PDA

View Full Version : Cannot put my Wifi Adapter into Monitor Mode using the new 64-bit ARMv8 Kali Linux for RPi 3!

noobearth
2019-12-23, 14:28
I recently did an upgrade to the 64-bit version of Kali Linux for my Raspberry Pi 3B rev. v1.2. Everything was fine until I decided to put my Atheros AR9271 Wifi Adapter into one of the USB ports and put into monitor mode using airmon-ng:

sudo airmon-ng start wlan1

I was expecting the program to return the now-in-monitor-mode message of my interface, something like wlan1mon, but instead it froze halfway:

Found 2 processes that could cause trouble.Kill them using 'airmon-ng check kill' before putting
the card in monitor mode, they will interfere by changing channels
and sometimes putting the interface back in managed mode

PID Name
421 NetworkManager
489 wpa_supplicant

PHY Interface Driver Chipset

phy0 wlan0 brcmfmac Broadcom 43430
phy1 wlan1 ath9k_htc Qualcomm Atheros Communications AR9271 802.11n

I tried a few suggestions, including bringing the interface down with ifconfig, which appeared to work at first, but when I took a round of scanning with airodump-ng, the terminal froze as well.
I also tried all kinds of update/upgrade, switching to new ports, swapping power sources and power cables, but nothing helped.
Here was what uname -a returned:

Linux kali 4.19.81-Re4son-v8+ #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 6 03:33:03 UTC 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

I tried upgrading the kernel from re4son, but I suspect they might be older than what I'm currently having on my distro.
Is this supposed to be a bug? Should I file a report to re4son?
I remembered being able to put the same adapter into monitor mode using the 32-bit kernel from re4son.
Comment if anyone wants additional information (e.g. logs, screenshots...) from me.

Thank for reading and have a nice day.

Peesha_Deel
2019-12-28, 14:22
You have to stop NetworkManager

run 'airmon-ng check kill'

or service NetworkManager stop