PDA

View Full Version : Kali Freezing can't get find a solution can't see a reason as to why ?

robertD
2019-11-20, 23:50
Hi I have searched and found quite a few resources for this, but none seem to help. Kali keeps freezing I'm using Kali 2019.03 I have been having this problem since 2019.01 . I have four computers and from USB it happens on all of them. I'm just doing whatever it doesn't seem to matter and It freezes except for the cursor most times sometimes it freezes too. The only thing I can get to work is alt, sysrq, B. I was thinking it was ram but I tried one of my USB's on my desktop it has 24GB Corsair Vengeance RAM and it does the same thing. It's annoying I loose data but only what was on the screen when it freezes. It's not really a big problem but it does get annoying sometimes when I have to reboot 4 or 5 times in a session, that doesn't happen a lot. I can't say what I'm doing when it happens because it doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing, some days it runs like a beast others freezing. The other problem with more info is it happens on four different computers from what I'm gathering this is just something it does, so is there a way to lessen the amount of episodes ? I'm using seven or eight different USB's I have different ones for different things, would it help if I put each one on it's own SSD I have a few I was going to build a computer and use three drives but I haven't got around to it yet, I could just use them for Kali. I don't really want to put Kali on one for security reasons I know you understand. The USB's are all Sansdisk Cruzer and Sansdisk Ultra Fit their all 128 GB.If there's not an answer great if there is even better. I'm not going to stop using Kali over freezes but today was a banner day with this issue so I have finally decided to try finding a solution again Thanks for any help. Please don't misunderstand me it sounds worse than it probably is, but to be rid of the problem would be wonderful.

Im_₹@#
2019-12-06, 20:13
kali freezes during reboot or shutdown
(appears a blank screen + blinking cursor) & (even can fix other issues _if both steps are followed_ such as not showing brightness slider in the notfication bar at top right corner)
It actually causes due to problems with fetching nvidia drivers during turning on/off (intutively while rebooting)
this can be solved as follows:
change the below line
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" or it may be like this (**nomodeset acpi=force apm=poweroff reboot=bios)
to
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nouveau.modeset=0
this is just a temporary step of not loading nvidia drivers, instead nouveau drivers(open source onces are fetched) later can be changed.
then run the command update-grub .
try to reboot or shutdown or switch users
If this doesn't work don't worry, try below procedure this should hopefully fixes the above issue:
try to upgrade , update linux version to latest stable release or if required update kernal
1)apt-get update (fetches how much it has to update)
2)apt-get upgrade (actual updation)
3)apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get full upgrade (if requred or if you like to update your kernal version this process will definitely help)
#########above 3 steps requires good internet connection###########
try to reboot or shutdown or switch users (it works for all the above cases)
note if apt-get update doesnt wotk try to remove lock files using rm -rf *******(path mentioned in the terminal at the issue )*********
this should work !
:)