PDA

View Full Version : PC shutting off after a few minutes. Also, issues with dual boot and being a noob

CoolJ
2020-01-07, 19:42
Hey guys, I'm new to using Linux for personal computers even though I've used them in school. I decided I wanted to use Kali since I got a new SSD, and I would have Linux on my ssd and windows 10 on my hdd. I'm using the 2019.4 version, and I'm having two issues, one of which is due entirely to my stupidity.

Issue one, which I have no clue how to solve, is that when I turn on my PC and boot into Kali, everything works fine for about five minutes. Then my screen shuts off, all of the fans in my PC go to full blast, and it just sits there until I turn it off and turn it back on again. I want to clarify, I can use Kali just fine until this happens, there is no issue with any of the programs, and it doesn't correspond to any particular action. It is always the same amount of time before shutting down, though.

Issue two is that I've accidentally set up Grub, and grub cannot tell that I have Windows 10 installed. Most people online tell me that I have to use Windows boot media to go into the recovery center and enter a specific command: bootrec/fixmbr.

However, I can only access the grub cmd line when I've disconnected my ssd, which takes me to grub rescue. Normally it pulls me into a Kali boot screen which only gives me the option to boot into Kali or into Kali recovery mode.

The reason I'm asking here is because most people with this issue have a dual boot on one partitioned drive, whereas I actually have two separate drives. I know I've messed up something here, but I really don't know how to turn it back around. I'd appreciate any help.

EDIT: I've solved my issues with dual boot. For those looking for answers, I created a windows recovery usb, and booted into windows recovery mode. Then, using the command prompt, I inputted the command listed above "bootrec /fixmbr" without the quotes (the space is important!). I still am having issues with my PC shutting itself off after only a few minutes when using Kali, however.