PDA

View Full Version : Gparted can't detect other partitions

johhnry
2018-11-18, 22:31
Hi guys,

I want to install Kali Linux next to a Windows 10 on a DELL xps 13 (dual boot).
So I made a live usb, then I am following this tutorial : https://docs.kali.org/installation/dual-boot-kali-with-windows

So I can boot on my live usb and start live kali, until now, everything works fine.
This is the output of gparted :

So I can only see the partition of my usb key.

Previously, I resized my Windows C: partition, giving about 17 Go for Kali Linux.

and I started the normal installation but when it needs to identify partitions, windows one wasn't here.

Before that, I was thinking that it was BitLocker encryption that was preventing kali linux to recognize my partitions and I disabled it and it's still the same.

Thanks in advance

NoobLinuxuser
2018-11-19, 01:30
You have to select the correct device using the tab top right (currently set to your USB device which is mounted as dev/SDA in the picture) on Gparted. It can only handle one device at a time (but will show all partitions on that device). It is defaulting to the device that Linux booted from, the USB stick.

The program called "Disks", an app, is a bit less fiddly, in that you can see all the devices available without clicking through a list of them. Although again it will only select one device at a time and limits adjustment of partitions to the selected device.

EDIT: Changed "drive" to "device" for clarity. Click the device selector top right. you should see your main windows hard drive available as well as the USB stick. :)

johhnry
2018-11-19, 21:10
You have to select the correct device using the tab top right (currently set to your USB device which is mounted as dev/SDA in the picture) on Gparted. It can only handle one device at a time (but will show all partitions on that device). It is defaulting to the device that Linux booted from, the USB stick.

The program called "Disks", an app, is a bit less fiddly, in that you can see all the devices available without clicking through a list of them. Although again it will only select one device at a time and limits adjustment of partitions to the selected device.

EDIT: Changed "drive" to "device" for clarity. Click the device selector top right. you should see your main windows hard drive available as well as the USB stick. :)

Thanks for your answer.
I checked and there was only one device (my usb key).

Well I found the answer to my problem :

I found that on dell xps 13 I had to change the ssd hard disk from AHCI to RAID (which I don't understand) but it worked.
Then I resized my partition on Kali live with Gparted so I could shrink it to have 20Gb for kali.
The installation process succeeded.

Have a great day