PDA

View Full Version : Asus ROG strix kali boot graphics problem

astreia
2018-05-23, 19:03
Hi everyone. I think I should start from the beggining. A few days ago I got Asus ROG Strix GL503VD laptop. It had PCIe SSD and HDD. I replaced HDD with SSD SATA as I wanted dual boot windows 10 with kali. (Kali as main). So laptop had 2 SSDs: preinstalled windows on first one and clean second SSD. I tried to install debian 9 and had a problem and I will talk about it later. After 2 times fail I decided to install kali. But this time I cleaned both my SSDs.
@BTW
@Both disks now are MBR I am not sure if this matters.
And before installing the linux I did a research and found the right setting for BIOS
Secure Boot - OFF
Legacy Support - ON
For SATA - AHCI
CSM Support - ON
//Fast Boot - OFF (Even from windows control panel)
So I had the same problem with kali. It installs without any error. I tried both manual and automatic install, both with mirrors and without, both with firmware scan and without. In every possible way like 8 times already. I really thought that could help.
Kali installs I go to GRUB after run it gives the problem. (I'll talk about the problem a little later)
I installed windows on the second (SATA) windows. I am still running it.
Tried to boot linux even when I plugged of the SATA SSD. As a single system.
PROBLEM:
After grub I get this "ERROR1"(I'll attach) and get a complete black screen. (like it is off) But my fans are running and even keyboard LED is on.
So I decided to plug HDMI to my monitor. I could see only kali login screen background image(gray one. Not sure if was solid gray). I opened tty tried to log in but in gave "ERROR2" (CPU STUCK) and froze. Read a lot and talked to other people. Tried
nomodeset3041
nvidia.modeset=0
nv.modeset=0
nouveau.modeset=0
a few times added splash @not sure what it does
But the problem stays the same. Screen stays black(~OFF) after boot.
If anybody could help me I will be very grateful. I spent 3 days on this even didn't sleep one night. I really want to get kali in this Laptop. I am a new linux user. By the way I don't need my windows if it needs to be formated to get kali working I can reinstall it any time.
Thank you so much for your time and reading my first post ever.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CdvgReQOAxUzIRFerGDBj8y6qa5s_3nP/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12qZUbrAugV9hoTxY8C4maeQYIy62GszO/view?usp=sharing
I hope you could see the images if not I will try to upload when I resize it. I am just at college now.
OR I will just copy..
===ERROR1====
dev/sda1: recovering journal
dev/sda2: Superblock last mount time is in the future.
(by less than a day, probably due to the hardware clock being incorrectly set
/dev/sda1: clean #/# files. #/# blocks
# platform regulatory.o firmware: failed to load regulatory.db(-2)
# firmware_class: see wiki.debian.org missing firmware
ERROR2 =====On monitor screen with HDMI in tty menu =========

NMI watchdog: Watchdog detected hard LOCKUP on cpu 6
numbers wathdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#4 stuck for 22s kworker/4:1:70]

when123
2018-05-24, 13:36
Nvidia Graphic cant be usable .

it is use intel Graphic inside i7 .

It can't be use Nvidia . remove Nvidia drivers purge , and you may can boot kali .

hope this can help you

astreia
2018-05-25, 05:18
Should I do what you said about Nvidia drivers or continue trying to solve my touchpad problem?

gman003
2018-06-01, 05:24
I have the same laptop and this article was able to solve the graphics/boot problem for me:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln306327/manual-nomodeset-kernal-boot-line-option-for-linux-booting?lang=en

astreia
2018-07-11, 18:39
I could boot only after disable internal pointing device from my bios. (touchpad) Now I it is not working neither in bios, nor windows or linux. I have to go with a mouse.
But my kali has a lot of problems, such as brightness control. Every time I try to install drivers something will broke. I reinstalled it 3 times already. But kinda learn new things with every time. It is hard to be new in linux^^ Thank you all Guys!