PDA

View Full Version : external USB drive with exFAT not mounting (did anything be changed with a lately update?)

dustednoob
2020-07-12, 18:48
Hello,
i have a problem to mount an external USB drive with exFAT partition.
Some weeks ago as I installed Kali 2020.2 everything was fine and I could mount my ext. HDD and
use it.
I think, it was after one of the last updated files during the last week, that I no longer can mount the exFAT partition of the USB HDD.
I thought I broke something and made a complete fresh installation of Kali, but that did not help.

The possible needed files (exfat-fuse and exfat-utils) were already installed, i tried to reinstall them, but did not help.

Is there anything I can do?

I wonder, because 1 or 1.5 weeks ago this problem did not exist - I used the USB drive with that exFAT pratition, plugged in - the desktop icon came up
and i could mount it and use it.

thanx for help!

kind regards

l.krasso
2020-07-14, 20:38
Hi there,

same issue here, worked all fine on two installed Kalis at different machines
since after an update exfat will not be mounted anymore.
Other distros I use (Debian aso..) still mount, so I better dont update for a while ^^

Anyway, if you need to mount exfat maybe it will work for you so as I do...

sudo mount.exfat-fuse /dev/sdc1 /mnt/myexFatFolder (at mine the usb was sdc1 - so adjust if necessary)

Found that mount.exfat-fuse at /sbin, for me this solution works

kind regards

vastianazzo
2020-07-20, 16:29
Hello
I have the same problem with my USB.
The message in /var/log/syslog is
kali kernel: [17853.979094] exfat: disagrees about version of symbol module_layout

uname -r is: 4.19.0-kali5-amd64
the module directory is /lib/modules/4.19.0-kali5-amd64/kernel/fs

so seems to be ok.
But what?

dustednoob
2020-07-29, 08:52
i found a workaround to get access to my data - could connect the external HDD to my Router and use it as a NAS.
So i pulled the data and reformat the HDD to a format that works with my Linux installation.

vastianazzo
2020-07-30, 13:51
This worked also for me
sudo mount.exfat-fuse /dev/sdc1 /mnt/myexFatFolder

Thanks. IT'S THE SOLUTION