PDA

View Full Version : No Sound

Azonix
2013-05-05, 14:17
I know that sound may not be needed for most uses of Kali, but i i still want it. I had sound without issue on BackTrack 5 R2, it was handy to hear any tut's on Youtube, or replay them in VLC after downloading them.
I have tried everything i can think of, Kali see's both the onboard AC97 sound and the SoundBlaster 5 PCI card i have installed, and it see's my Wireless Logitech Headset aswell, but im damned if i can get it working.
I have tried the /usr/bin/pulseaudiodaemon trick in startup app's that worked in BT5, but still, no sound.....
Anyone have any idea's ?

shaberu
2013-05-05, 17:50
Have you tried to un mute it? when i boot kali it is muted by default.

Timmsy
2013-05-05, 20:43

If you want the sound umuted

apt-get install alsa
amixer sset Master unmute

Azonix
2013-05-06, 10:31

Yes of course, the obvious things have all been tried, but still no sound.

charonsecurity
2013-05-06, 13:47
Have you tried setting the default sound device? The system may be getting confused by multiple sound devices (AC97 vs Soundblaster), Maybe at the least we can trouble shoot, try physically removing your PCI soundcard. See if it can at least work with the AC97.

Azonix
2013-05-07, 01:47
Thanks to everyone, problem solved.....

It was the simplest thing. The switch on the wireless headset is wired backwards, on is actually off and vice versa.
Having not used this headset in 6 months, and not knowing it was switched ON all the time, when trying to get sound,
i was trying with a flat battery, and with the headset OFF.......
Simple charge and set the switch on the headset to OFF and all is fine now.

****** Logitech mistake and it was sending me insane........

bdg
2013-05-09, 21:49
Hi, i know your problem is solved but need help from you guys, i am running kali's vmware image and i am not able to listen sound in any internet sites or in pre-installed VLC, also vlc is not working properly. i have already tried executing some commands above and it shows amixer sset Master unmute
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]
Front Right: Playback 65536 [100%] [on]

but still i can't here even a warning sound.
please help,.

charonsecurity
2013-05-10, 07:25
Thanks to everyone, problem solved.....

It was the simplest thing. The switch on the wireless headset is wired backwards, on is actually off and vice versa.
Having not used this headset in 6 months, and not knowing it was switched ON all the time, when trying to get sound,
i was trying with a flat battery, and with the headset OFF.......
Simple charge and set the switch on the headset to OFF and all is fine now.

****** Logitech mistake and it was sending me insane........

We've all been there lol. So its all good,
bdg, I believe with VM it might use the VM Sound Driver? What host OS are you running VMware on? What are the related sound settings in VMware? Did you check mixer settings ?. Also checked to make sure its unmuted?

Azonix
2013-05-22, 10:50
We've all been there lol. So its all good,
bdg, I believe with VM it might use the VM Sound Driver? What host OS are you running VMware on? What are the related sound settings in VMware? Did you check mixer settings ?. Also checked to make sure its unmuted?

Im running native on HDD, not via VMWare.

charonsecurity
2013-05-24, 10:10
Sorry, I guess I shouldn't have quoted you in reply to bdg's issue. lol

jauharvp
2016-01-24, 23:47
need advice, i'm using kali 2 but sound is not working , there after i found solution by alsamixer after that i couldn't change volume by built in volume manager but i can by alsamixer, but now alsamixer also not working :(

Sulf0nium
2016-01-26, 17:04
Well that's what I did to solve my problem.

1 : (If you didn't do it yet) --> apt-get remove pulseaudio
2 : Once removed --> apt-get install pulseaudio
3 : Once installed --> run the following command: sudo pulseaudio. Your terminal will hang on so just close it. Normally, you'll see the sound icon automatically reappearing.

Tell me if it works for you.