PDA

View Full Version : Kali Linux on USB drive with Windows 10 and UEFI booting

Crafter
2018-09-18, 17:03
Hey there,

I've been trying everything I found on the net for hours but can't get my Kali Linux Live USB flashdrive (using the KDE image) to work on Windows 10 with UEFI booting, even though I disabled secure booting. I always get this error when I try to boot Kali Live from USB.

error: file '/live/vmlinuz-4.17.0-kali3-amd64' not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first

Things I've tried so far:

Using the weekly Kali Linux image instead of the standard one.
Following the steps in this thread (https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?271-How-to-EFI-install-Kali-Linux), including making my own grub.cfg, excluding downloading the mentioned file because a) the link is broken and b) there already is a file of this name in the newest iso (which obviously was not the case when the thread I used has been started).
I tried to use Universal USB Installer. When it opens 7zip to extract the files, it always crashes while copying /live/filesystem.squashfs because at some point it says this file can not be found.
I tried to use YUMI with the same result.
I tried to use Win32DiskImager which stops at 8 percent, saying the system is unable to find the file (I translated this message from the German version which I am using).
I tried to use Rufus, which crashes early during copying the files in the exact same moment where Windows tries shows the error "There is a problem with this drive"
I thought perhaps the automount feature of Windows is causing all the trouble, which is why I disabled it, which did not change the behaviour of Rufus or Win32DiskImager.
Because of this I extracted the iso, deleted the autorun file, made a new iso and tried to use this. Again, I get the same error nevertheless.
I tried Unetbootin, which is able to extract and copy the iso without any interruption, but results in the error I mentioned above (error: file '/live/vmlinuz-4.17.0-kali3-amd64' not found.)
I tried a different USB drive with the same results.+
I tried different programs and Windows itself to format the USB drive with fat32 before installing the image, but that didn't help neither.

I guess I forgot about some steps I tried in the past hours, but nothing seems to work. Does anybody know a solution I might have missed on my search? Before I forget: Switching to legacy booting is not an option.

Thanks for any advice, kind regards,
Crafter