PDA

View Full Version : Updated kali VM, GUI wont load

swunt1
2020-07-06, 14:09
So turning a long story short, Taking the OSCP course, HAD vm snapshots usually took a new snapshot after every host i owned so i could have the notes saved and those are all gone, not sure what happened. So a simple revert is not an option, its a work computer, i checked my backups, they dont save the VM's i have created. I begin to boot and get an error related to piix4_smbus and then the boot stops. Now i saw this is a know issue and you can just add it to the blacklist, which i did, but i checked my only remaining snapshot and it has that error but still boots. So figured it might be nvidia issue, tried a couple troubleshooting options for it and nothing worked. The host will boot in recovery mode and i can walk all the directories, so i feel like this is definitely a GUI issue. Hoping someone had some troubleshooting ideas.

king_julian
2020-07-27, 16:49
I had something similar , eventually got it fixed and wrote all my trail and error here ..
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?49634-Upgrading-after-more-then-a-year-woes

Maybe something related can help ?