PDA

View Full Version : ParrotSec OS-type resource monitor for Kali 2019.4!

Bsullivan1983
2019-12-11, 00:21
Hey everyone! Does anyone know a way to add a resource monitor to Kali like the one in Parrot OS? Seems it'd be easier now that it's running Xfce and not Gnome, although I think Parrot runs MATE (can't remember, don't use it that often). I've tried finding ones but I really want the EXACT one Parrot is using as I love it and the ones I've found/tried just aren't the same.

Rasalom
2019-12-11, 03:41
What does it use, conky?

This is conky (https://i.imgur.com/SlOaz9A.png)

Bsullivan1983
2019-12-11, 11:01
No sir, it seems to be proprietary, but I'm pretty sure there are taskbar/panel-type resource monitors available out there. ParrotSec uses MATE, the new default Kali uses Xfce; I think I'm going to stick with the Gnome version as I'm highly OCD and don't like major change. I just thought after installing at first, "Wow, I can finally get a resource monitor like in ParrotOS!" to myself. It's just nice to be able to see at a glance without it taking up much, if any, room. Here (https://imgur.com/a/GImfLIY) is what it looks like in ParrotSec OS.

Rasalom
2019-12-11, 16:27
No sir, it seems to be proprietary, but I'm pretty sure there are taskbar/panel-type resource monitors available out there. ParrotSec uses MATE, the new default Kali uses Xfce; I think I'm going to stick with the Gnome version as I'm highly OCD and don't like major change. I just thought after installing at first, "Wow, I can finally get a resource monitor like in ParrotOS!" to myself. It's just nice to be able to see at a glance without it taking up much, if any, room. Here (https://imgur.com/a/GImfLIY) is what it looks like in ParrotSec OS.

apt-cache search system-monitor found these in Kali.

mate-system-monitor - Process viewer and system resource monitor for MATE
mate-system-monitor-common - Process viewer and system resource monitor for MATE (common files)

So I'm assuming that's what it is.

Bsullivan1983
2019-12-11, 22:06
apt-cache search system-monitor found these in Kali.

mate-system-monitor - Process viewer and system resource monitor for MATE
mate-system-monitor-common - Process viewer and system resource monitor for MATE (common files)

So I'm assuming that's what it is.

Ahh, yes, it could be, but that requires MATE. I'd either be running the default 2019.4 which uses Xfce or sticking with the original and going 2019.4 Gnome, although I don't think there's anything like this for Gnome. Hmm.... I could dig into Parrot OS some more, see if it is, in fact, a separate package and not built-in and write my own resource monitor to match it for Xfce, as I'm a programmer, hacker, you name it, I do it/have done it :) I do like the lightness of Xfce, and Parrot Security OS runs great on MATE, but with Kali, I've just been using it (and Backtrack) so long it's just really hard for me to move away from Gnome for something I use 12-16 hours a day 6 days a week (again, the OCD). Thanks for your help, I'll look into it. A simple ps aux or top and some time should tell me rather quickly whether or not it's a propriety package built in to Parrot or a MATE package that's downloadable. I'd then have to.... well... it'd be a lot of work getting Kali the way I want to to be. ****, I still use 2018.2 occasionally lol. I think I have every *.iso of Kali (and Backtrack) ever released backed up on my NAS. Ok, enough rambling. Thanks again and have a good one.