PDA

View Full Version : unable to boot : crng init done

bambo
2019-02-22, 20:29
When i try to boot , after the rainbow screen and before getting to the login screen , the boot hangs on a "random crng init done" message.
I have unseccessfully been searching for a solution all over internet for almost a week.
I have also read similar posts on this forum but none that have helped get me through this booting problem.
Some tend to say it s a kernel problem?

Here is what i know so far :
SD card, power outlet and RPi 3 B+ are all brand new.
SD was reformated FAT32 using SD Card Formatter (also tryed through diskutil).
Image was flashed using Etcher.
I doubt it's the kali image as i have tried several different images including the RE4SON StickyFingers-Kali-Pi-armhf-180923.img
There is no yellow lightning mentioning insuffisient power, so it s not from the power outlet.
The green led blinks 4 times in a row very quickly, then pauses 1s and repeats the 4 blinks and so on.
The problem isnt from the SD card, as i have tryed 4 different SD cards from different brands and all result in the same problem.

I would be immensly greatefull if anyone could guide me past this crng init done issue.

Many thanks in advance!

Mister_X
2019-02-23, 18:09
Use 2019.1, it already has re4son kernel and stuff.

bambo
2019-02-24, 14:17
Hi Mister_X ,
Thanks for replying to my post.

So far i have tried the following images aside from re4son's preinstalled package :
kali-linux-2019.1-rpi3-nexmon-64.img
kali-linux-2019.1-rpi3-nexmon.img
kali-linux-2019.1-vm-amd64
All seem to result in the same error. Perhaps i'm not chosing the correct img file?

bambo
2019-02-24, 15:29
Got it working!

As dumb as this may sound, the problem was the micro SD to USB converter. being lazy i'd just leave the micro SD in the converter and plug it in the Pi via USB. When i finally decoded to take it out the converter and plug directly the micro SD into the Pi, it worked perfectly...

Thank you Mister_X for putting interest into my problem.
:cool: