PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing kernel headers

ThatManNextStore
2020-02-25, 23:30
Hello! This problem stems from when I tried to install VMware, but got the following error message:

I had assumed that it was because I hadn't installed my Kernel Headers, so I had used the command: [
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) that I got from this tutorial:(https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-linux-kernel-headers-on-kali-linux-2-0-kali-sana/), but it simply gave me the following message:

root@nope:~# sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
linux-headers-5.4.0-kali4-amd64 : Depends: linux-headers-5.4.0-kali4-common (= 5.4.19-1kali1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: linux-kbuild-5.4 (>= 5.4.19-1kali1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: linux-compiler-gcc-9-x86 but it is not going to be installed
ruby-cms-scanner : Depends: ruby-progressbar (>= 1.9.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

From what I see, it's saying I have unmet dependencies, which I'm not too sure what that means

Any Help would be greatly appriciated! - Thanks

steev
2020-02-26, 20:59
You should run `apt update` again, and then run the command it mentions in the output - `apt --fix-broken install` without the quotes. Sometimes the mirrors haven't finished updating when you've synced so packages aren't available.