PDA

View Full Version : How to update openvas to the latest version in kali linux

sram
2020-05-28, 15:46
Hi to all,

I want to learn to use openvas to do some vulnerability analysis. So, I went on and installed it on my kali VM successfully. I opened the web user interface and ran it against one target and it worked. I was able to find some vulnerabilities and even exploit some. All was fine. However, the installation process always takes me to version 7.0.3, which is not the latest version as per openvas forums. I tried it more than once. Why is that? If it is downloading from the internet, shouldn't it just get the latest version? Without the latest version, I'm not going to get accurate results.

Anyhow, my version is now 7.0.3. How do I update it? What is the command for that? I tried to search but couldn't find any useful results.

Thanks.

sram
2020-05-28, 17:15
Hi to all,

I want to learn to use openvas to do some vulnerability analysis. So, I went on and installed it on my kali VM successfully. I opened the web user interface and ran it against one target and it worked. I was able to find some vulnerabilities and even exploit some. All was fine. However, the installation process always takes me to version 7.0.3, which is not the latest version as per openvas forums. I tried it more than once. Why is that? If it is downloading from the internet, shouldn't it just get the latest version? Without the latest version, I'm not going to get accurate results.

Anyhow, my version is now 7.0.3. How do I update it? What is the command for that? I tried to search but couldn't find any useful results.

Thanks.

I'm using the latest kali linux in oracle virtualbox. This is the guide I used:

https://tools.kali.org/vulnerability-analysis/openvas

sram
2020-05-29, 19:15
Hi to all,

Thanks.

Hi again,

I found out how to update it ! I found out this very nice video by this nice youtube guy:

https://www.***********************UGQHwbAX2F4

You can use it too!

I followed his steps and I updated it successfully. I was able to find fresh new vulnerabilities so it did update. However, the version is still 7.0.3 . I'm not sure if that should change or stay the same. It didn't change in his case as well. The guys in Greenbone forums told me 7.0.3 is outdated.

Any comments?

FNK0ID
2020-06-02, 10:34
The version packaged with Kali has been deprecated, there is a bug that has been reported about it here https://bugs.kali.org/view.php?id=6423

FNK0ID
2020-08-03, 14:02
Looking at the bug reports now OpenVAS / GVM is back "new package gvm version 11.0.1~kali6 is in kali-rolling.
it replaces openvas" Not tried this yet though? Anyone else?