PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Kali Live USB

frodomo
2018-07-11, 06:22
Hi everyone!

So a couple days ago I decided to run a dist-uprade on my Kali Live USB with encrypted persistence.

Amongst those upgrades, there was a kernel upgrade. Unfortunately, when I rebooted, when Kali tried to open the persistence partition, I ended up with a Kernel Panic.
After digging a bit, it turns out that the upgrade completely nuked my USB drive. I have around 70% of bad sectors, and it is impossible for me to format it (tried with GParted and windows) or do anything. It's dead.

So I was wondering, is doing a dist-upgrade on a Kali live a bad idea or did I just have bad luck?

Thanks!

grid
2018-07-11, 12:39
I think you just had bad luck; possibly a dead/dying USB drive. I recently made a persistent Kali USB drive, so I haven't had to upgrade it yet.

frodomo
2018-07-13, 00:14
Thanks for your reply. The USB drive was almost brand new that's why I was thinking it would be more about the upgrade. I'll just stick to a virtual machine for now

bigbiz
2018-07-13, 05:13
Hi everyone!

So a couple days ago I decided to run a dist-uprade on my Kali Live USB with encrypted persistence.

Amongst those upgrades, there was a kernel upgrade. Unfortunately, when I rebooted, when Kali tried to open the persistence partition, I ended up with a Kernel Panic.
After digging a bit, it turns out that the upgrade completely nuked my USB drive. I have around 70% of bad sectors, and it is impossible for me to format it (tried with GParted and windows) or do anything. It's dead.

So I was wondering, is doing a dist-upgrade on a Kali live a bad idea or did I just have bad luck?

Thanks!

You tried to reformat it with diskpart in windows?

frodomo
2018-07-13, 07:21
Yes. Windows just eject the drive after a while, saying that it has a defect