PDA

View Full Version : Kali Linux Installation freezes at 8%

jbriscoe
2013-03-22, 17:26
Whether I use the Graphical installation or the basic installation, Kali freezes at the same location. I'm trying to install on a Dell Optiplex 780 and 790, nothing fancy, using the AMD64 version of Kali Linux.

I checked the other forum post to see if perhaps my particular issue has already been resolved. I did notice some similarities with what others are reporting but not anything completely the same as my issue.
I'm not doing an install by USB, I don't have any mouse and keyboard issues, and neither any outstanding hardware compatitbility issues -- at least to my knowledge.

Using the live CD works wonderfully. I have no issues at all with it. It just when I go ahead to install I get all the way up to where it is "installing the system" and it crashes at 8% giving me the message "installation step failed."

Any thoughts anyone?

brav0hax
2013-03-23, 02:27
jbriscoe

I can't find anything that says your system has a 64bit chipset.

Dell specs:
http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-780/pd

Intel Chip Info:
http://ark.intel.com/products/36527/82Q45-Graphics-and-Memory-Controller-Hub

Are you certain you have a 64 bit system?

Have you tried the 32 bit ISO?

Thanks
Eric

maverik35
2013-03-23, 03:53
If your live dvd is 64bit kali version and runs fine, certainly you have a 64bit system.

Do you have any windows installed? If so, check if it has the 64bit version.

How about the partition you are trying to install on?..How do you have your partitions in HDD?..You must have a ext4 partition and another one for swap.

If so, try to install with manual option.

Also, you can try recording ISO at lowest speed possible.

Luck.

charonsecurity
2013-03-23, 08:36
Another suggestion I would like to pose is to run a scan on your hard drive for errors. It's possible there may be some bad sectors that can cause a hang up. But then again it may also be a bad CD burn like Maverik35 suggested, so I recommend to follow his steps first:)

usufktk
2013-03-23, 16:43
I have the same problem tried lots of suggestions nothing works the only thing which worked for me was to disable everything (network, sound vt ... etc except usb) in BIOS and enable all after installation.

jbriscoe
2013-03-24, 04:26
If your live dvd is 64bit kali version and runs fine, certainly you have a 64bit system.

Do you have any windows installed? If so, check if it has the 64bit version.

How about the partition you are trying to install on?..How do you have your partitions in HDD?..You must have a ext4 partition and another one for swap.

If so, try to install with manual option.

Also, you can try recording ISO at lowest speed possible.

Luck.

I don't have Windows installed. This is a HDD in which I had Backtrack 5r3 installed on it. I did a wipe on the HDD using Dban and then proceeded to install Kali. As far as how I have my partitions setup, I am using the partition setup that Kali had listed whereas /usr/, /var, /tmp, etc would be on their own ext4 partition. The system creates partitions just fine, it's the next step -- the install step -- that fails.

I did record the ISO at the lowest speed. I saw that in other post and thought I would try that before I began my post.

jbriscoe
2013-03-24, 04:31
I don't have Windows installed. This is a HDD in which I had Backtrack 5r3 installed on it. I did a wipe on the HDD using Dban and then proceeded to install Kali. As far as how I have my partitions setup, I am using the partition setup that Kali had listed whereas /usr/, /var, /tmp, etc would be on their own ext4 partition. The system creates partitions just fine, it's the next step -- the install step -- that fails.

I did record the ISO at the lowest speed. I saw that in other post and thought I would try that before I began my post.

maverik35
2013-03-25, 14:35
I do not understand well, what did you use to partition HDD?..

I installed kali using: /, /home, swap (2 partitions and swap) and all in extended partition..I partitioned the HDD using as always, gparted, then reboot with kali dvd live and used, as always, install option (NOT Graphical install) and installed manually, then (not guided), configuring mounting points: /home and /, write changes and then installation ends up fine...Make sure you have identified the partitions.

Try with / and /home..The /var is one of the most increasing folders in Debian, but it will do no harm keeping it in the same partiton and making some maintenance such as erasing some files like in /var/log/. As to the /tmp, it gets erased every time you boot..

But again, is your decision, but try with 2 partitions and swap. Let's see what happens.

Luck.

jbriscoe
2013-03-25, 21:17
Maverik35,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I followed what you wrote above in your last post and it worked. I was finally able to install Kali to my HDD. I'm all up and running.

sahi
2014-12-18, 16:17
I'VE try that, and it's still give me the error. PLEASE HELP!!! I BEG YOU PLEASE