PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at boot

mrgreedy
2018-11-20, 18:33
Im having an issue with Kali.
When i get to the boot i can get into live mode without issues
But when i try to select Graphical install i just get a black window and nothing more happens.

Tried this https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?21641-How-to-EFI-install-Kali-Linux-(Beginner-Ways)

It gets me to the install but i get stuck at loading the install files, it says it cant find it.
Tried remounting and so on.

I tried making the USB with rufus in iso mode and DD mode, when in dd mode i cant get to the install.
If i could edit the img file like in the guide above it might be fixed but if i try to edit it, doesnt work anymore so.

Could anyone help me with a solution?

Also my ultrabook doesnt have a legacy boot mode so it has to be UEFI.
Lenovo Yoga 920

Mister_X
2018-11-21, 19:10
Solution: use the non-graphical install.

My guess is that the GPU is too recent and not well supported yet.

mrgreedy
2018-11-22, 09:06
well i can boot live mode without issues.
Also if you read what i wrote above, i can get into the graphical install if i follow the guide i linked, but i get stuck at the part when it wants to take the files from the CD.
I guess i have to make the USB as DD and not iso but if i do that i cant boot the install, i get the black window
I need to somehow make a DD image with the modifications from this guide
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?21641-How-to-EFI-install-Kali-Linux-(Beginner-Ways)

NoobLinuxuser
2018-11-22, 19:14
Can't say I have detected any difference between a graphical and non-graphical install in terms of usage - both have got me to a desktop environment.

I could be wrong, but I think the non-graphical install is there for folks whose computers graphic cards / onboard graphics cards are very recent and aren't supported by a default driver?

... In which case, it doesn't make a difference as far as usability goes. All the roads end up in the same place.

Mister_X
2018-11-22, 21:11
Have you verified the checksum?

There is no modification needed from the guide to dd the ISO.

mrgreedy
2018-12-07, 22:48
Can't say I have detected any difference between a graphical and non-graphical install in terms of usage - both have got me to a desktop environment.

I could be wrong, but I think the non-graphical install is there for folks whose computers graphic cards / onboard graphics cards are very recent and aren't supported by a default driver?

... In which case, it doesn't make a difference as far as usability goes. All the roads end up in the same place.'
Well the live version works, i can get it to boot up in live mode.
But once i go to install it does not work.

Yea checked checksum, remade it several times.
Im stuck at boot screen when i use the "dd mode"