PDA

View Full Version : Need help backing up / restoring Kali to a larger sd card

gbugli
2019-11-18, 17:37
I'm dual booting my Asus C100 Chromebook and running Kali off a 16gb microSD card. I followed the instructions here https://docs.kali.org/kali-on-arm/kali-linux-asus-chromebook-flip and it's working perfectly; I simply press CTRL-D at boot time to boot ChromeOS or CTRL-U at boot time to boot Kali. The thing is, I would now like to use a larger 64gb microSD card for my Kali install, so I made a backup of the 16gb microSD by inserting it into another linux laptop and using dd to create a backup image, but when I rewrite that image using dd to the larger 64gb microSD card, the restored image does not boot. My Chromebook just makes a default beep sound as if it does not understand how to boot the larger 64gb microSD card. I've checked the partition layout of the original and larger microSD cards and they look the same other than the larger card having more space but I don't know what I'm missing. Should I be backing up / restoring differently rather than using dd? Is there MBR or other boot data on the original microSD card that is missing when I restore the image to the larger microSD card? Appreciate any advice or guidance!

Robertde12e
2019-11-29, 23:50
Had the same problem except mine was because I was trying to install Kali from a USB to the SSD.
I dont know if this will work with a card but it couldn't hurt to try.
Easiest way start up Windows Google search Kali live USB devanswers devanswers is all one word or it wint find it. Midway down the top paragraph it say click here for encrypted persistence click it. Unencrypted is hit or miss with the larger drive.
You have to follow the directions backwards start with the mini partition wizard.
Open the wizard click on your drive and format it fat32 has to be fat32. You cant do it with Windows disk manager or the cmd it wont let you they lock it off at a certain size.
Then start at the beginning of the directions until the USB installer do not use Rufus it will fail use the other one he suggests. Do everything he says with the USB installer plus tick the box that says all drives if you dont it wont find it. On USB it finds it either way. Start the USB installer.
Move to Mini Partition Wizard as per the instructions.
Follow the rest as he says until the reboot.
You wont have persistence the first time so do like he says and reboot login then reboot again it will be working. You cant select uefi or legacy on the USB installer that's ok your computer will boot the legacy if you have uefi it doesn't matter. I tried uefi once it didn't work and it doesnt change anything anyway.
Just remember format the entire drive fat32 tick the box in mini partition the persistence part of the drive change to unallocated.
It's not hard just follow the directions copy and paste if you want just make sure to use the name if your drive where it says sdb or sda whatever it says, change it to what yours is.
Other than that the tools do it all for you. Dont use Rufus it doesnt work the other one he suggests works perfect everytime. Good luck. Have fun.