PDA

View Full Version : No audio // Kali 2019.4 // official .ova on VirtualBox 6.1.0 r135406 (Qt5.6.2)

n0l0
2019-12-22, 10:00
Using Kali official virtualbox image (sha256:
1bad2cf0e342e22586366605aefe5d8fa54480bf333cfad289 2d3897cec07c01)
on VirtualBox 6.1.0 r135406 (Qt5.6.2) on Windows 10 host, bluetooth headphones passing through host to vm.

Non-root user and root alike, no sound. pavucontrol shows audio output when running youtube vids in firefox.

I get a couple clicks when the logo is flashing on login screen before lightdm loads fully then nada.

My vm settings were working a few weeks back with a previous copy of the vm. I could switch between running vm and host and could use headphones seamlessly. I upgraded VirtualBox and downloaded a fresh copy of the .ova from the OfSec site.

I had audio intermittently on first boot of the vm then lost it. Now it's kaput. Tried looking at /var/log/syslog for clues, no errors that I can see. I recall trying the uninstall pulseaudio then reinstall trick before but that was for gnome. This new 2019.4 has xfce so I didn't go through all the steps just reinstalled pulseaudio. Added +x perms on ~/.config/pulse files. I noticed that no environment variables are showing up though for pulse*...I think this could be an issue.

Anyone having issues with this and have you got a fix?

lnogueak
2020-07-07, 19:37
Using Kali official virtualbox image (sha256:
1bad2cf0e342e22586366605aefe5d8fa54480bf333cfad289 2d3897cec07c01)
on
VirtualBox 6.1.0 r135406 (Qt5.6.2) on Windows 10 host, bluetooth headphones passing through host to vm.

Non-root user and root alike, no sound. pavucontrol shows audio output when running youtube vids in firefox.

I get a couple clicks when the logo is flashing on login screen before lightdm loads fully then nada.

My vm settings were working a few weeks back with a previous copy of the vm. I could switch between running vm and host and could use headphones seamlessly. I upgraded VirtualBox and downloaded a fresh copy of the .ova from the OfSec site.

I had audio intermittently on first boot of the vm then lost it. Now it's kaput. Tried looking at /var/log/syslog for clues, no errors that I can see. I recall trying the uninstall pulseaudio then reinstall trick before but that was for gnome. This new 2019.4 has xfce so I didn't go through all the steps just reinstalled pulseaudio. Added +x perms on ~/.config/pulse files. I noticed that no environment variables are showing up though for pulse*...I think this could be an issue.

Anyone having issues with this and have you got a fix?

Ive Jost experienced the same issue and solved it going to /settings/audio and changed the audio controller from the dropdown list, as not all of them work, you have to find the one that does.