PDA

View Full Version : No common cd-rom drive detected installing from USB HDD

derpderp
2013-04-30, 17:45
I am trying to install Kali Linux as a dual-boot with Windows 7 from my external HDD. The download is from the official site, I used Chrome to download. I am installing kali to a Dell Inspiron Mini 10 netbook with no cd-rom available to use.

I have followed the instructions in http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install for installing to my usb drive (a Buffalo external HDD, not stick) and then the instructions at http://docs.kali.org/installation/dual-boot-kali-with-windows to install from the live disk. I partitioned space on the HDD of the netbook and that went fine, but I am getting stuck at Detect and mount CD-ROM. The error is "No common CD-ROM drive was detected". Being told that I have to load additional drivers for the removable media.

I am given an option to look for the driver module in /dev/ but have had no luck figuring if there is a module that will work. Any ideas?

derpderp
2013-05-02, 10:29
Just to let people know if you are having this issue, when you are prompted to install drivers from CD, say no, this will give you an option in graphical or normal install to choose where to find the drivers, you can find them in /dev/sbd. So just change the path to /dev/sdb and the drivers for the usb hdd will load.

IAmDengZ
2013-05-14, 15:52
don't use NTFS format when you create a bootable kali linux via usb ... use fat32 or fat .. this happened for me but when i repeat my process in creating a bootable kali into FAT32 the cd-rom detects a kali linux installation.

maverik35
2013-05-14, 22:10
Use the external HDD to boot, then choose the text or manual installation from menu..Do not use live and try to install it from there..

And try to avoid Graphical Installation...

Njinx
2015-10-27, 22:36
Just to let people know if you are having this issue, when you are prompted to install drivers from CD, say no, this will give you an option in graphical or normal install to choose where to find the drivers, you can find them in /dev/sbd. So just change the path to /dev/sdb and the drivers for the usb hdd will load.

I still couldn't find it. Do you know of any other solutions?

Laneo2007
2015-12-23, 03:49
I'm getting an error myself, it says no disk drive detected. I have a brand new SSD 120G in the slot and it still says that.
i've tried it formatted in exFAT and NTFS. still no luck still get the same error. I'm about to try to fix it with a hammer...

Zedo244
2016-02-28, 16:05
FIX FOR INSTALLING KALI LINUX UNABLE TO MOUNT CD ROM

Hey guys this fix works for me because the other fixes where you unplug the USB or when you open a terminal to mount it don't work use this

Assuming your booting from a USB, do not use any other program but win32disk imger everything else doesn't work

nnttGordon
2016-03-08, 08:15
FIX FOR INSTALLING KALI LINUX UNABLE TO MOUNT CD ROM

Hey guys this fix works for me because the other fixes where you unplug the USB or when you open a terminal to mount it don't work use this

Assuming your booting from a USB, do not use any other program but win32disk imger everything else doesn't work

Thanks, worked for me...