PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about persistant live USB performance and settings

leisa26
2020-05-05, 23:26
Hey,

i?m new to Kali, currently have it installed on my system via dualboot.
Im thinking about changing to a persistant live USB which i can use when i need it, but i got some questions about it.

I read was looking this up and read a lot of different opinions that a smaller size (8 or 16GB) runs better, and im not sure about how important it is to use a fast stick.
I know the usb sticks like Sandisk Ultra Fit, they start by like 80 MB/s then get hot and drop down to like 1-2 MB/s on writing, similar but not as bad as on writing on read.

So in general id like to know what you can recommend me, is it fine to use a regular stick, or is it worht going for something like an Sandisk extreme pro wich can maintain high speeds for kali?

Also im not sure about the size, since i will mostly use an laptop with low speccs im not sure if its worth getting like 128GB to also carry wordlists with me when the hashing performance will be really slow,
on the other hand if i got it right and get for example an hash, then swap the stick to a desktop machine and boot it i can hash it with the wordlist already on or am i missing something out there like drivers etc.?

My Question here is if the performance on for example hashcat would be the same running on an installed system on an ssd, as when i run a live stick on the same machine?

Then i also got some questions about the persistent live usb, lets say i boot it up update the whole system, add a wlan network for example, do my keyboard settings, configure touch pad and so on,
will all this changes stay after reboot or do i only have access to a seperate partition where i can put data but all the other settings i do will be reset?

Since i wrote a lot i will sum up my questions here again:

1: Does read/write speed on the USB drive matter for a good using experience?

2: Which site would you recommend, and is it worth going for 128GB and keeping wordlist on it aswell?

3: Can i boot the live system up on any machine and get good hashing results or does it require specific drivers and so on?

4: Does the persistent live system save changes to the system settings like mouse pointer speed, keyboard layout, saved networks or does it only provide me a partition where i can store data?

5: If i update the live system, add software to my needs like install tools etc does it keep all updates and added software after reboot?

Thank you all for your help!

g0st
2020-09-06, 04:07
These are the same questions I came here to get answers to. Sorry to see you didn't get any responses.