And the install was prevented from going any further.

I then followed the instructions on the post

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...=beginner+kali

and this also did not work, returning the same error.

I am unsure on how to proceed and wonder if anyone has successfully put this distro on a USB and installed on windows 8, 8.1, or 10 and how they did it?

I have windows 8.1 x86 64-bit and am using the UFEI startup.

_defalt
2017-11-24, 09:51
Is Windows 8.1 also on USB?

driverjuice
2017-11-24, 20:04
No windows 8.1 was not on usb.

I just installed kali using virbox and it works fine, thank you.

_defalt
2017-11-24, 20:20
You can actually install kali on your USB too. Plug a USB with unallocated partition. Use a bootable USB of kali and choose that USB partition where you want to install. By default will grub will be installed in the EFI partition in your hard drive.