PDA

View Full Version : Nvidia Driver issue after logging in

confused_lemon
2018-08-26, 04:49
After I log into kali my screen freezes on a gray screen with static in the upper left corner. The problem seems to be driver related to my graphics card(Nvidia 960M) after I've updated to 2018.2 and kernel 4.17. I'm using the 64-bit kali. There isn't any error message, but it locks up after I enter the password during log in. I'm able to enter recovery mode and tried purging nvidia, and when I try to reinstall it it tell me "nvidia-updates-current is an invalid installation candidate"

Mister_X
2018-08-27, 17:27
I bet you have an Optimus laptop and this hybrid system doesn't always work well. I suggest to stick with the intel card for now and boot with nouveau.modeset=0

azamet
2018-10-05, 19:51
After I log into kali my screen freezes on a gray screen with static in the upper left corner. The problem seems to be driver related to my graphics card(Nvidia 960M) after I've updated to 2018.2 and kernel 4.17. I'm using the 64-bit kali. There isn't any error message, but it locks up after I enter the password during log in. I'm able to enter recovery mode and tried purging nvidia, and when I try to reinstall it it tell me "nvidia-updates-current is an invalid installation candidate"

i was having same problem but it was fixed after doing that:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub
Change line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi=off"
Ctrl-X, press Y and then Enter to save and exit.
sudo update-grub
Reboot and you should no longer have the black screen problem.

edit: better way
--------------------------
* apt-dist upgrade
* on /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.blacklist.conf add blacklist nouveau
REBOOT
* apt-get install libcuda-ml1libnvidia-ml1 --no-install-recommends -y
* DONT REBOOT
*edit /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf and comment out where it says: "remove-nvidia-current rmmmood nvidia nvidia-uvm" if that file not exist just ignore it
apt-get install nvidia-kernel-amd4 nvidia-kernel-common nvidia-kernel-dkms
REBOOT

now u can remove the text on grub acpi=off and reboot=pci