PDA

View Full Version : Issues installing Kali 2019.1 on MSI Laptop

FisuNerd
2019-02-25, 15:46
Hello! How are you all doing?
This is my very first post (and very first attempt to install any distro of Linux) on these forums, so I will blast all of you with a lot of questions.
I bought an MSI GV62 7rd Gaming notebook (specs will be defined later on this post) which I used for gaming on Windows. But now I've started a course to get the CEH and CISSP certifications which, obviously, require me to practice at home.
I was using VMWare and VB to boot Kali, but it didnt work well (it worked, but not as I wanted, and resolution was horrible and I couldn't fix it).
So I had this idea of installing it on my laptop (by using DUAL BOOT with WIN 10). This is where the troubles began.

MSI Notebook Specs:
- WD SSD 256gb Green

- HDD Seagate 1tb

- Intel i5 6400hq (non OCed, never OCed)

- 8gb RAM (generic)

- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (4gb version)

- BIOS was updated to it's latest official tested firmware.

- BIOS boot modes= Legacy, UEFI, UEFI with CSM (tryied all of them, secure boot is DISABLED)

I booted up a Live Kali DVD from a USB stick (in legacy BIOS mode) and then the GRUB showed up with the classic options (Normal, Failsafe, Forensic, Install, Graphical Install). When I select live, it won't boot: It's stuck at "A Start job is running on live-config bla bla bla 18min 36s/no limit" and then it stops counting time and the only option here is hard resetting.
I tryied this like 2 or 3 times with no success, so I decided to boot in FailSafe Mode, which seemed to work.
Once FailSafe mode booted, I used gParted to partition the SSD into a 120gb volume for Windows and another (150gb) for Kali. And just after this I rebooted to Graphical Install Mode, everything went fine, partition worked, installer worked and finished. So I rebooted to start using my new Kali Linux OS but whoooops: after I put my password and try to log in the screen goes all black and nothing happens: the machine crashes and nothing is left to do but hard resetting (again).
After like 50 attempts and three days of "not-doing-anything-but-make-this-OS-work" I am starting to think crazy things like throwing the laptop through the window and give up (jk).
So, everything I did I could roll back to it's original state, until now.
(I forgot to say, Windows still works properly).
When I was tired of trying to install it on my SSD, I tryied on the HDD, which ended up in the same black screen and hardresetting issue, but this time I have 3 partitions on my HDD which there's 1 (the EFI) that cannot be deleted through DiskPartition nor DiskMgMt on Win, so I tryied to boot the Win Installer to raw format it, but the Installer for Windows 10 wont work now.
So I tryied once more with fail-safe mode, but this time it won't boot neither. It's totally broken.
I'm seriously concerned about the health of my HDD (I know, as an IT that there's always a way to roll it back to it's original state, but I don't know how xD)
So now I have two issues: A bad partitioned Hard Disk Drive. And a not installed Kali Linux.

Please help me, I'm desperate.

Mister_X
2019-02-26, 17:57
If live doesn't work, you may want to stick to a VM.

Before doing any change that you're unsure about to a HDD, you can always use clonezilla to back it up on another drive.