PDA

View Full Version : Need a lot of advices, black screen, kali linux broken since 18.3

Hexe
2019-02-24, 11:54
I?m fighting with an huge problem on my notebook machine. It forced me to run old Kali linux distro. Or get a black screen booting kali.

First time encountered from 18.3 and still present in the last version. It appens installing a fresh kali, or dist-upgrade from an old one, or from the kali light 4.19 (which is the only one working of the recent release) apt-get kali-linux-full.

Probably caused by the integrated intel gpu and the nvidia 1050ti. Kali linux doesn?t act well when you have 2 gpu.

What I have tried:

nomodeset in grub
blacklisting in modprobe every nvidia/nouveau
Purging nvidia* (no one was installed)

So reading xserver logs I noticed the problem was clear:

-Number of screens doesn?t match numer of detected devices

Running:

xorg -configure

The configuration generated was effectively made for screen0 and screen1 with intel gpu for screen0 and the nvidia with nouveau drivers for screen1.

I manually changed it removing everything for the screen1 and nvidia card. Moved it in /etc/X11.

Nothing. Still black screen.

Then following some guide i tried removing .Xauthority.

Nothing.

Solution:

Installing kali linux light.

Apt-get install kali-linux-all.

Apt-mark hold (any libdrm and any xserver xorg )

apt-get dist-upgrade

Getting a working linux xfce screen (but guess what?

Shutdown/reboot both terminal and buttons freezed my notebook: Fixed adding some parameters in grub acpi apm.
BUT also my desktop space was bugged. I couldn?t copy paste, remove, execute anything on my Desktop (i could do it from thunar file manager).

Solution:

apt-get remove xfce4* libxfce4 fxdesktop

Apt-get install gnome (which installed only xserver-xephyr not hold by the command ap-mark) it installed gdm3.

Gnome worked.

But still desktop didn?t show any icon (looking around is not a bug they really made it so..)

Added add-on Desktop icons. It worked.

And now I?m running a working kali 4.19 with gnome.

But I?m sure as soon some dist-upgrade will require some libdrm/xserver upgrade I will get again this problem !

So I wanna get an easier solution. Please share any advice you can give me to try (I?m making a backup about my working kali so I can break it and restart 1000000 times)

Note: the solution is from last kali light realese, trying dist-upgrade from an old kali is not possible apt-mark old any libdrm and xserver, it requires libsnmp30 (it requires libsensors5 which requires libsensors-config)
And
libglx-mesa0 (it requires libglx1-mesa-dri which requires libdrm-amdgpu1)

This one force again the blackscreen.

Thank you!