PDA

View Full Version : Win10 and Kali Linux 2020 dual boot

bulgarianboy
2020-01-29, 21:28
Hello I am having issues when installing Kali Linux 2020 everything complete but then it bring be to a logon screen I log in but this doesn't use a graphical interface it is all black like cmd or terminal and I only remain in a terminal.

It reads:
Kali GNU/Linux Rolling kali tty4

kali logon:
password:

After I log in I remain in that window and when I try startx or sudo startx it doesn't work. From my understanding this was supposed to have a graphical interface because I selected desktop under software during the install.

Neo_Kalinator
2020-02-01, 14:46
Hi, i am facing a similar issue. kali opening in text mode and startx not working. The version 2020.1 has been creating this issue. i have also setup a thread on it but there has not been a word despite 39 views yet. :(

rollercoaster
2020-02-04, 08:56
Try this:

systemctl status display-manager

systemctl start display-manager

tasi1200
2020-02-04, 16:16
am having the same issue no GUI after installation and my wifi is not being detected

redmatter3
2020-02-23, 19:12
I am also having the same issue. Fresh Win10 install. Fresh Kali 2020.1 install. Boot up into text mode login. i can login in using the user name and pass I made. there's no sudo (-bash: sudo: command not found), there's also no su (wants a password that I never made)

Try this:

systemctl status display-manager

systemctl start display-manager

I tried both of those commands and they both return "Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory"

I've googled for the past 3 days trying new things and can't find a single fix.

au10tic
2020-04-09, 02:44
i just did a dual boot in Fusion with win10 and kali 2020.1 and everything went smooth, i ran the installation using the live iso of kali, resized the windows partition with gparted and installed kali on the new ext4 partitio, also created a 2gb swap partition for it. Not sure if you guys are still having issues with this.

MalanMC
2020-04-09, 11:37
i just did a dual boot in Fusion with win10 and kali 2020.1 and everything went smooth, i ran the installation using the live iso of kali, resized the windows partition with gparted and installed kali on the new ext4 partitio, also created a 2gb swap partition for it. Not sure if you guys are still having issues with this.AppValley (https://appvalley.one/)

Thank you so much for proper guide @au10tic..
I have installed windows 10 and Kali Linux 2020 properly using this way...

UPDATED (I have tested in Windows 8)

Regards
MalanMC