PDA

View Full Version : Installing Kali Linux from USB hangs on Detecting Network...

spa_ce
2013-03-23, 16:08
Hi. I tried installing Kali from a usb drive but it hangs after detecting hardware in text mode and on detecting network in graphical mode. I can run in live mode but the problem is installing.

PC: HP Pavilion g4-1215dx Laptop
video/cpu: AMD Radeon HD 6480G/ AMD A4-3300M APU
Network Cards: eth: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, wifi: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

Any help is greatly appreciated..

charonsecurity
2013-03-24, 15:21
Hi. Maybe we can troubleshoot this:)
Do you have any peripherals attached, such as mouse, printer, external HDD etc? If so, try disconnecting everything as possible and give it another try. Also how long are you allowing it to hang before you decide to stop the install? Another possibility is that for some reason or another your USB is corrupt, have your tried to use a cdrom install or your hard drive may have bad errors, have you checked for disk errors?

spa_ce
2013-03-24, 15:46
Hi. Maybe we can troubleshoot this:)
Do you have any peripherals attached, such as mouse, printer, external HDD etc? If so, try disconnecting everything as possible and give it another try. Also how long are you allowing it to hang before you decide to stop the install? Another possibility is that for some reason or another your USB is corrupt, have your tried to use a cdrom install or your hard drive may have bad errors, have you checked for disk errors?

I only had a usb mouse connected but I also tried installing without it and still hangs. After it tries to detect the network hardware it hangs and I cant move the cursor. I waited for 10 minutes after that but had to hard-shutdown when I saw no activity. I've not tried with a cdrom. I will try a cdrom install, check my HD for errors, and will update shortly.. thanks

bofh28
2013-03-24, 19:17
How did you put the iso on the thumb drive? Unetbootin? Win32 Disk Imager? Something else?

If you used Unetbootin that would be the problem. Unetbootin doesn't generate a correct syslinux.cfg for Kali.

maverik35
2013-03-25, 04:26
Use the installation method indicated in wiki, do not use any other software to create USB install.

I suggest you to use dd command as stated in wiki. Is the Debian way after all....

Also try DVD live, it should work properly....Check the SHA1 see if it's correct.

Luck..

spa_ce
2013-03-25, 07:40
How did you put the iso on the thumb drive? Unetbootin? Win32 Disk Imager? Something else?

If you used Unetbootin that would be the problem. Unetbootin doesn't generate a correct syslinux.cfg for Kali.

I used Win32 Disk Imager..

Use the installation method indicated in wiki, do not use any other software to create USB install.

I suggest you to use dd command as stated in wiki. Is the Debian way after all....

Also try DVD live, it should work properly....Check the SHA1 see if it's correct.

Luck..

I followed instructions from the wiki. The SHA1 is correct.

spa_ce
2013-03-25, 11:04
I think I figured out the problem, I had to open the laptop and disconnect the wifi adapter. Kali should be able to install without me having to do that but then again its the first release. Thanks for trying to help me out.

kholz
2014-02-02, 04:48
For anyone looking at this post now, I just had this problem.

Fix:
- Run the text install (just normal Install, not Graphical Install)
- Before doing anything, hit alt + f2
- Run the command:
nano /bin/check-missing-firmware
- Insert "exit 0" (without quotes) after #! /bin/sh
- Write the file, and exit (commands are on the bottom of the screen, if you are unfamiliar with nano)
- Hit alt + f1 to return to the installation
- Reap the benefits

Best of luck
K

InjenieroBarsa
2014-02-27, 23:52
Still doesn't work. I tried kholz's method. It skips the network hardware detection, tries to detect networks after that, and hangs again.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 14 (N4050) with a Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

And no, the wired network doesn't work, either.

maverik35
2014-02-28, 17:51
Try not using mirrors when installing. When it prompts to use a mirror say "No" and keep installing.

Does it detects the network when using eth0? Does it give yoyu a chice to use eth0 or wlan (wifi)?

InjenieroBarsa
2014-02-28, 18:12
I can't get even to that. I assume the mirror selection is shown after the network hardware detection phase, which is the one that hangs.

grymoire
2014-03-02, 15:05
Does it detects the network when using eth0? Does it give yoyu a chice to use eth0 or wlan (wifi)?

I have the same problem when installing kali 1.0.6

When I use the graphic install, it hangs during the network detect.
I added the "exit 0" to /bin/check-missing-firmware on the second attempt, and it now hangs on netcfg
I tried with my wireless turned on and off. No difference. My ethernet was not connected.

grymoire
2014-03-02, 19:33
I had the same problem when installing from Kali 1.0.6 (386) on a DVD-ROM.
The detect network failed. I inserted a "exit 0" in /bin/check-missing-firmware, but then it hung in netcfg.

I worked around the problem by buring a copy of kali 1.0.5, and installing from that version.

kubiaki
2014-03-06, 16:35
Guys, the unique way that make me able to install the system was through the Live OS (booting for USB). I started the Live OS and start the installation. Now everything is working fine.

darkshadow
2014-03-06, 18:54
use live mode ...not graphic one .....install kali from application menu....

unmeg
2014-07-06, 13:07
use live mode ...not graphic one .....install kali from application menu....

This is a great way to get around the hanging at 'detect network', unless you're trying to dual-boot alongside an (existing) windows installation.

I can run Kali in live mode from my USB. I can't install it though -- can't get past the detect network screen. I tried to install from the application menu and everything worked great, but there was no "use the largest continuous free space" option for me at the guided disk partition stage using this method.

I'm about to have another crack, so if I figure anything out I will report back. But for those who have this problem, so far installing from within is not the answer!

(Caveat: I've never done a Linux install before and am a huge n00b so may be missing some obvious things) :cool:

malavai
2014-07-16, 22:42
Ignore the firmware complaint, plug in a network cable. I had the same issue on a pavillion g6. its not trying to dual-boot or anything though... Solely running kali on it.

The only way I could get it to successfully install was to have it wired straight into the network.

yogendrasingh
2014-08-01, 20:06
I've been trying to install Kali Linux 1.0.6 32bit for the past few hours to no avail.
Every time I try to install I get stuck at the "Detecting network hardware" stage. In text installation it just goes to a blue screen. I've tried Ctrl+C a lot, but it did not help. In graphic installation it just gets stuck with a blank screen titled "Detecting Network Hardware" and nothing changes. I've left this stage in both installation types for about 20 minutes to see whether something would change, but nothing did.
I've tried disabling the network adapter in BIOS prior to booting, tried putting the network device boot first in BIOS, tried wireless and wired connection to the internet during the installation, but nothing worked.

Later I've tried making an installation loader from my Windows 7 (I'm trying to install Kali Linux side by side with my Windows 7), and I was able to skip the stage as I could choose what stage I'm doing, however then it failed to install the GRUB boot loader because it couldn't install to /target/ or something like that.

I could pass this stage perfectly when choosing the install kali linux from the live system boot, however it doesn't have the use largest continous free space.

I have tried to install both from a cd and a usb, however they both have the same results.

I don't know what to do anymore. I've looked up in threads on the forums about this topic, but nothing helped. If anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it, it would be much appreciated.

I'm trying to install Kali Linux on my laptop - HP Pavilion G6, if that helps.

when123
2014-08-05, 04:18
hard drivers for chipset of RT is not available .

kartic_iyer
2014-08-07, 11:04
Same problem here while installing Kali 1.06 to 1.08 from DVD. Kholz solution does not work. Why they Change the supported device to non supporrted device, we cant afford to change the hardware as per kali linux wish my wifi is Broadcom Corporation BCM4313.. No Solution from 1.06 to 1.08 makes an enthusiast like me feeel sad. Think every time load the 1.05 system and dist-update to now 1.08. more than 2GB to be downloaded

A QUICK SOLUTION IS REQUESTED FROM KALI LINUX DEVELOPMENT TEAM PLEASE

kartic_iyer
2014-08-07, 16:35

Fix:
- Run the command:
- Write the file, and exit (commands are on the bottom of the screen, if you are unfamiliar with nano)
- Reap the benefits

Best of luck
K

It works once a landline cable is connected (ETH0), but it is a temporary solution, i have abortded installation once it goes to partitioning, but i am not sure what trouble Wifi will cause any how thanks

cavs
2014-09-06, 11:48
i've got same problem in both graphical and text setup. got rid of that by removing WLAN card from notebook. Strange, becoise wlan card was working good in live mode...

Dr. Mabuse
2015-01-04, 20:02
I was having the same issue. I would attempt to install Kali alongside W7 per Kali documentation, i.e. using graphical install, and would get hung up at that point. I would have to hard reboot, and try text install. Fail. Sad Panda.

What DID work with no issues was booting Kali from my USB stick into Live Mode with my ETH0 connection and installing from there. I entered a graphical install process and was done in no time. My only caveat is that when the question of using mirrors came up, the only thing that worked was going all Pride and Prejudice about it and selecting yes. It brought up my WLAN options, I plugged in my info, and when we were all done I rebooted. Huzzuh! Boot options! Kali is my default since I only use W7 for audio production. Kali came up asking for login credentials.

Given Kali's application nature, there is one user: root. In theory there is no need for another user but you can create one, but that's another topic for another day. Your password will be whatever you set it up to be.

I started writing this response and remembered I was still wired into my router, and surely the question of WLAN would come up. I closed Iceweasel, unplugged my ethernet cable, and set up my WLAN connection in all of two seconds. Reopened Iceweasel, and here we are like Pinocchio (no strings).

Hope this helps someone.

mmusket33
2015-01-12, 14:13
To InjenieroBarsa

Your problem is the BCM4313 802.11bgn . We have sent a bug report to kali a while back. Open your computer up and slide the adapter out of the slot. Install kali then slide the adapter back in the slot, and screw it back down. Now seal your computer back up. Make sure you donot remove the antenna leads. The adapter just needs to be free of the slot during the install process. This has been an on going issue since kali1-06.

To cavs After install you can put your adapter back in the slot and use it.

MTeams

hft
2015-03-22, 23:48

Fix:
- Run the command:
- Reap the benefits

Best of luck
K

Thanks, this worked perfectly for me.

Tiwo Satriaama
2015-04-16, 19:40
Hi. I tried installing Kali from a usb drive but it hangs after detecting hardware in text mode and on detecting network in graphical mode. I can run in live mode but the problem is installing.

PC: HP Pavilion g4-1215dx Laptop
video/cpu: AMD Radeon HD 6480G/ AMD A4-3300M APU
Network Cards: eth: Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller, wifi: Realtek RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

Any help is greatly appreciated..
If your SHA1 is correct. This trick works for me http://unixsquad.blogspot.com/2015/04/solution-for-hang-in-detecting-network.html. Hope help you sir

tajmasindi
2016-07-19, 20:12
I did had the same problem first time i use linux kali, I was installing in on a 11 inch laptop and it always stack on detect network.

So this is how i solve it.

1. On the boot screen, choose the first option of live
2. wait until the live disk complete loading to the desktop
3. Make sure you have internet connection, WIFI or Lan Cable
4. After loading complete, go top right and connect to the internet
5. Go to Top Left, select "Application", go to System Tools and install Linux Kali
6 :) You are good to Go now!