PDA

View Full Version : Generic Linux Headres in Kali Linux

M3curio
2018-01-07, 15:41
Hi!
Some time ago i've tried a live Ubunutu 17.10 distro without knowing it has a bug which breaks BIOSes (bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1734147). Since that day i cannot save BIOS settings and i cannot use cds or usb sticks to boot in to other OS.
On my pc i've already installed Windows and Kali Linux (dual-boot) .
In order to fix that problem i should update my kernel version at 4.14.9, but Kali uses a custom kernel...
my question is: Does update my kernel at version 4.14.9 using linux-generic-headers will break my kali machine? If yes, how can i solve this problem?

Thanks!

Mister_X
2018-01-07, 20:11
Could you explain what the current situation is with kali and what the problem is?

I don't see why updating the kernel, as long as it is done through packages (or if you know how to compile your own and deal with it properly):
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

M3curio
2018-01-07, 20:23
There is no problem with Kali, it works.
But in order to fix my problem with the BIOS i have to install kernel at version 4.14.9, my question is: if i compile it my own and install will it break my kali machine?

grid
2018-01-08, 12:27
I'd say at minimum you'll lose wireless packet injection capability, since the Kali kernel is patched for it.

_defalt
2018-01-08, 13:56
Either wait for kali to update its kernel to your needed version or wait for the the new iso of ubuntu 17.10 which is going to be uploaded soon.

I also don't think that kali can fix your firmware. The problem was created by the Intel SPI driver in ubuntu 17.10. The link you posted in your thread also has a fix. Do you have ubuntu installed?

M3curio
2018-01-08, 17:39
I don't have Ubuntu installed. Ubuntu bricked my BIOS when I was trying it with a live usb.