PDA

View Full Version : Cannot dual boot encrypted volume after recent Windows 10 update

wut
2018-06-13, 22:32
Was working fine until the latest update.

I tried the steps in this post (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?36601-UEFI-How-to-repair-kali-linux-grub-dual-boot-with-Windows-10) and rebooted, got the password prompt back and entered the password, then I got the light blue Kali grub screen, but the only menu option is

*System settings

and no OS boot options. When I select System settings, I get an error message that `fwsetup` command is not found and it sends me back to the main menu with the one *System settings option.

I'm almost positive this has to do with the fact that it's an encrypted partition. Using Kali live, I successfully mounted the encrypted volume and can access the files, which is great, but I don't know how to boot into the drive anymore from grub.

Also, I looked into all locations on sda2 (my UEFI partition) and cannot find a kali uefi, and have tried booting with all uefi's I find to no avail.

Please help, thanks! :confused:

wut
2018-06-15, 14:25
There is an option to press C for a command line, so I did that and got grub command line. I try command `ls` and I see all my partitions including my lvm:

grub> ls
(hd0) (hd0,gpt8) (hd0,gpt7) (hd0,gpt6) (hd0,gpt5) (hd0,gpt4) (hd0,gpt3) (hd0,gpt2) (hd0,gpt1) (crypto0) (proc) (lvm/myencrypted-swap) (lvm/myencrypted-root)
grub>

My kali partition is gpt8, but when trying the following I get error:

grub> set root=(hd0,gpt8)
grub> set prefix=(hd0,gpt8)/boot/grub
grub> insmod normal
grub> normal
grub>

nothing happens.

so I tried the following:

grub> set root=(lvm/myencrypted-root)
grub> set prefix=(lvm/myencrypted-root)/boot/grub
grub> insmod normal
grub> normal

I get sent back to the menu and now there are two options for `System setup` LOL

And of course both options tell me `fwsetup` is missing. What the heck is fwsetup? I looked into it and it seems to be a Windows boot. Well I don't care about that, I just want to boot my encrypted Kali!