PDA

View Full Version : alfa AWUS036H Hard blocked on hp8460p notebook

jessicarabbit
2018-12-24, 02:36
This problem is absolutely infuriating.

Laptop HP Elitebook 8460p

i have a built in wireless card, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205, it works absolutely fine but as soon as I plug in my alfa into the USB port everything goes south pretty quick.
Airplane mode will activate, the Alfa card will work for a while using airodump then :::read failed: Network is down ::ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX) failed: No such device

Shell hangs, unplugging and plugging back in I will get airodump for a minute again then ::ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) failed: Operation not possible due to RF-kill

rfkill list produces

phy8: Wireless LAN
soft blocked: no
Hard Blocked: yes

rfkill unblock all
rfkill unblock wifi

Still says it is hard blocked

I thought maybe it was the wifi switch interfering, I was going to cover pin 21 of my internal wireless card to override this then I thought it would be easier to just remove the internal wireless card to check if it was the internal card .. Same problem with the internal card removed.

Hard Blocked
I have flicked the hard switch in every combination with the wireless button and always end up with the same issue, the alfa will work for a short time then crash out.

I will be throwing this laptop through the window very shortly.

Somebody has mentioned being able to bypass this is with a USB powered hub but this close to xmas i cant see myself getting one and I am convinced there must be another solution.

If anyone can help me with this I would be eternally grateful, also please bear in mind I am a noob, so please bear with me, putting everything into simple terms :):)
Thanks so much in advance, you all do a fantastic job contributing here as I can see and these forums would obviously be nothing without your support!!

All the best, Jess

Mister_X
2018-12-24, 15:54
When you list rfkill, show EVERYTHING, not just part of it. Another thing, check dmesg after the issue happen to see if there is anything useful in it (as a tip, clear it before starting airodump-ng, dmesg -c)