PDA

View Full Version : How can i replace Backtrack 5 R3 on my dual boot with Win 7?

pamamolf
2013-03-13, 21:24
Hello

I am using dual boot Win 7 and Backtrack 5 r3 ...

How can i replace the Backtrack 5 R3 installation with Kali without formating windows or messing with the boot loader?

I want to use the same exact partition size as the old Backtrack installation.

Thank you

kaju666
2013-03-13, 22:57
Hello

I am using dual boot Win 7 and Backtrack 5 r3 ...

How can i replace the Backtrack 5 R3 installation with Kali without formating windows or messing with the boot loader?

I want to use the same exact partition size as the old Backtrack installation.

Thank you

simply use graphic install and when u get to the partitions format backtrack partition as ext4 and mount to / and go past to the end, grub will be automaticaly replaced witk new one

barry99705
2013-03-13, 22:59
You should be able to do the advanced partitioning part and just replace the backtrack partitions with the respective kali partitions. I'd make a clone of the drive first though...

Mr-Protocol
2013-03-13, 23:49
I would suggest using a bootable partition tool (parted magic) to delete the related paritions and create a large free space. Then you should be able to install to just the free space on your hard disk.

akudadang
2013-03-14, 00:00
just run the installer and when you asked for the partitions for kali,used the backtrack partitions. dont touch the windows partitions.

and follow the proccess,then your backtrack is replaced by kali.

ariestiyansyah
2013-03-14, 00:02
Hey, according to me. to replace your backtrack r3 with new Kali,

1. Download Kali Linux ISO
2. Boot the Kali, start the instalation of Kali.
3. Choose the old backtrack partition and replace this partition.

You will not missing your windows instalation. and bootloader is updated.

Note : please read carefully documentation : HERE (http://docs.kali.org/installation/dual-boot-kali-with-windows) abput how to dualboot Kali with Windows

CMIIW

charonsecurity
2013-03-14, 03:50
Thank you for the easy instructions. :)

dark-soul
2013-03-14, 04:20
just what i was searching for

maverik35
2013-03-14, 04:25
I strongly recommend to format BT5 partition if you want to use kali instead and then install Kali..Use ext4 file system.

If you want and can, resize bt5 partition and leave a new space enough to install kali, then create a new partition and format it with ext4 file system, you can have both if you wish, use the same swap.

Install it manually if you can.

Luck.

e46Dave
2013-03-16, 00:27
Hey pamamolf

What I did was booted up the DVD select GUI installer. Once you get to the screen that ask about partition select manual and then from there you can highlight the BT5 partition and delete it then format as root (/) ext 4 then install Kali onto this formated partition. System will ask to add grub boot loaded to select Kali or Windows. Tell it yes and reboot once done.