PDA

View Full Version : Create new partition, adding USB persistence with LUKS encryption

etii
2018-01-15, 01:37
Hello,

I'm having some issues with creating a new partition on my newly imaged USB. I installed a kali-linux-2017.3-i386.iso on a SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 64gb as I have many times before via a hybrid Mac. This time the hybrid's second OS is Kali 2018.1. In the past I'd used 2017 versions of Kali. Now when I try to create the third partition, the partition does not show with fdisk -l. The other two partitions /dev/sdb1 Hidden HPFS/NTFS and /dev/sdb2 FAT12 show and boot just fine.

I did verify my USB drive locations with fdisk -l prior to my attempts to creating the new partition. My hybrid is /dev/sda & my newly imaged USB is /dev/sdb. I also verified my kali image is in the same directory I'm working in with ls.

The code used to create the partition was taken directly from the kali.org website http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-persistence. Please see below.

end=7gb

read start _ < <(du -bcm kali-linux-2016.2-amd64.iso | tail -1); echo $start parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary $start $end

I went as far as to try imaging another USB (same type) and had the same issue. I can image the USB and boot into Kali, but when I try to create the third partition, it does not show with fdisk -l.

This is the output I keep getting after entering the above CODE.

2809 parted /dev/sdb mkpart primary 2809 56

Any help is appreciated.