PDA

View Full Version : Kali Linux Live USB working - Persistence keeps failing

benno401
2018-05-10, 11:22
Hi All,

I recently posted a thread "Persistence not working on Kali Linux Live USB - MacOS High Sierra".

I received some good feed back and followed one set of instructions regarding loading Kali iso onto a usb then making it persistence.

Once again, i manage to boot into Kali but despite following the many tutorials to the T, persistence doesn't seem to want to work. Each an every time i reboot, the test folder i make disappears and the persistence partition reappears

I think it may be down to the reboot process but I could be wrong.

Firstly i'm given the option to choose either Macintosh HD or EFI, i select EFI. Next i'm given options that no one else seems to be getting. I thought I should be getting the standard blue Kali Linux Boot Menu where you can choose the Kali Live persistence option, but I get the following!

I hope the images have attached. I have tried setting up Kali and persistence in all the different ways suggested on here and the tutorials but these menus don't seem to come into play on any of the tutorials. Can anyone please give me a pointer in which way to go. I've tried selecting option 2 then 5 for persistence, but no joy there either.

This is what I do to make persistence
open gparted
select correct drive
select persistence partition
unmount partition
format to ext3
label persistence

boot into live persistence usb

open terminal
do
e2label /dev/sdb3 persistence
mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb
echo “/ union” > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf
umount /dev/sdb3

I'm at a total loss now.

Thanks in advance and have a great day guys

ps. apologies if i shouldn't have made this a new thread.

Kali-for-good
2018-05-11, 10:30
1. Burn the image.....then
2. Use Gparted to make a new partition with label persistence ,file system ext4 ,primary.....then reboot......
3.select the live usb persistence option from the boot menu.......
4.them type - mkdir -p /mnt/my_usb
5. Mount it by - mount /dev/sdb3 /mnt/my_usb
6. Type - echo "/ union" > /mnt/my_usb/persistence.conf

Now type in -- umount /dev/sdb3 && reboot

next time you boot.... Boot in "live usb persistence (amd64) "

I hope this helps

benno401
2018-05-13, 19:26
Hi Kali-for-good, my issue at the moment if you look at the images I attached to my post is that I don’t seem to have the regular Kali boot menu where I have the option to choose “Live usb persistence (amd64)”

Many thanks