PDA

View Full Version : No sound output on RPi3B+...

themusicman
2018-04-29, 16:50
Hi All

So, I have read many threads on this issue, which seems to be a common one on kali linux. While I appreciate kali is not an audio processing OS... I cannot get any sound out from the RPi3B+ despite doing everything suggested in an old thread on here from 2013.

I have created a config.txt file and added the relevant line at the end. I have used systemctl to enable and start pulseaudio etc. I have watched several other videos but just can't get any sound to be heard. I am using an external set of speakers connected to the 3.5mm jack connector on my Pi. I have a RPi3B and a RPi3B+ and have checked audio is working on both machines by booting up to raspbian and playing sound through Youtube etc. Both work fine with raspbian.

I have seen a few videos where a sound icon is present and visible in the 'All Settings - Hardware' pane of system settings, but I don't see any such icon. I have also ensured I have installed alsa-utils (as suggsted in the older thread I alluded to earlier)

Can anyone offer any advice please as to what I should do next to get sound working.

Many thanks folks.
John

re4son
2018-05-09, 11:51
Hi themusicman,

a) Add “dtparam=audio=on” to /boot/config.txt
b) Install alsa-utils
apt install alsa-utils
c) run alsamixer, press F6 and pick the number of your bcm2835 soundcard.
In my case it’s “0” – you specify the card number in the command below with "-c”.
d) For 3.5 output, type (assuming your card is “0”):

amixer -c 0 cset numid=3 1
For HDMI output, type (assuming your card is “0”):

amixer -c 0 cset numid=3 2
Optional:
e) Install volumeicon
apt install volumeicon-alsa
volumeicon &
g) right mouseclick on the speaker icon and set your preference, at least replace

xterm -e 'alsamixer' with

xfce4-terminal -e 'alsamixer'
I’d also change “left mouse button action” to “Show Slider”

https://re4son.com/topic/sticky-fingers-kali-pi-2/#post-13158

Hope that helps,
Re4son