PDA

View Full Version : Problem in reducing Maximum hard disk size of Kali Linux VM on Vmware Workstation

kalistudent366
2020-04-08, 08:20
Hello All,

I have installed Kali linux from a pre-configured image of 2020.1 version on vmware workstation 10.
The installation of Kali on VM happened as per the Kali documentation article by gotmi1k.The instructions were so perfect that Internet sharing, clipboard operations between host and guest works like a song. Earlier I had to struggle to get Internet sharing etc to work when I installed Kali on Hyper V.
The VM that was installed shows a maximum disk size of 80 GB. When the screens were shown before the installation it didn?t ask me the max size of the disk to be created but took this size automatically.
Presently it is a growable disk with multiple disks of 2GB each. I want to reduce the max size to 40 Gb as I have to fit two more disks in 100 GB space after leaving some space for growth.

What I did so far?

I went through and followed the steps in the article: https://www.kali.org/docs/virtualization/install-vmware-tools-kali-guest/ by gotmi1k.
After running the commands some more tools got downloaded, installed.I rebooted Vm and also ran command restart-vm-tools.
However when I run the command vmware-toolbox it says ?command not found?. The VM tab on the top shows ?Reinstall VM tools? from the beginning & continues to show the same thing. So it seems there was a partial installation of VM tools at the time of creation of VM and even after installation of latest round of tools, the position remains the same.

I went to the link: https://www.virtuatopia.com/index.php?title=Command_Line_Management_of_VMware_ Virtual_Disks
and tried to convert the virtual hard disk to a single pre-allocated one using the vmware-vdiskmanager.exe tool installed in Vmware but it fails to convert giving one or more message.
I don?t want to shrink disk or compress it but reduce max size displayed by it.

How to solve this problem?

Regards.