PDA

View Full Version : Kali, Virtualbox and 3D performance - Gnome3/Cinnamon

semy
2013-03-22, 12:08
I downloaded standard Kali x64 (with Gnome). I'm missing 'aero-snap' so I decided to find out how to add that feature to Gnome classic and I realized that it's much better to just switch to Cinnamon (it's in Debian's repos). The only problem is that I can't get it work.

I'm using VBox 4.2.6 and Intel 4000HD, 3D acceleration is enabled, 128 card memory and Cinnamon is working terribly slow. It complained about 3D support when I had 4.2.6 Guest Additions Drivers, when I installed these from repositories (4.1.~) it finally started, but it's not usable. Menu opens after 5 seconds. Current guest additions, doesn't work at all. Cinnamon just fall back to gnome classic.

Had anyone tried Kali and Cinnamon/Gnome3 on Virtualbox and had similiar experience?

brav0hax
2013-03-22, 12:34
semy - I just installed cinnamon from the Kali repos. I am running VBox 4.2.10 with Ubuntu 12.10 64 as the host. The guest is a 64 bit Kali linux 1.0.1 install

I am not experiencing any issues, though my hardware is for sure different than yours.

Here is what I might recommend, boot up with cinnamon and reinstall your VBox Guest Addition tools. I did notice before I installed the tools I got a GDM3 error. Once I reinstalled the tools and rebooted I did not experience the error.

If that does not work for you, please let me know if you have tried cinnamon-2D. If not, please try that and let me know if it provides a different result.

Best Regards,
Eric