PDA

View Full Version : Kali loading all the kernal files gets stuck at a blank screen.

rachit2501
2019-10-08, 14:26
On doing sudo apt-get update , apt-get upgrade and apt dist-upgrade , on restarting the screen gets stuck with the cursor on top left and the mouse cursor and everything else blank. Alt+ctrl+f1 does switches to terminal (observable by the disapearing of the mouse cursor) but I m unable to type anything in it. I tried resinstalling my Nvidia drivers using recovery mode but no success . Any fix for this issue i have encounterd?

My specs:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz Memory: 8192MB RAM
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1050

I have a dual booted system configuration with windows 10 on one partition and kali linux on the other.

hanhctf
2019-10-09, 20:06
This fixed the problem for me: (downgrading gnome-shell)

sudo apt install gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0=3.30.2.1-2

sudo apt-mark hold gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0

rachit2501
2019-10-10, 06:54
Not working. After doing the fix you recommended....the login screen shows up but after login it gets stuck at a blue screen.

darkrift2012
2019-10-10, 13:30
Not working. After doing the fix you recommended....the login screen shows up but after login it gets stuck at a blue screen.

Experienced the gnome update problem a few days ago, the downgrade fixed the problem, however after the updates on 2019-10-10, I am being dumped to the cli/tty1 login interface, the desktop manager GUI is gone.

Re-installed the gir1.2-gnomedesktop-3.0_3.30.2.1-2_amd64.deb from the command line again, rebooted and it continues to dump me to the cli/tty1 login.

Ran the apt-get update and the GUI login is available however after logging in I, too, get the solid blue screen, no icons, no interface interaction.

Suggestions?

darkrift2012
2019-10-10, 14:18
I was able to correct my gnome blue screen issue by purging gnome-session and re-installing gnome-session:

apt-get purge gnome-session
apt-get install gnome-session
reboot

However, the newest version of gnome desktop on my install no longer shows any of my icons or side-dock/favorites, only [Activities] in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. Selecting [Activities] with the mouse shows my side-dock/favorites and allows me to access everything normally.

YMMV

rachit2501
2019-10-10, 18:47
That worked like a charm. I also insalled the new patch which eventually fixed the problem . Thank you all for the support.