PDA

View Full Version : apt-get problems

BlueDog
2018-07-28, 15:13
I am running kali 2018-2 on lenovo T420. When I try to update and upgrade I get apt-get is locked.
I think I tracked down the problem. It looks like kali 2018 as a auto update and download now. kali is getting just like windows, I don't like it.
So what I would like to know is their a way to disable the auto update and upgrade, So i can do it when I want to have it done.
thank you all
renny:mad:

Mister_X
2018-07-28, 20:10
It's from Debian and Ubuntu has had it for a long time. Search how to disable aptd.

BlueDog
2018-07-29, 14:52
Thank you mister_X Seeing I don't know what I an doing here, this is what I found

tan@ubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl stop apt-daily.timer
tan@ubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl disable apt-daily.timer
tan@ubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl disable apt-daily.service
tan@ubuntu:~$ sudo systemctl daemon-reload

Is this what you was talking about.
Thank you
Renny

bANONYMOUS
2018-07-31, 20:56
Well, you can try a few things, from the read out you're running as a user so you could try typing in

sudo su

which will give you the # prompt meaning you're set to root, then you don't need to type in sudo before every command and it makes everything a lot faster.

Next I would suggest just trying to type in apt and not apt-get as in apt update

You can also try to clean apt with

apt clean

and then from there try

apt update
apt upgrade -y
apt dist-upgrade -y
apt autoremove

and see how that goes

BlueDog
2018-08-01, 14:57
apt update
apt upgrade -y
apt dist-upgrade -y
apt autoremove that does nothing, what was was asking was will the command that i Found will disable the auto download.

t
The commands are
systemctl stop apt-daily.timer
systemctl disable apt-daily.timer
systemctl disable apt-daily.service
systemctl daemon-reload

Will the above commands disable the auto download?

bANONYMOUS
2018-08-01, 15:38
It should but I would think stopping systemctl would disable your GUI so you would have to boot and at the login screen before logging in, hit F2 or something, maybe F4? it should boot into terminal, from there you can login, and then type out those commands as follows

# sudo su
# cd /bin/bash
# systemctl stop apt-daily.timer
# systemctl disable apt-daily.timer
# systemctl mask apt-daily.service
# systemctl daemon-reload
# reboot

Once you boot back up, you should be golden

BlueDog
2018-08-04, 16:17
Thank you very much
renny