PDA

View Full Version : Grub not showing in secure boot with windows 10

frodomo
2018-05-04, 23:05
Hi everyone!

So the Grub is not showing when I have the secure boot enabled.
I have disabled secure boot to install Kali 2018.2 but when I reboot in secure boot, I go straight to Windows 10.
However, I do have UEFI - Kali showing in the bios boot menu (but when I select it, I have a black screen and am redirected to the boot menu), I do have the Grub showing when I go in legacy mode.
I disabled the fast boot in my BIOS and tried reinstalling the Grub using a live Ubuntu but without any success.

A I missing something?

Thanks!

_defalt
2018-05-06, 08:33
That's the property of secure boot. It only boots those boot loaders which are cryptographically signed by the private key of vendor. Grub bootloader is not signed by the Microsoft so secure boot will refuse to boot it and go straight to Windows.

To boot kali disable secure boot but keep UEFI enabled. Do not use Legacy BIOS.

Once offensive security starts signing the kernel, you will be able to boot kali using shim-grub which is signed by Microsoft. Currently there is no support for Secure Boot for Debian and kali.

frodomo
2018-05-06, 10:55
Thanks for the info!
I guess I will have to switch back and forth between UEFI and Secure boot as my Windows partition is encrypted with Bitlocker

_defalt
2018-05-06, 12:32
Thanks for the info!
I guess I will have to switch back and forth between UEFI and Secure boot as my Windows partition is encrypted with Bitlocker
What happens when you boot windows when secure boot is off?

frodomo
2018-05-06, 23:32
I get prompted for the Bitlocker partition recovery key