PDA

View Full Version : Wireless adapters not picking up wireless networks

yanglee92
2020-04-06, 02:39
Good day to all,

Please excuse my ignorance as I am new to Kali Linux and to the forums. If there is another thread already, please point me in the right direction.

I have Kali Linux2020.1 installed onto a virtual box for both PC and Laptop and both are experiencing the same issue.

My Wireless products:
Alfa AWUS036NH
Alfa AWUS036ACH
Panda Wireless PAU09

Virtual Box USB and NETWORK settings:
USB 3.0 enabled and USB device was added within USB under settings called Ralink 802.11 n WLAN or Realtek(This is for the PandaWireless)

I disabled my network adapters for Kali Linux VM because I want to simulate me working on the outside trying to find vulnerabilities to a network.
I tried installing the drivers for those products into kali linuc but issue persisted.

As I launch my Kali and I enter "airmon-ng start wlan0" command, it does not pick up my wireless adapter.
I tried running command "airodump-ng wlan0mon" but it does not pick up any networks.
I tried running wireless attacks > Fern wireless cracker and it was able to pick up my wireless card(wlan0).
---------------------------------------

What I did try was looking my issue up on youtube and they said I have to download and install an old compat wireless
compat-wireless-2010-06-26-p.tar.bz2 and that help with my wireless adapter to be seen so I can run the "airmon-ng start wlan0" to
put my wireless adapter in monitor mode and "airodump-ng wlan0mon" to run be able to run a scan.

Main issue: When running Airodump command: It is scanning for wireless networks now, but its not picking up any WEP/WPA when my wifi laptop is picking up
wireless networks all over.
This happened both at my work and at home with 3 separate wireless adapters.

Does anyone else get this as well?

Please advise.

fitfaizan
2020-04-10, 17:48
Yes, I am having the same issue.. WiFi adapter is connected but is not catching any signals... sometimes it do show some signals but don't connect and disappear again

yanglee92
2020-05-14, 03:20
Hey fitfaizan,

I think I've got a work around. You will have to use an image from 2019 instead of 2020. As soon as I used a kali linux version from 2019 and ran Fern wifi cracker, airmon and airodump commands, I see EVERYTHING.
If you can find an image from early 2019 then go for it. If you need the one I found and used, let me know.

root of pi
2020-05-19, 19:06
Hello,

Kindly try downloading the driver as shown below:

apt-get update
apt-get install firmware-ralink

Try also the following when you connect the adapter:

- Experiment with connecting the adapter before and after Kali fully loads, and after you log in as root.
- Experiment with setting the adapter to use USB 2.0 and 3.0 in Kali system settings in Vbox.
- Make sure you connect the adapter directly to the computer, don't use a hub or an extension.
- And experiment with connecting the adapter to different USB ports.