PDA

View Full Version : KDE Panel looses all icons and apps after kali upgrade

OzTornado
2018-08-26, 10:10
Hello I ran
sudo apt upgrade there was a linux kernel upgrade after it installed I ran
apt autoclean and
apt autoremove When I later restarted my laptop the panel showed but only the main menu icon on the left, the clock on the right and the settings were present all other icons and widgets had disappeared. I restarted the laptop using the last kernel but it still did not solve the problem. I know there is a simple command I can use to restore my panel.

bigbiz
2018-08-27, 01:17
Hello I ran
sudo apt upgrade there was a linux kernel upgrade after it installed I ran
apt autoclean and
apt autoremove When I later restarted my laptop the panel showed but only the main menu icon on the left, the clock on the right and the settings were present all other icons and widgets had disappeared. I restarted the laptop using the last kernel but it still did not solve the problem. I know there is a simple command I can use to restore my panel.

I dont know what it is about a simple apt-get upgrade. I did one years ago got a messed up screen, stayed that way even after reboits.
apt-get distro-upgrade
Works everytime.

OzTornado
2018-08-27, 04:37
I tried that with no success, it seems to be a plasma glitch the icons will not populate the kicker panel. I remember having a similar problem some years ago but it was a simple fix like a restart or dist-upgade this time it is not playing ball.

punish3r
2018-08-28, 13:53
same happend to me last knight. except i did the dist-upgrade. it also crashed some programs of like konqueror and search utility etc. so i end up doing a fresh install

eldhawke
2018-08-29, 15:56
same issue here

I have wiped my .cache
I have wiped my .config
I have rebuilt the plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc
I have wiped kactivitymanagerd/resources/database
I have wiped my kdeglobals
I have wiped /var/tmp/kdecache
I have run the command kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
I have done a apt- install --reinstall desktop-base kali-defaults kde-plasma-desktop kde-standard plasma-workspace plasma-desktop
I have done a apt purge kde-plasma-desktop kde-standard plasma-workspace plasma-desktop and redone the apt install kde-plasma-desktop kde-standard plasma-workspace plasma-desktop
I even tried gdb which yielded no results anyway (except a few qt errors which I fixed anyway)
I have tried to create a new user after all of this too...

and yet I still have these issues:
bottom panel might not even load (unless I do killall plasmashell and then plasmashell)
systray is ALWAYS missing
"add to panel" does nothing
can't right click on panels or desktop anymore
krunner doesn't pick up applications properly (and I have rebuilt baloo plenty times to test)

I am now testing with muon and held the updates for anything to do with plasma upgrading from 5.47 to 5.49

side note to other users: use timeshift to backup your current state just in case

ardasevinc
2018-08-29, 17:57
The exact thing happened to me today. It was frustrating. I am doing a fresh install now. If anybody knows the cause of error please tell. I won't do any update now.

eldhawke
2018-08-30, 11:13
used timeshift to restore a fresh install and updated with holding the plasma and kde packages search in muon to 5.47 which did not work meaning this issue is most likely NOT related to these packages:

qml-module-org-kde-bluezqt
breeze-icon-theme
libkf5bluezqt6
libkf5modemmanagerqt6 (and library)
libkf5bluezqt-data
qml-module-org-kde-holidays
libkf5holidays5
kimageformat-plugins

other notes:
synaptic gui does not work in gnome after this recent upgrade, only muon works in gnome so far (but syanptic did work with a fresh install because I was trying to setup virtualbox but it needed the upgrade to fix the dkms issue)
recent update (yesterday) with qt5 packages included do not fix the plasma issues so far

EDIT: synaptic had an issue with wayland, it works in a normal gnome session (looks like it might be a xauth issue, it was however working before the update in wayland)

thewinner666
2018-08-30, 14:17
same think for me. I honestly think that this is a bug and should be reported to both Kali Linux and KDE

deryst
2018-09-02, 20:11
There is some bug... same issue, also i cant use right mouse button , i hope resolve next update

eldhawke
2018-09-02, 21:10
There is some bug... same issue, also i cant use right mouse button , i hope resolve next update

I have just done an update right now and the broken elements are fixed.

Ne'eman
2018-09-03, 16:13
I have had the same issue with other desktop versions in the *Debian* field, and the is several ways to "Restore" the Default Desktop or Panel, this article seems to fix the issue with Kali's X11 Desktop Environment:
https://journalxtra.com/linux/desktop-recovery/the-definitive-guide-to-getting-your-linux-desktop-back/