PDA

View Full Version : How to install Kali Linux to Hard Disk

muts
2013-02-01, 13:12
Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux (http://docs.kali.org/downoading/download-official-kali-linux-images) and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install) as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install (http://docs.kali.org/network-install/kali-linux-network-pxe-install).

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-hard-disk-install) article.

If you have any issues with this procedure, please post them in this thread.

MrBeans
2013-03-18, 15:58
Hi ! My error while loading shows : GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)"
I'm unable to do anything , error keeps re-spawning

milehighinterceptor
2013-04-13, 15:54
after installing amd 64 in my hp pavilion using a live dvd, total failure trying to log in . kali wont grant me access.. im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros? everything goes smooth up until I have to log in **fix** reinstall and use kali as host ,root as user, toor as password. after install you can change the host name .. there's a tutorial on youtube with terminal commands as well ..

XxsithlordxX
2013-05-23, 19:00
im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros?
I am having the same problem. I managed to get Kali installed, but now I am unable to login, it keeps saying "authentication failure" and yes, I have checked my password and username is also correct.

r3d
2013-05-25, 19:40
same problem here, been trying for a while now and can't get in..... just installed Kali btw.

r3d
2013-05-26, 04:31
got it now all you have to do is log in: root password: the one you made on the intallation progress :)

kjohnsrude
2013-05-29, 20:05
Downloaded kali-linux-1.0.2-i386.torrent and mounted ISO on a virtual drive.

Followed directions on http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-hard-disk-install to install Kali on VirtualBox running on Windows 7. When I try to boot in regular mode I get the Kali splash screen and then the error:

Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. Please contact a system administrator.

I can boot in recovery mode, but I'm unsure what I should try next.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

MTCONE
2013-05-30, 05:31
I have a netbook (EeePC 1000HE) and a Q6600 Desktop. I ave tried installing x86 and x64 versions. I have used both the Mini.iso as well as Gnome/KDE versions of 1.0.1, 1.0.2, etc. I have tried almost every conceivable configuration, including manual partitioning, guided partitioning, both with and without encryption. It seems as though no matter what I do, I always get the same result. "Failed to Install the System". I get all the way through all the partitioning. I have tried graphical installation as well as text.

I have read that there is a bug that Kali doesn't like a separate /home partition, and it will result in this error. But I get the error regardless of my partition scheme.

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong?

todd
2013-06-02, 05:06
I am having this same problem also installing on a Dell inspiron Mini .. I tested first using the Live usb and everything worked great so i decidded to install.
i use the full disk and durring "install the system" i get error " Installation step failed adn installation setp failed. You can try to run the failing item again from
the menu, or skip it and choose somthinhg else. The failing set is : install the system." I have tried this 5 times using the gnome ISO and mini. No luck.
I would hate to always have to use the usb in live mode all the time. :(

kjohnsrude
2013-06-03, 18:08
Fixed problem by doubling the HD size to 16 Gb.

stormsight
2013-06-06, 19:48
downloaded kali-linux-1.0.3-i386.iso
i get this error
Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: 0
it happens during the boot and i can't do anything as it reappears forever in an endless cycle
can't test the 64bit version as my laptop does not support it

brazen
2013-06-27, 20:55
http://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?17680-Kali-amd64-install-macbook-pro-8-3-os-x-10-8-4-dual-boot-with-rEFIT-boot-loader-used

teloris
2013-07-31, 03:37
Hi ! My error while loading shows : GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)"
I'm unable to do anything , error keeps re-spawning

use pendrivelinux to create usb bootable kali
it's worked for me :D

Kanunsuz
2013-08-04, 13:33
Thanks you dude.

clock
2013-09-19, 14:55
I get the error " The attemp to mount a file system with the type ext4 in /dev/sdb1 at / failed. Then it asked if I want to resume partitioning from the partitioning menu. I have Kali downloaded on a dvd and I am trying to install it to a clean external hard drive windows 8. If anyone can help me please let me know. Thank you for all of the help in advance!

deep
2013-10-15, 07:58
hello!
i've got problem installing kali on my hdd. it give the error - UNABLE TO RUN C:\WINDOWS\SYSNATIVE\BCDEDIT.EXE
and then the installation aborts everytime!
plz help!

out0fstep
2013-10-31, 00:40
Hello, I am currently running a dual boot win7/BT5 setup, i loaded kali to usb, but when i boot off it, i only get the option to boot live and not install. do i need to delete the BT5 partitions or something?

Mrquiety
2013-11-16, 07:14
Hello Everyone Here What i have made for all of you How to install Kali Linux (http://geekyshow.blogspot.in/2013/08/how-to-install-kali-linux-on-your-hard.html)

polyphemus
2014-01-06, 11:47
I installed Kali on a one of my 3 partitions just fine, booted into windows 8.1 though just fine, but my partition that I shrunk to fit Kali on was no longer visible. I went to disk management and noticed that my partition wasn't "Active"....So what did I do....I activated it, ignoring the warning that I shouldn't activate it unless there is an OS present on that partition. I'm an idiot. That partition only had my data on it, not the windows install....so now I rebooted (for the changes to take effect) and am now in the Grub Rescue mode. I have no clue how to "deactivate" that partition, someone please help so I can use my computer again!

Edit: I can still probably boot from my USB LIVE Kali however I have no clue what to do from there.....

kartic_iyer
2014-01-26, 10:58
Hi

I am finding it difficult with kali linux to make it a multi arch. Although i succeded, why doesnt kali supply it as multiarch. It cumbersome in a slow speed network in india to download hugefiles. Dont bother about initial size of kali linux. you can sell it as product we will be willing to pay

Mwitura
2014-02-25, 20:11
hi all,i tried to install kali on my pc and when i reached this http://docs.kali.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/partman-auto_init_automatically_partition_0.png
i want to choose manual option and when i enter there dont know what to do there can someone help me please guys :)
(sorry for bad english)

Mr-Mind
2014-03-19, 23:12
OK, I checked all the threads here looking for my problem - nope not present, so here it is. Trying to install i386 version on an HP Pavillion dv5000 from a DVD, I got it from a friend that has been using Kali for a while now, 20 some odd years using Linux. The problem? during install (after getting needed b43 files) install gets to "scanning disks" on the starting up the partitioner screen --only one HD, toshiba 80 GiG already formated for linux install -- at 50% it freezes. I have tested the drive, swapped to a newer drive (WD 40 GiG) swapped back, installed mint as a test, it is only the Kali install that has the problem.... so .... what am I doing wrong?

Awans Reciber
2014-03-26, 09:34
when I installed my pc kalilinux 1.0.6 I. it's stuck on scanning hardisk or cannot show the partition table. when I check it, it error parse_partition_table=error,,, anybody help me???? I really appreciate that.

rajattyagi72
2014-03-27, 20:52
Firstly, wit h live 686 pae ,from application /install kali linux I ve got error msg of kernel mismatch and I 've got nothing to fix it.
But continue the installation process I've an error msgof grub boot loader not installed and then LILO boot loade r not installed
Now I have complete installation without boot loader what shoud I do.
I loses my all data, window everything for kali but got nothing.

blackkalima
2014-03-28, 17:27
Hi all,
I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
Thanks,
Bob

piita
2014-06-15, 16:01
the same here

Tekitomo
2014-06-29, 20:12
Hi,
I am new to Linux, can someone give me a hand?
I have a Mac Pro with 3 internal hard disks, on two I have OSX 10.9.3 and on the other one I have installed Kali 10.0.7 after having downloaded it and burned it on a CD as an iso file. I have also installed rEFIt and everything seemed to be in order. Unfortunately when I reboot with rEFIt and I select the hard disk with the penguin icon a window opens saying "no bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key", so I get stuck, it's as if the hard disk is empty and it's asking for the installation CD.
When I restart and reboot on OSX the system tells me that one of my hard disks (where I have installed Linux) is not readable. In fact it has disappeared from the desk top and It's only visible using the utility disk. I have also tried changing the formatting of the hard disk, first with "Mac OS Extended"
and then with "MS-DOS FAT" but nothing changes. Where am I going wrong? The installation DVD works fine, I tried in "live mode" and it worked, the installation went smoothly, maybe there is something wrong with the formatting of the hard disk?
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Tekitomo

invister
2014-07-17, 14:20
hi i am new to the forum

I don't want to make a LIVE usb of kali linux. I want to see that "Install Linux" which appears after burning the ISO on a DVD & booting through it.

I've tried two software - usb live creater and an another. Both give me the Live versions, not the DVD type installation.

I don't have am optical drive on my new laptop & it's the only machine I got so installing on network is too out of reach.

Can anyone guide me?

Aditya
2014-08-20, 13:56
Hi all,
I can't get my HP Pavillion laptop to even recognize that there's a USB or CD (I've tried both) with kali loaded at startup. I've searched the this forum and the web, but can't seem to find an answer. I have created bootable USBs with other linux distros (Opensuse, Ubuntu, Mint) and installed them on this HP laptop many times with no problem so I dont think this is a hardware issue. I've also used the same USB writer (the one that comes with mint) for other distros - so shouldn't be a problem there. I've downloaded this file: Kali Linux 1.0.6 64 Bit ISO from: http://www.kali.org/downloads/ many times and burned it to both USB(3 different brands) and CD numerous times. When I turn on my laptop with the USB or CD expecting to get a Kali boot screen or Kali as a grub menu option - no luck, just straight to my current OS - Mint. I have of course disabled secure boot-enabled legacy boot-and put usb at the top of the boot order.
Any suggestions? I really want to try this out
Thanks,
Bob

Yeah Same goes on for me. I also happen to own HP Pavillion and tried installing Kali 1.0.8 on my USB Disk. The output I get is same that of yours, i.e Pendrive does not get detected. The only difference in our scenario is that I have not enabled Legacy Boot since Windows 8 is installed on my notebook

baroud8812
2014-09-02, 17:26
Hi, I have installed the latest version of kali in live usb and it work pretty good. But when I want to install it in the hard drive from the boot menu it failed everytime. So I have tried to install it from the live-usb Application - Install Kali but I have got thies message :

Kernel version mismatch

Live system kernel and installer kernel don't match

The installer can only be used if the kernel version of the live system (3.14-kali1-686-pae) and of the installer (3.14-kali1-486) are the same.

Please reboot with the correct kernel (3.14-kali1-486).

If I continu the installation it failed. I think I have got a kernels trouble because my laptop is too old.I have never used Linux before, this is my first linux distribution so I am completely lost.
How can I change the kernel of the live-system (3.14-kali1-686-pae) to the correct kernel (3.14-kali1-486) in live usb mode or from windows maybe (But I don't think it is possible) ?
I also apologize for my english but I am french, nobody is perfect :)

Schwank
2014-09-21, 14:55
Ok so here's the problem I am having:

I downloaded the .iso onto a DVD and it boots up fine. The network configuration part of the install, however, isn't working for me. I select my SSID and select WPA and enter the correct password. To make sure I'm using the right password I "forgot" my ssid on my other devices in order to re-enter the password and thus verifying what it is. Even after that it will tell me my passkey in incorrect. I had this issue with 1.0.8 and saw in a couple of forums that it was a bug or something with that version. I was really hoping that with .9 I wouldn't have the same problem. I must be doing something wrong, please help. Thank you.

spider.samaraa
2014-11-08, 22:04
Hello
When you install Linux Kali on the hard disk, and you divide the hard and used it, but I have a problem when I enter into the browser entirely depends upon the system, as well as access to the settings Brajkm..uandma What solution do I run it from USB work well

nimshen
2014-12-07, 10:51
downloaded the iso file for 64 bit directly and burned the image on a DVD.nothing special,done it before.
brand new Lenovo laptop with i3 processor an 8GB ram so no problem with the system demand and the BIOS was fixed to start booting from the disk drive.
why doesn't it boot up?
any way I downloaded the wrong image?
tried to get the files from torrent and got 2 files one was Iso and not sure about the other since it was a txt file with an added file ending.
what is the second file for?

please help

Superkazy
2014-12-14, 17:09
Hi there I am having a problem that I just can't solve for days now with installing linux.
The problem I have tried using multiple media tipes picks all of them up fine(usb,external,dvd ect) and i use that image in a vm that works fine ,but the problem is where I try to native install when I boot into the iso and get the boot menu and select install it gives me and error right after the selection and doesnt allow me to install and hangs ....I have updated my bios ,formated and repartitioned and then run linux first but to no avail and still get the error. I have tried other distro's of linux but get the same error.I attached a picture of the error. I just cant find the cause of the error yet I tried cmos reset ect and just can't get this rubbish error to *** off.
WOuld be much appreciated if someone can help me out.

Edit:
Swearing

RaviYadav
2015-01-18, 15:01
hi... all I have downloaded a kali iso i386 but I want to install it on dell inspiron 1545 with core 2 duo processor and 2 gb ram.... but i have read here that it need 4 gb ram...
please tell me how can i install it... thankyou

saskiller
2015-02-12, 21:58
I had this issue a while ago before giving up but the issue:

I installed Kali successfully onto a laptop running an SSD. Whenever I rebooted after the install, there was an issue with the... how would I say, backlighting was non-existant. I was barely able to see anything on the screen. I could see that the screen was still there, the text was still there, but there was no light. I also noted that the light was fine while the PC/OS was booting. I figure it had to be a graphics issue (worked fine in a VM on the same device), but even if there is a driver issue, can it be fixed when I can't login to the OS being that there is no light. Only thing I can think is re-install, fix the issue then reboot after install.

I don't know the graphics device off of my head, but it's likely an AMD device.

sambid
2015-03-20, 11:05
hello i tried installing kali linux on my hard drive but everything freezes when it goes to "detecting network hardware". the problem goes when i boot live and then install kali but then i cannot install grub and lilo . i already tried disabling integrated NIC from bios but the problem wont go. I also tried from dvd as well as pendrive but the same problem with both 64 and 32 bit versions.
my device is:
dell vostro 3450 laptop with
a10 bios
500gb hardrive
4 gb ddr3 ram
integrated NIC and broadcom wifi device

Durg
2015-06-03, 19:05
Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. The i386 images have a default PAE kernel, so you can run them on systems with over 4GB of RAM. Download Kali Linux (http://docs.kali.org/downoading/download-official-kali-linux-images) and either burn the ISO to DVD, or prepare a USB stick with Kali Linux Live (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-live-usb-install) as the installation medium. If you do not have a DVD drive or USB port on your computer, check out the Kali Linux Network Install (http://docs.kali.org/network-install/kali-linux-network-pxe-install).

To read the full document, check our Installing Kali Linux to Hard Drive (http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-hard-disk-install) article.

I tried to install Kali latest 64 bit release (3.0GB).
Unfortunately, it does not let me partition the disk as I want it.
It will clobber other partitions.
How do I get around Kali wanting to use entire disk???

zukazuka314
2015-06-25, 20:55
i want to install kali on vwmare machine but i cant
http://i57.tinypic.com/k9c8pe.png

stealthbyroot
2015-07-06, 11:15
Asus z97-pro(wifi ac) and M.2 SSD issue.
Did anybody manage to install Kali on M.2 SSD disk?
I am trying whole day and nothing. Only errors.....
ata1: hard resetting link
or
sata link down (sstatus ffffffff scontrol ffffffff)

I have feeling that Kali cant see my M.2 SSD hard disk!
Any advice.

duxim
2015-07-26, 15:32
Maybe someone find this helpful.
I used Kali over 3 years and have some experience with installing it on system.
This is "general" steps to install it on laptop (or other computer) with installed Windows XP/7/8/10 on system.

On HP laptops with Windows 7 (wich I used) you have 4 partitions. This is maximum number for partitions in this case.
MBR,System,Recovery an HP Tolls.
1.) This step you need only if you have 4 partition on the system.
First you need to delete one of them (HP tools or Recovery or boot). Same is for other systems with 4 partitions
You can optional backup it , if you want on external media in a case that you want to recover it.
2.)Then you need to shrink the largest partition with Windows (system in this case) for
about 20GB minimum(or how many GB you want to give to Kali)
3.)Optional. Then merge those free space in one. Maybe you need in this step to create one new
partition to complete task. If you do this, after complete this step just delete partition and leave it like this.
This all steps you can perform from Windows itself or with some tool like Minitool partition Wizard or similar tools.
4.)After that just insert your CD/USB with Kali in computer, reboot press install and install it "on first continuous free space"
5.)don't forget to install Grub during installation.

That is all you have to do to install Kali Linux on hhd with dual boot with Windows

Jasser
2015-08-10, 14:05
Hi, today I have installed kali on a partition on my hard disk and there was a problem installing bootloader and I have set the bootable tag as no.
The installation worked perfectly fine. After installation via bootable usb... I restarted my computer normally. I already had win 7, Linux-mint 17 and Linux-mint 17.2 on my system and were working perfectly fine with the GRUB...

But after installation of kali linux... I am not able to boot to kali linux form the grub since grub is not showing an option to boot to kali linux.(The grub is showing the usual options as it was before kali's installation).

My problem : How would I boot into Kali linux now??

dragonhunter4hack
2015-08-11, 13:32
the process for install kali is not so critical. it is very easy process and

only needs proper guidence and some small time. a small mistake can harm your

laptop. you can follow this post. post published in may 2015 so there are less

chances of error and tested on windows platform. please go to

http://moonkinghackersclub.com/how-to-install-kali-linux-in-

duxim
2015-08-11, 23:46
Hi, today I have installed kali on a partition on my hard disk and there was a problem installing bootloader and I have set the bootable tag as no.
The installation worked perfectly fine. After installation via bootable usb... I restarted my computer normally. I already had win 7, Linux-mint 17 and Linux-mint 17.2 on my system and were working perfectly fine with the GRUB...

But after installation of kali linux... I am not able to boot to kali linux form the grub since grub is not showing an option to boot to kali linux.(The grub is showing the usual options as it was before kali's installation).

My problem : How would I boot into Kali linux now??

Just boot into Linux Minit and type update-grub , and after that check grub.cfg in Mint is it kali added to entry

Flamer1423
2015-08-12, 04:52
heu guys i just installed kali 2.0 and seems i wasnt able to do it with network mirros and now i want to add them i;ve tried the ones for kali 1.0 and wheni hit apt-get update it says error 404 not found ......do they have special network morrors for kali 2.0
the ones i used for editing sources file

deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib
deb-src http://http.kali.org/kali kali main non-free contrib

sheol
2015-08-12, 14:53
Hello all,

First of all, I love this product / software, its truly amazing and a special thanks to all the people that are involved with developing such software.
Ive done some searching, and I do apologize if it's already been posted, I'm rather tired but persistent to resolve an issue I just can't seem to figure out.

I can run the USB live not a problem for kali 2.0. But a live version is no good to me as I like to have a permanent copy installed to my hard drive. I use a separate computer that runs my kali system. I won't go into specs as it ran the previous version of kali with no problems. The problem is, that laptop has a broken cd drive. So obviously their are ways to put the .ISO files onto a usb.. which I've done already, with rufus software and also UUI software. However when I go to the install, it keeps trying to mount a CD drive that is non existent, I've even tried an external CD drive with a copy of kali on it, but I can't get the **** thing to mount it. I don't understand how the install steps can be different, Am i missing something? or can't this software be put directly onto a hard drive now. Ive literally got no idea. Made multiple copy's, still no go. I am happy to post some images up tomorrow for further examples, but I think it's a case of not getting the extra steps for the install due to a malfunction in it trying to read the CD drive.. even though I've clearly booted it with the USB.. =[

Please help.

Kind regards

JCDinPGH
2015-08-12, 21:14
I installed Kali 2.0 x64 to an external USB drive by using the install process and when asked where to install the boot loader, I chose the external USB instead of installing the boot loader on the local hard drive. The reason for this, is I would like to be able to take the USB hard drive to other computers and boot off of the USB so it can be completely mobile. This worked fine in the v1.x but with v2, when rebooting and choosing the external USB hard drive to boot from, the boot just completely hangs. I never get the grub menu. I will try the same install but with the x32 version just in case but just wondered if anyone had any ideas? The idea here is to make a completely portable Kali 2.0 since all I need to do is to carry around a small hard drive. I understand I can do the same with a thumb drive, but I think performance will be faster than the thumb drives I have on hand right now.

JCDinPGH
2015-08-13, 03:16
I also tried install the x32 onto a USB harddrive with putting the boot sector on the same USB and it also doesn't boot at all.

I installed Kali 2.0 x64 to an external USB drive by using the install process and when asked where to install the boot loader, I chose the external USB instead of installing the boot loader on the local hard drive. The reason for this, is I would like to be able to take the USB hard drive to other computers and boot off of the USB so it can be completely mobile. This worked fine in the v1.x but with v2, when rebooting and choosing the external USB hard drive to boot from, the boot just completely hangs. I never get the grub menu. I will try the same install but with the x32 version just in case but just wondered if anyone had any ideas? The idea here is to make a completely portable Kali 2.0 since all I need to do is to carry around a small hard drive. I understand I can do the same with a thumb drive, but I think performance will be faster than the thumb drives I have on hand right now.

sheol
2015-08-13, 03:39
Anyone know any commands on how to change it from looking for a cd rom drive to continue loading from the usb for the installer? I've got no idea how to fix this issue. Starting to think its a bug. The old installer didn't give me this much grief as it kept loading from the usb the whole way through. Guess its back to the old kali, . So disappointed atm.

Is their a way to boot into live, then do a hard drive install from their? Literally the last thing i can think off.

cheers anyway.

asidscript
2015-08-13, 09:56
I have created a bootable usb twice now from two different iso's and both have failed, No CD rom detected. could not get passed that, so I decided to whip open my actual kali computer and do a dist upgrade, getting 403's and 404s
though maybe its my firewall, and have tried off a different network, same issue. the new repos i added to the sources are not getting though.
any ideas?

JCDinPGH
2015-08-13, 15:30
FWIW, I also tried installing from CD to a USB harddrive on a completely different machine using a completely different USB enclosure and harddrive and it also does not boot at all after installing the boot loader to the external USB hard drive. Not sure where to go from here.

I also tried install the x32 onto a USB harddrive with putting the boot sector on the same USB and it also doesn't boot at all.

Pakal
2015-08-14, 10:07
So i see alot of people having issues with the new 2.0 honestly im having a few myself....i think its UEFI based pcs to be honest if others can confirm there troubles from using a UEFI system id feel better lol....I just bought a HP spectre 360, for some reason i can only get the i368 dvd to work on an older system which is making me think it has something to do with UEFI, i have duel boot ubuntu and windows running now, wish it was kali and windows but for some reason whether its dvd or usb same deal is going on, it could have something to do with my graphics but i dont even get a splash screen upon boot so i cant nomodeset the boot itself until i get to the splash screen which should be loaded off the DVD i can boot from dvd no problem but it boots to nothing blackness and hangs, no splash screen, if anyone has this going on and has solved no splash even showing up that would be awesome! like i said ubuntu worked fine for me just had to disable secure boot as usual for the newer platforms but kali is fighting me and my HP is totally disagreeing with anything i tell it to do when i put the kali disc in......i did everything the same way i did with ubuntu, i have a usb drive with kali too i tried using win32 and universel usb and unetbootin, my bios just opens the usb instead of booting from it, the program should take the iso and make an img to boot from and run from but when i select it to boot it just opens up and lets me choose files is there one i should add seperatly to start the boot, even from DVD i hang up before the splash screen shows up and my pcs fan starts kickin and stays that way.....any ideas?

sheol
2015-08-14, 11:35
Hey all,

So I got it to install finally. Love the product. Ill share what I did, cause it was a combination off things. Ill explain first. My problem was it always wanted to boot from a cd rom, which is actually broken on the pc I am using to run it. Anyway I had an external laying around but for some reason the ****** thing wouldn't boot from it * I ain't to sure why *. Anyway So Here are the steps I took;

1. Made a bootable USB
2. Also burnt a copy of the ISO files onto a cd * same as it would on a USB *
3. Boot into USB and follow the prompts until you get to the cd rom part
4. Attach external drive, "yes" when it asks you if you would like to try and find a cd rom drive again
5. Finish the install.

I don't know why it didn't boot from the CD drive in the first place, but however this was an alternative solution. Good luck. *Still never figured out why it couldn't just finish the install from the USB even though it booted from it originally*

Good luck.

voigtstr
2015-08-22, 06:05
Hi (first post)
I'm getting a similar thing. During step 14, I told it to install GRUB into the the same disk that I was installing Kali to. There are 3 other disks on the system, an SSD runing OSX (using chimera as its boot loader (from tonymacx86)), Windows 10 on another SSD, and a Windows formatted 1TB drive.

After reboot chimera isn't showing the drive with Kali. If I choose to boot from the drive Kali was installed to, I just get a flashing _ cursor. No logo, and nothing I've typed on the keyboard is echoed or causes a change. Caps lock and num lock and scroll lock can be toggled so the system hasn't hung as such.

Any advice anyone?

under Kali the drive was seen as sda in one section and disk0 in an other section of the install.

under osx I get message referring to the HDD kali is on saying "The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" (I used ext4 (I wonder now if there is file system that OSX can still read)) in OSX the Kali drive is seen as disk3 (disk3s1 for linux)(disk3s5 for linux swap). Clicking initialize in OSX just loads up the graphical Disk Utility, which can see disk3s1 and Linux Swap but there are no operations that can be done on these disks.

ValkyrieX
2015-08-29, 10:33
I've failed to install kali 2.0. “Installation failed”...There are two corrupted files in "kali amd64.iso"--"\dists\sana\main\binary-amd64\Packages.gz" and "\dists\sana\main\binary-amd64\Packages". Any solution?

tsohGlatigid
2015-10-01, 16:53
I tried both the AMD and 386 versions on a USB for my Acer Chromebook C720. Even though I had read some folks saying that the AMD-named version doesn't really require an AMD processor, I found that it didn't work with my Chromebook which doesn't surprise me that much. I was able to install the 386 version without issue, but it's only 32 bit. What are my best options to get the best ISO for my processor (Intel Celeron)?

Kalix64
2015-10-07, 07:29
Hello sirs,

Is possible to install kali on VW workstation? Thanks.

ChunniePark
2015-10-13, 15:12
It's too heavy, 4GB, I think i'm have the same trouble with install om PC.

Joshua2
2015-10-16, 15:52
I feel like this is a dumb question, but asking is how to learn. I set up the USB properly, but during the install process when it is finding the disks and asks which you want to partition it only finds my USB drive and tries to partition itself and write to itself. I was assuming it's supposed to partition my hard drive on my pc and write to it, but take the information FROM the USB. I supposed it could be dividing it up on the USB before it installs to the hard drive, but honestly I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to know what is actually going on during the install. I aborted because I didn't want to mess something up. If somebody could help me out, I would appreciate it. Thanks a bunch and forgive my ignorance, I am learning. Also, I am wanting to install it FULLY on my pc, not dual boot. I want to get rid of the windows 7 and start over from scratch with a fresh Kali Linux OS. I know it's better to use a VM or dual boot for beginners which is why I also have it on a virtual machine on another laptop which I have been learning to use Kali on, but i would like to keep windows on there for my wife to use.

UPDATE: the laptop had an admin password on the bios so I disconnected the cmos battery and reset it, but still won't detect my hard drive. This was my dad's laptop and he passed away a year ago but my mom gave it to me to see if I could use it. It is more powerful than my current. It is an HP 1 terabyte hard drive, 8gigs of ram, and an I7 processor. I'm wanting to let my wife use my old laptop and turn this one into a linux machine, but I can't get past the install. Thanks to anybody that is able to help me. Do I need to do a format on my drive before installing? could it be that microsoft has something that protects windows from being erased or overwritten which causes it not to be detected? Im at a loss of ideas. Thanks guys.

UPDATE #2: I reformatted my HDD with Gparted and Kali detected it, I did a guided partition (because I'm new to this) which it installed fine, but my space is very low. My /home partition has 900+gigs of space, but my root only has 10gigs with only several hundred MB's of space. I was thinking that I would make a user (asside from the root user) and it would utilize the /home partition. Even while logged in as the new user when I use sudo command and apt-get install "packagenamehere" it still installs on the root portions with not enough space to work with. So i'm making progress, but just running into newbie issues now.

pyscho joe
2015-10-24, 14:30
Hello, I am new to this forum

Can you guys please help me out.

I booted kali linux 2.0 to usb with UNIVERSAL USB INSTALLER.

it booted successfully, and the usb is booted in the bios,
during the installation,

1. GUI install.
2. selecting preferred language
3. specifying geographic location
after the step 3, it goes to DETECTING HARDWARE, AND THAN GIVES ME AN ERROR, ''DETECT AND MOUNT CD-ROM'', i do have cd installed, and its functional,

''YOUR INSTALLATION CD-ROM COULDN'T BE MOUNTED, THIS PROBABLY MEANS THAT THE CD-ROM WASN'T IN THE DRIVE. IF SO YOU CAN INSERT IT AND TRY AGAIN.

RETRY MOUNTING CD-ROM.

how do i fix that?
im installing from USB.

zadok0552
2015-10-26, 15:04
Joshua2: I'm new at this, as well. I wouldn't fool with messing around with your current installation. I would head to gparted and make the entire hard drive free space. Then, install Kali. During the installation, when presented with a choice whether you want entire disk used (recommended for new users), choose that option. It is also possible that your hard drive was not partitioned correctly, to begin with. I would just start over and make sure that all you have is "free space" when you are finished using gparted. Again, I'm a noob too, so YMMV.

zadok0552
2015-10-26, 15:17
As a noob, myself, I saw that a lot over the past couple of weeks. Somewhere I saw the suggestion to use one of the "mini" Kali distributions. That worked very well. You and I are probably doing something wrong when installing with the full distro. The only downside, is that I had to use an Ethernet hard-wired connection, because you must have an Internet connection in order to use one of the "mini" distros (either 32-bit or 64 bit depending on your hardware). When you are finished installing, then run the following in terminal.

apt-get clean
apt-get update
apt-get install kali-linux-full

It will take awhile to get the full Kali tool set downloaded and installed, even with a fast Internet connection. I'm sure I was failing to following some procedure when I tried - repeatedly - to install the full distro. However, I spent more time screwing around with that than just using the mini distro to begin with. Again, I am a noob, so YMMV.

karencho
2015-10-26, 16:53
hello to everybody, i have installed windows 7 on c disk and now i want to instal Kali linux on D disk is that possible?

oops
2015-10-27, 16:15
I'm having trouble installing kali to a MacBook Pro. It's dinky but not more than a few years old. I'm going the route of creating a bootable USB drive and installing from that. Here's what I've done so far:

1. I followed the instructions here: http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kali-linux-live-usb-install
That created a drive that would boot on my other laptop, but not the dinky one for some reason. When it booted, it displayed the boot screen that would allow me to install it to the hard drive.

2. I then downloaded this: https://sevenbits.github.io/Mac-Linux-USB-Loader/
I wiped the drive and reinstalled using the mac boot loader. That worked, but it presented me with a different boot screen. I can boot kali now, but there was no install option.

I'm guessing the tool created a different boot loader and that's the problem? Backtrack used to have an install option once you booted into it, but I can't find it in this version of Kali (2.0).

How do I install Kali to the hard drive after I've booted to it?

sufyanshahid
2015-11-08, 08:29
Hello,
My name is Sufyan Shahid.I installed kali linux 2.0 in my 30 gb hard drive using the live usb.I installed it successfully into the hard drive but the problem come when i reached to the sign in screen.When i put my username "root" and password "q1q1q1" it gives me the error "A problem has occured and system can't recover.All extensions has been disabled as a precaution". I used the correct username and password...please help me.
Thanks in advace
Any help would be appreciated :):)

monketrip
2015-11-19, 12:03
Hi, I too have a problem and i can't seems to get around of it. I downloaded the Image and Installed it in my HD, gave a account name and root pw but when the gui comes up and ask for a the login credentials its not recognizing it
Any help is appreciated
Thankx

Andrew Stallard
2015-12-13, 14:59
First, I am getting a strange error upon installation to my Dell 32-bit system that already has windows 7.

Upon trying to install, I get the message at the conclusion of several screens of error messages:
*** Error in Xorg:free() invalid pointer: 0xb7101ce3 ***

In addition, the installation screen I get upon running looks absolutely nothing like the one in the instructions in the article.

Could this be a problem with my monitor settings?

Has anybody else had this issue or something similar?

Laneo2007
2015-12-22, 04:50
I am having this same problem also installing on a Dell inspiron Mini .. I tested first using the Live usb and everything worked great so i decidded to install.
i use the full disk and durring "install the system" i get error " Installation step failed adn installation setp failed. You can try to run the failing item again from
the menu, or skip it and choose somthinhg else. The failing set is : install the system." I have tried this 5 times using the gnome ISO and mini. No luck.
I would hate to always have to use the usb in live mode all the time. :(

Hey Todd, I'm getting the same error, but I'm using a full 320gb HDD, did you find a fix that might be able to help me out?
Thanks.

adambomb1258
2015-12-28, 00:01
Iv finished everything but when i had restarted the computer and opened Kali Linux in the grub boot i was introduced with a login screen with username (i can put anything into this and still pass) then a page for a password but i cant pass this screen. I have gone through the repair tool thingy (sorry) and i entered my password and it allowed me clearance and i had changed the password and it worked but i still cant pass this screen, i have also tried root and toor. Someone please help, all help is greatly appreciated.

cfk
2016-01-17, 20:47
Hello.
I'm experiencing some problems with installation.
First of all the problem is with downloaded images.
I'v downloaded x64 images full, lite and mini.

Only the mini one have booted normaly with GUI after installation on HDD, but others have failed to start GUI.

mackubex
2016-02-22, 17:24
I have a peculiar problem, I have Kali 2016.1 on my Live Usb and i can boot it via my Dell windows 10 Laptop legacy mode.
I now decided to install kali on an external USB Hd (sata) -
I chose auto partition - and installed grub on the external HD (I hv done this earlier when I used backtrack 5)
but when I go into Custom boot on the Laptop (legacy mode) -- It doesnt detect the Kali Install on the USB HD.
UEFI mode doesnt work either

I tried to make a separate partition for /Boot

but no result,

any work around ???

Gh0sT.sh
2016-02-26, 03:13
please reffer the below link
i dont know what happend my post came twice so i am editing the first post

Gh0sT.sh
2016-02-26, 03:15
MTCONE , TOD
try this guys
http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-hard-disk-install

mackubex
2016-02-26, 18:44
MTCONE , TOD
try this guys
http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-hard-disk-install

Hi,
The documentation is for loading GRUB on the computers main hard drive

What I'm trying to do is load GRUB to the external hdd where Kali is installed.

After selecting grub to be installed on the ext HDD

When I try to boot into Kali (legacy mode , secure boot disabled)

I get a msg saying no OPERATING SYTEM found!

I'm guessing some error due to the BIOS unable to use the GRUB installed on the hard drive

This error I found only on new laptops which bybdefault boot using UEFI

older laptops don't have this issue --

How do I make the install UEFI compliant ?

jh060990
2016-02-27, 18:34
Hey guys weird issue here. I have verified my ISO hash to the website and they match. I used the Win32 installer to mount the ISO on a 16GB USB. When I go to boot from it, the system completely bypasses the USB and boots from the HDD. Legacy USB is enabled, and the USB was selected as the first to boot in the boot menu. Any thoughts?

Dhiraj
2016-03-02, 18:24
Awesome Works Perfect !

lucleduke
2016-03-11, 02:07
I installed Kali onto a Acer Aspire. It required a 32 bit version. Everything ran fine until it asked to login into the host. My system then starts to act unexpectedly. I can begin to type the first letter of my password then my mouse icon bounces around from the center of the screen to the upper left corner over and over again. At this point the keyboard no longer works and neither does the trackpad. Does this sound like a hardware issue or software in everybody else's experience? Any tips?

c0mod00
2016-03-13, 08:40
Same problem as mackubex

rod_kryp
2016-03-19, 18:50
Installing Kali Linux on your computer is an easy process. First you’ll need compatible computer hardware. Kali is supported on i386, amd64, and ARM (both armel and armhf) platforms. The hardware requirements are minimal as listed below, though better hardware will naturally provide better performance. [...]

Yesterday I was installing Kali Linux on HP1000 with Win10, but for some reason it couldn't be installed so I abandoned the installation process (I'm an idiot I know).

Everytime I turn on my laptop it says "No bootable device --- Insert boot disk", is there any way to go back to Win10 and save my files?

Duane
2016-03-23, 06:06
Windows use EFI systems, Windows can only install on GPT disk, while Linux can only install on MBR partition table . you can not install both OS on the same disk. If you want install Kali-linux
You have to convert GPT PARTITION to MBR PARTITION. It should have two phisycal disks on your device , call disk0 and disk1 . Disk0 should be installed windows . Disk1 is GPT also, so the partition MUST to be format and delete first and then you can convert to MBR (right click on disk1 menu button ) and go ahead install Kali-linux on that disk.But the problem is you can not boot into windows neither kali-linux . so recovery windows is the last choice ...continuing on my blog, how to re-install Windows here:
https://devwifi.wordpress.com/2015/10/30/easy-reinstall-windows-7-8-1-and-10/

herogod3
2016-04-23, 14:15
Hi I was instelling Kalli linux on me laptop whet a bootable usb.
when I did graphical instal I got a error.

this is the error =

Detect network hardware

Some of your hardware needs non-free firmware files to operate. The firmware can be loaded from removable media, such as a usb stick are: rt2860.bin

if you have such media avaible now, insert it, and continue
Load missing firmware from removable media?

NO
YES

what should I do pleas help

Common
2016-04-24, 12:07
Im trying to install with an USB but cant. Downloaded normal iso 64 bits, have pc with 64-bits processor, I low formatted my USB, then used win 32 disk imager i booted and the screen goes all blank doing nothing and not reading USB. Used universal installer but it just reboots the pc. I checked iso's SHA1 and all good.

Im installing with 2 other operational systems. And have UEFi. Boot is not secured for that. Any ideas?

herogod3
2016-04-24, 17:23
Help pleas [ATTACH=CONFIG]1457

I have this error when i wand install kali on me pc i used a bootable usb. Help pleas need it bequez i dont have anymore interface on me pc so cant work on it

BlueMatrix
2016-05-04, 02:15
Hi! Can someone help me, whenever I install kali linux... either install or graphical install, I always stucked at the installing the system, it only reaches until 4%, please help anyone, I am using ASUSX102BA 64 bit, AMD A4, windows 8.1

deanMKD1
2016-05-04, 09:44
Hi! Can someone help me, whenever I install kali linux... either install or graphical install, I always stucked at the installing the system, it only reaches until 4%, please help anyone, I am using ASUSX102BA 64 bit, AMD A4, windows 8.1

Make full format on USB and make a new bootable USB with Win32Disk Imager.

Common
2016-05-08, 04:09
Btw, i solved my problem above using the linux os installer. the win32disk imager didnt work on my pc neither many windows usb installer tools. But kali linux could be a lot simpler to install as dual boot.

maxx
2016-05-09, 18:55
Common - what is the " linux os installer", is it a software? I am on Windows 10 and tried using the Win32DiskImager and other tools but the live boot always gets stuck on boot or install screen.

JaneFox
2016-05-13, 10:12
For the first time I had some problems with installing, some ERRORs, but now it's ok!)

Rumple
2016-05-19, 16:24
Hi all - total noob here.

I'm guessing this would delete Windows, right? All this stuff about partitioning makes it seem like Windows would still be on the system.

If I were dual booting, would there be a way to default to one OS if you're only looking to access the other on occasion?

Cancer Of The Kolin
2016-06-07, 04:59
so i have a very very nice desktop and ive run kali 1.07 on it for a while. it was on its own 4tb hard drive and few issues however now i can not get thru the booting of kali sana....Issues include cd rom drive not found disk drives not found network finder not found grub failure even when i gave it a empty 5gb partion idk *** is going on. Same system i have it on b4. also it says pci.ids not found if i go to hard ware detection instead of install at first boot
Hardware includes:
Pioneer CD DVD Bluray Read/Write
Rampage black edition IV
56gb ram ddr3
4tb unallocated HDD by western digital
no new hardware since i installed 1.07 so idk whats changed...
ive tried several differnent isos/torrents and usbs, installing and formated on to by different computers, win10 and kali. and formating those usbs using ruphus, windiskimage poweriso and dd from my kalibook(mac which single boots to kali 2.0) also i believe i fixxed bios but havent check cuz i havent adjusted since 1.07 idk whats going on here plz help.

andyturner87
2016-06-28, 13:25
Hi, i tried to install to dual boot, following documentation on support page to use gparted and shrink a partition. Install went through fine, but not grub, went straight to windows.
I i tried a few things, and nothing worked for me.
So i used gparted to delete all partitions on drive and start again, this time doing guided partition install on entire disc with lvm.
same problem. i just get backlit black scree, no post, no grub. i can press shift and it will say grub is loading but then goes to same black screen! i see no instructions anywhere for this because i am only trying single boot, when i search for these issues i always get dual boot fixes. i tried a few but the commands suggest fail at various points.
please help!

bullet150
2016-07-13, 17:10
i am having issues installing on my pc i have been working on this for 2 days now and no luck. everytime it gets to about 80% in the installation and says that it failed and i can try again from the menu but i cant get to the menue without restarting. i dont know whats going wrong

speed7
2016-07-30, 05:07

I have kali 2.0 installed as a live CD on a bootable USB drive ,after live booting , am Unable to find System-> install Kali in Kali 2.0 in the menu.
How to install Kali , after booting into live mode

sampat1992
2016-08-25, 11:39
Dear Sir ,I having kali installation problem .I didnt find solution for that that is why I am posting here.
Log files are here.
1.hardware-summary @ http://docdro.id/GiRDYWl
2.partman @ http://docdro.id/Oz07Xyr
3.syslog @ http://docdro.id/yR14968
4.Xorg.0.log @ http://docdro.id/2wib8Ox

SmallD
2016-09-06, 05:10

The article describes a graphical installation UI, mine is not.
I have successfully created a Kali Linux 2016.2 (full) USB stick (Kali Linux Live), which, as the boot device, works great. I want to install to my laptop HD (currently FreeDOS) the distro but the installation cannot find the correct CD drivers or recognize the CD. What can be done to get past this problem?

Destro718
2016-09-27, 08:15
I too can boot into Kali Live via USB but the option to install to HDD via GUI does not load and System >> Install Kali is not available.
I am on a Macbook Pro Early 2011, created USB with Mac Linux USB Loader, and using the most recent Kali build.
Will someone please help?

sertral
2016-10-01, 10:18
I´m tyring to install Kali to HD (pc amd64 cpu) from USB. The USB work fine and I can use the Live version. No errors in the installation process but when I reboot after installation it fails. I read and followed Kali docs. guid, generated three booteble USB (using mac and the dd command) and always get the same fault (see boot image). Any suggestion?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118668/IMG_1248.JPG

chrono13
2016-11-06, 16:53
I´m tyring to install Kali to HD (pc amd64 cpu) from USB. The USB work fine and I can use the Live version. No errors in the installation process but when I reboot after installation it fails. I read and followed Kali docs. guid, generated three booteble USB (using mac and the dd command) and always get the same fault (see boot image). Any suggestion?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/118668/IMG_1248.JPG

I am seeing the same exact errors with Kali 2016.2, x64 Lenovo Thinkpad, 4gb RAM, 160gb SSD.

Anyone else? Anyone find a fix yet?

michaelwarne
2016-11-11, 09:14
HI All,

First of all, make a bootable DVD or USB to install kali Linux.

Now boot your system with bootable USB and after loading live boot. Click on install Kali then Goes several steps. When disk choose option appears then choose a custom selection. After that select your any drive and format it via ext4 file System and assign as "/" root point. and install kali Linux.

Make sure you have backup your data. many peoples format their window during Linux Installation

For step by step guide, you can follow below link: http://docs.kali.org/installation/kali-linux-hard-disk-install

gmaslin
2016-12-08, 02:15
Which of the two lines below is the right line for a live build?

apt-get install curl git live-build cdebootstrap
or
apt-get install git live-build cdebootstrap

Min0rMirrow
2016-12-13, 04:31
Hello,
I downloaded the 64 bit Kali 2.2016 version and burned the image to a dvd.

The start of the installation via the graphical installation runs without problems.

As a goal I would like to use my external hitachi 300gb hard drive. This is from a macbook in a kingston case via usb.

The installation runs without problems on a compaq presario cq57. As soon as the installation is finished and the cd is removed, but I will not get a boot menu.

Whether I install the entire hard disk without LVM or with LVM or encryption.

The bootloader I have to install on the external USB hard drive during the installation. Not directly to the internal Windows 7 version. Is there maybe the error? Does not the boot loader to the Windows version have to Kali?

I get a black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing happens.

The previous system, I have the same installed but this did not work properly after apt-get upgrade and synaptic.

There broke the boot process off and said I should try again later.

So I wanted to repeat the installation on the external hard drive.

I formatted the external HDD via windows with an exFAT partition.

Where is the error and how can I fix this?

I hope you can help me.

Thank you very much.

november27
2016-12-20, 09:43
i have exactly the same error as Min0rMirrow (above post ).
After successful installation i reboot and i end up with a black screen with a blinking cursor and nothing happens.
i tried many versions of Kali but still can't boot after installation.
Strangely, i can live boot the OS without problem.
I saw a lot people here having the same issue - do we have any hope ? - meaning is it possible some PCs/laptops to be unable to work with Kali 2.0 ?

iojymbo
2016-12-21, 16:29
Most of the time, "black screen with a blinking cursor" means graphical card issue. You don't have this with Live USB / CD because it uses a generic driver and doesn't try to fit your hardware configuration.

kalinfirst
2017-01-07, 13:32
Hi.

I am trying to install 2016.2 64 bit version on HP 6730b (intel core 2 duo CPU) 4 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space on C. The first screen appears well, then when I choose "Graphical install", the same screen but without Boot menu appears and it stays like this for ages.

Should I wait because my PC is old and weak or I have to choose another option to install it?

november27
2017-02-19, 15:16
Its been a while since the last time i tried to install Kali 2.0 and still no hope..(still stack to black screen after successful installation on HDD ). I wanted to dual boot (with win10 - had disabled the fast boot- it doesn't have UEFI - bought this laptop during 2009 ).
I also tried older versions of Kali,weekly Kali distros,MINT,openSUSE-Leap and Ubuntu ( here i gave up the dual boot idea... i just want Linux on my laptop).
In every case(distro) after successful installation i get black screen ( with blinking cursor at top left..).
The "funny" part , win10 and win7 (which i tried) have no problem during installation/boot (even with dual boot everything works fine).
My fear is that i may need to upgrade my BIOS.
" Important" Info From my BIOS:
SATA MODE SELECTION are [AHCI] or [IDE] (Legacy USB support &Legacy Boot i have left both enabled).
I haven't see anywhere/anyone pointing out the graphical drivers as the reason of the "black screen with a blinking cursor" error - so thanks for the idea(hope google helps- by the way my graphic card is nViDIA G 105M and the BIOS build date 03/05/09).
Sorry for dragging a bit this post.. i just want to verify for sure whats the problem since even if i find it i will need some days of googling (yeap i suck) to make it work...
Also if anyone has manage to install Kali 2.0 with [AHCI] or [IDE] ?

Ps. I also tried :to install manually grub with live boot in every "hope it works" location (/dev/sda, /dev/sda1 ,...,) .No hope obviously.

UPDATE:
I will assume you want 1 OS on your PC. I am not pro on this field so i can only give u some silly ideas- hope something helps.
1.You may have done something wrong when u were creating the USB. try your USB on another PC ( even if u press install it need some steps to install- don't fear it ).
2.Check your BIOS . Having UEFI enable and Secure Boot Disable are some common "solutions" i saw, during my google search.

Wish i could write you another 2-3 "ideas" but i also suck/still trying to install Kali....
Hope u have better luck/skills.

bwana
2017-03-03, 07:45
I succesfully boot into Kali 2016.2 on a macbook pro from a usb stick made with mac linux loader (see here (https://www.sevenbits.io/mlul/))

It does not use grub but rather a boot loader named 'enterprise boot loader'. Going into advanced options allows selection of the kali installer. When this starts, it looks for a CD ROM. What is that??

No, really, I know what that is but why would a usb stick be looking for a cd rom? Is the installation process a function of this boot loader? Is there an executable somewhere on the Kali live distro that can do the installation to a partition on my hard disk?

Bsullivan1983
2017-03-03, 21:08
I've literally spent over 50 hours trying to get Kali and Windows 10 Pro to dual boot on my 2016 X1 Carbon Gen 4. I'm pretty sure I'm having a Grub issue like a lot of people do. I have secure boot disabled, quick boot disabled, UEFI support only with CSM disabled and the computrace permanently disabled. I used Win32 Disk Imager to write. I've verified the SHA1 hash. It's strange that each time I try an install I have to repair the USB drive with diskpart. Not sure why that's always the case when writing an image with Win32 Disk Imager. I've experienced different errors with different installation attempts, all from the same *.iso and USB drive. I've tried using other USB drives. Up until recently I've been able to select the Grub install during setup, but lately that option has disappeared and the install automatically installs Grub to wherever without giving me a prompt to do it myself like it has in the past. No idea why that is happening. Even persists after reformatting the USB drive and rewriting Kali. I tried Rufus and the install won't even load upon reboot. I'm just burned out trying this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, does it matter that the Kali install recognizes my USB drive as /dev/sda as opposed to the hdd? I ran into an issue yesterday where out of the blue the EFI partition would no longer allow me to use it as an EFI partition. No idea why. Completely random. Haven't changed a thing. The option from the "use as" menu for the EFI partition doesn't even list the option to use as EFI anymore. It just randomly disappeared. But even before that, when it was fine, I couldn't boot to Grub. Booting straight into Windows, no option in Boot menu to select Kali to boot. Some guides/videos say you need to convert your drive to MBR, others don't even bother and they appear to reboot into Kali just fine.

nishigrandhi
2017-03-05, 10:19
hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me

_defalt
2017-03-06, 13:34
hey guys i am trying to install kali linux and make my laptop dual booted with windows10, but i keep on getting this error while installation saying that missing firmware files : : rtl_nic/rtl8168e-3.fw rt3290.bin. i have checked even the sha1 of the iso file i downloaded and it is correct. Please help me

That's not an error. That is a missing driver of your ethernet. Installer is simply asking you to provide this driver from USB otherwise you will have to copy thisdriver in /lib/firmware after the installation.

Lucas Ribeiro
2017-03-14, 23:31
In my case, the installation simply claims that "no kernel module was found"! The tutorial demonstrates an installation identical to my experiences with Debian, it indicates that there is something wrong with my procedure. Could someone help me???

brunolzo
2017-03-20, 17:53
Hello,
I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
Thanks

louiepi
2018-01-28, 16:47
I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.

martimarti
2018-01-30, 07:35
Hello,
I followed the installation process from the kali linux docs but I've run into a problem: when I try to do the partition of the hard drive an error appears saying: "Partition(s) 2 on dev/sda have been written, but we have been unable to inform the kernel of the change, probably because it/they are in use. As a result, the old partition(s) will remain in use. You should reboot before making any further changes".
There are to options: ignore or cancel

What should I do?
Thanks

I am trying to install kali linux. I downloaded the iso file and used win32 disk imager to write it to a usb stick. I put it in the computer and followed the graphical install steps. However at the end it says to reboot to load the system. When I do it goes onto a screen which says /dev/sda1 clean 337450/9715712 files, 2930973/38843136 blocks. It then will not do anything more. I have tried this with two hard drives. What is wrong.

Hello,

I have been installing Kali multiple times, on multiple laptops of mine, with different hard drives. I have used one and the same method each time and it always worked for me.
- downloaded desired version of Kali
- insert empty DVD in the laptop
- open Roxio Creator 2012 Pro and burn disc image (for additional information if needed please ask)
- after Roxio finishes and DVD is done I open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition
- I create a partition with the desired space I need (in my case I always do 100GB because I like to play around and try stuff, plus it never hurts to have more)
- after creating it, I leave it blank and empty. no additional partitioning
- turn off laptop
- turn laptop back on >> insert DVD >> choose to boot from CD/DVD >> follow instructions for installation
- Kali finds the free space (the partition I have created earlier) and I choose that same partition
- Kali asks if I want to partition the free space or to leave it up to Kali to do so >> always was choosing Kali to do it and it worked every time
- then I just wait for installation and everything works

Encountered issues:

ISSUE: When rebooting and trying to start from the CD/DVD it doesn't work and just starts the operating system.
SOLUTION: Make sure when you are burning the ISO to the CD/DVD that the speed is the slowest.

ISSUE: During Kali installation, having different types of partition issues.
SOLUTION 1: Went back to Windows >> open Mini Tool Partition Wizard Server Edition >> wipe the created partition >> restart process >> success
SOLUTION 2: Solution 1 doesn't work >> start windows >> open Mini Tool Partition >> delete partition >> restart laptop >> open Mini Tool Partition >> create partition with desired GB >> restart process from beginning >> success

ISSUE: After Kali install none OS is starting
SOLUTION: Hiren's Boot CD or UBCD(Ultimate Boot CD)

Hope I managed to help.

hammondo
2018-03-01, 04:24
Myself I got to the install part - copying of the files - and it fails around 60% of the way through the file copy process. I used Roxy Easy Media Creator 9 at the lowest speed (8x) and Kali 2018.1 64 bit ISO. I have a brand new HP TPN-Q130 laptop that I purchased for the EXPRESS purpose of installing Kali on it. I booted to Live Kali, used gparted to delete the 4 Windows partitions, then rebooted and started the install. As I have been trying, unsuccessfully so (grub loader install doesn't work and I get mount point errors when attempting to install grub manually) to dual boot with Windows 8.1 on an ASUS laptop, for over a week now, I am very frustrated and equally appreciative of any assistance that is forthcoming.

hammondo
2018-03-01, 17:05
Brought the HP laptop to work this morning. Used an external DVD and the same disk as last night. Install ran fine. Only hiccup was post-install when it couldn't see the WIFI network it connected to during the install. I just powered it down waited a few minutes and powered it back on, it now sees that WIFI network so all is good at present!

arnabcare
2018-03-20, 16:37
im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros?
I am having the same problem. I managed to get Kali installed, but now I am unable to login, it keeps saying "authentication failure" and yes, I have checked my password and username is also correct.

login as root, delete the user you created, then create it again. That's what I did and it worked.

arnabcare
2018-03-20, 16:43
Hi.

I am trying to install 2016.2 64 bit version on HP 6730b (intel core 2 duo CPU) 4 GB RAM, plenty of HDD space on C. The first screen appears well, then when I choose "Graphical install", the same screen but without Boot menu appears and it stays like this for ages.

Should I wait because my PC is old and weak or I have to choose another option to install it?

To be honest, it is best to do the normal install without GUI. Try that. If it doesn't work, then wait. But if GUI doesn't work, always revert to CLI.

arnabcare
2018-03-20, 16:45
Try using UBCD or similar. This should fix your error. If it doesn't, tell me.

rootuser2001
2018-03-21, 00:43
Are you using the root user? try to log in as "root" as user name and "toor" as password.

harisan
2018-04-27, 10:00
Bootable usb work with options nomodeset. After install on hard drive only work with this options but freeze when wogin. Laptop is asus x540s sonicmaster and with Ubuntu not problem. Some advice guys? work fine

siwani
2018-08-07, 06:21
I am facing with error when installing Kali in hard drive with error msg - UNABLE TO RUN C:\WINDOWS\SYSNATIVE\BCDEDIT.EXE
How to resolve the issue.

Carlos SAnt
2019-01-28, 17:30
I try to install kali linux so that in the middle of the installation of this error "one step of installation failed" I downloaded several iso both 86 and 64 will not my settings are these

Rufus todas as vers?es
Universal Instaler USB
Yumi
Disk Maneger
Live USB install
Linux Live USB Creator
ja usei at? o Ultra Iso

ISOS ja tentei
Kali Linux 2017.3
kali-linux-2018-4-amd64-iso
kali-linux-2018-4-i386-iso
kali Linux Xfce

Intel pentium T4500
dual-core cpu T4500 @2.30GHz

Manufacturer
Semptoshiba IS 1414

BIos
Phoenix Technologies LTD
Version MTVNCRB01.86C.X.0000000000

Memomoria
DDR3 2GB
DRAM Frequency 332.5 MHz

spartanking
2019-02-26, 07:38
I was also facing the same problem but I used win32 disk imager to create the bootable drive and it worked, you can try that

_defalt
2019-08-03, 13:09
Use rufus. Set Partition scheme to GPT and select DD mode to burn ISO.

Bluice25
2019-11-30, 18:36
I have created a bootable usb twice now from two different iso's and both have failed, No CD rom detected. could not get passed that, so I decided to whip open my actual kali computer and do a dist upgrade, getting 403's and 404s
though maybe its my firewall, and have tried off a different network, same issue. the new repos i added to the sources are not getting though.
any ideas?

Hi , are you just trying to do a live kali or trying to install it on another hard drive? I had that issue, but I am trying to install it on an external drive so I had to have the drive hooked up and then the usb with the iso on it. When it looked for the cdrom it found the usb with the iso.

Hope that helps some.

sonicdahedgehog
2019-12-05, 14:30
I used rufus and successfully downloaded kali 19.4, I'm new to linux and have ubuntu running on my hard drive and want to completely install Kali and remove Ubuntu. When I go to install kali I get this issue that firmware files are missing and do I want to add them later. I can use the live version but can't install it to the hard drive. Help anyone?

sonicdahedgehog
2019-12-07, 07:00

yes, I have a bootable usb and it works fine to run a live version. But when trying to install, I run into a screen saying firmware files missing will i load them now or not. I choose no and then it goes all the way to the configure the network screen but nothing happens past this point it just stays on this screen. I'm trying to put kali on an Acer Aspire E15 laptop with 6GB. I'm not sure what to do to continue.

croberto
2019-12-30, 03:47
Downloaded 2019.3 to usb and tried it live for about 6 weeks. Loved it. My laptop had no hdd so I bought an ssd. I tried every install to get the same DE as 2019.3. I assume it's gnome. The gnome gets me the gray screen with mouse. All other installs work fine. I tried to upgrade to gnome in each of them and it re-boots to gray screen mouse. Any ideas?

Gateway NV52L06u
4GB DDR3
AMD64

Joash Jeshurun
2019-12-31, 09:50
I'm currently having an issue where the disk partioning in Kali Linux 2019 version. I don't see my harddisk partions but only "finish and write to partition", ISCI .....
My machine is Xsixty-four based processor. I tried the 32-bit i386 kali image, but it worked fine during booting but during hard disk partitioning i don't see my partitions.

boyjaat209
2020-01-22, 08:01
hello everyone,

i was getting inissue when i install linux to hard disk there was a message (GTK Warning unable to open display :0 also higher " Check Xorg.log)
anyone help will be appreciated kamukta (https://www.lustysexstories.xyz/)

boyjaat209
2020-02-04, 16:40
hello guys,

Select your preferred language and then your country location. ...
Specify your geographic location.
The installer will copy the image to your hard disk, probe your network interfaces, and then prompt you to enter a hostname for your system.
regard

rosoubgir
2021-01-14, 15:24
I had a problem installing it. Thank you very much.

mubarakbt
2021-03-29, 09:30
I get this error when i try to format the disk:
I get this error when i try to install the base system:
4611 46134614
Although i can run kali live and other linux distros I can't run kali installer.
I tried to plugin the usb but that didn't work any ideas?

Injected420
2021-10-18, 02:21
I have had a long journey with Kali...so many installs.

Kali on a virtual machine
Kali-In-The-Browser (with websites)
Kali Live USB Boot with Persistence
Kali Linux

As most beginners do, I started out with Kali on VMWare (still have it). It is ok, honestly any other distro would be fine, but Kali needs access to the core components of your PC for some of the programs to function properly. So I decided to try a Live-Boot with a 128Gb Flash Drive and Persistence for saving. That was much better than the VM, it allowed Kali access to the components it needed, while not changing my current Disk. Then I said screw it and just installed it on my laptop and boy do I wish I did that from the beginning!!!
I am not sure if it has anything to do with the newer Kali builds, but as far as 'instructions for installing to hard drive', you really shouldn't need any...but just in case, this is what I did.

Create a Bootable USB with the Kali Installer Image (MBR not GPT)
Disable Secure Boot in BIOS (switch to USB boot first if you want)
Plug in USB, restart PC, if you did not change the boot you power on your machine tap F(9, in my case most HPs are) look up the Function key that lets you choose the boot order
Boot from USB
Installer Screen comes up, follow instructions there.
OPTIONAL: Before creating a boot image with the installer you can make a live one to get to 'gparted' for any partitioning or formatting you want to do before install.have

If you have a spare laptop lying around I highly suggest installing Kali this way (as opposed to VM). The speeds are incredible, the functionality is great and extremely customizable.

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y

That line is burned into my memory...

nbaever3
2021-11-09, 07:08
To get started download a Kali Linux ISO and burn the ISO to DVD or Image Kali Linux Live to USB . Insert your external drive that you are going to install Kali on to (such as my 1TB USB3 drive) into a machine, along with the installation media you just created

nukapop92
2021-12-21, 09:34
To get started download a Kali Linux ISO and burn the ISO to DVD or Image Kali Linux Live to USB . Insert your external drive that you are going to install Kali on to (such as my 1TB USB3 drive) into a machine, along with the installation media you just created.

pikkiuz
2022-01-13, 15:58
Hi, I followed instructions on the referred guide.
Premises: I was able to install core system, but not to install desktop environment (I skipped that step). So I should be sti
Also, I mistakenly said opted out of installing boot loader on removable media even though it was suggested during that step. Suggestion was due to some possibile issue with the disk. I can't remember what the issue was, but had to do with EFI and said that disk may be buggy and fail something. So it suggested writing to removable media too.

Now, when I turn on the computer I can select "Debian GNU/Linux" or "Advanced options GNU/Linux". Selecting the first, I get two lines saying
dev/sda1 recovering journal
dev/sda1 clear [...]

After that, I get black screen and nothing else happens.

pikkiuz
2022-01-14, 09:52
I have just solved the problem I wrote a post about. There was actually no problem, just my monitor doesn't show the entire screen and therefore I can't see command line.

CarolineLloyd
2022-01-26, 07:21
Informative post.

cactus69
2022-04-14, 08:08
I have old installation in an external drive. My new laptop has SSD+HDD combo where windows 10 is on ssd. I am planning to move an old installtion of kali from external drive to internal hdd and install the grub on /dev/sdb where sdb is internal HDD. Will this work? and what would be the booting sequence as windows on ssd and linux on hdd?

chasefan3709
2022-04-17, 06:40

i keep getting error message saying my installation medium isn't Debian Ive re done it many times i really hate having to download things over and over again and would love to keep this permanent on my HDD

Kalibrahma
2022-05-14, 17:20
I have SSD 256GB drive with 4 GPT partitions of 64 GB each. C drive has Win10. Want to install Kali Linux on D:Drive. Downloaded Kali Linux 2022.1 (bare metal) version, created bootable 16GB pen drive using Rufus (again with GPT, NTFS). But when I boot from the USB drive, I get "GRUB" prompt instead of any GUI. I am new to any Linux / Unix and want the installation using GUI. Even I do not know what to do at GRUB. Please help me with the process to get GUI instead of GRUB prompt.

Teesigs
2022-06-06, 11:57
after installing amd 64 in my hp pavilion using a live dvd, total failure trying to log in . kali wont grant me access.. im prompted with" authentication failure" any tips from the pros? everything goes smooth up until I have to log in **fix** reinstall and use kali as host ,root as user, toor as password. after install you can change the host name .. there's a tutorial on youtube with terminal commands as well ..
I'm having the same issue except I used a bootable USB and now the USB is now unusable

K4M3R
2022-06-13, 19:44
Hi guys, i install kali linux bare metal. but no desktop after installing kali linux bare metal. İ have just cod client. İ cant find the network adapter during installation, so i dont have connection. (sry for my bad english)

Fred Sheehan
2022-07-28, 18:48
QUOTE=Kalibrahma;123327]I have SSD 256GB drive with 4 GPT partitions of 64 GB each. C drive has Win10. Want to install Kali Linux on Dhttps://forums.kali.org/images/smilies/biggrin.pngrive. Downloaded Kali Linux 2022.1 (bare metal) version, created bootable 16GB pen drive using Rufus (again with GPT, NTFS). But when I boot from the USB drive, I get "GRUB" prompt instead of any GUI. I am new to any Linux / Unix and want the installation using GUI. Even I do not know what to do at GRUB. Please help me with the process to get GUI instead of GRUB prompt.[/QUOTE]

GPT is unnecessary for a USB stick use MBR

and DON'T use NTFS use FAT32

and then use Balena Etcher to burn the image to the USB stick

https://www.balena.io/etcher/

Fred Sheehan
2022-07-28, 18:51
You only need to download an ISO image once and it can then stay on your hard drive..

see post #145 above for what to do with the ISO image

Deep164
2022-08-16, 12:10
Hello,

I am trying to install Kali in my laptop (only kali not dual boot), after software installation when it comes to install grub bootloader, my screen started to flicker with black screen and cursor hovering on the middle of the screen.
I made my pendrive bootable again using balenaEtcher, but still I am facing the same error.
Please help me here pls.

Fred Sheehan
2022-08-16, 23:13
In BIOS you need to disable secure boot and allow 'legacy boot' sometimes called CSM on some systems.

If you previously had another OS on there, like Windows, then you will usually need to fully delete and reformat the hard drive to get rid of any residual files and partitions. You can do this from the Kali set up before installing.
If you choose the guided set up it will help you write the partitions needed.

FRENCOLTD
2022-08-25, 06:39
1. Downloading Kali Linux

2. Extracting Kali Linux
Extract the downloaded file using WinRAR or any other archiving tool.
3. Installing Kali Linux
Open the extracted folder and run the setup program.
4. Configuring Kali Linux
After installation, open the terminal and type ?startx? to start the graphical interface.
5. Logging In to Kali Linux
Type ?su? followed by your username and password to login as root user.
6. Changing Password
Change the default password of root user using passwd command.
7. Adding Repositories
Add the following repositories to the /etc/apt/sources.list file.

SohanPerves
2022-12-25, 07:26
[QUOTE=Mrquiety;28650]Hello Everyone Here What i have made for all of you How to install Kali Linux (http://geekyshow.blogspot.in/2013/08/how-to-install-kali-linux-on-your-hard.html)[/
Thanks to you, i also want to install.

systemcrush
2023-01-15, 10:25
I tried all above on my laptop but still I can't install it.
I tried what written here (http://moonkinghackersclub.com/how-to-install-kali-linux-in-) but didn't help. can someone please tell me is Intel okay with Kali?

Fred Sheehan
2023-03-04, 14:41
If Kali will be the only OS, then completely wipe and format the drive FAT32 before running the installer, and Kali will find and partition drive itself.
If drive is NTFS formatted already, its gonna fail install mostly.

same is true for any partitions you create for Kali, Linux has no native support for NTFS formatted drives..

Yes, Kali like any Linux distro will run on Intel

If you have an Intel Optane set up, you will need extra firmware usually, but as you've just said it doesn't work without context can't help further..