PDA

View Full Version : VMware Player 15 Graphical Instal Partition creation file systems failed

Reigh
2020-07-30, 02:50
How I got here;
Started out with with a hyper-v install of Kali on this windows 10 box. I could not however use the USB passthrough as I wanted to for other dongles and tools.

I setup my second VM machine using the Free VMware player and got a stabile instal but I without knowing resizing using the corner to drag would make then display in the window go black once logged in. I did manage to drag back a very abnormal un useful window size but enough so I could get back into kali just not useful for actually using the os.

So then I deleted that instance of the VMware machine and started back into the installer. I hit a initial snag I don't know how to get logs when I got to partitioning. VMware player wanted to use the partition already made. I know at least once I tried deleting the partition back to free space and and formatting the drive. Then I followed detailed steps of manually configuring a new logical swap and primary encrypted space drive from the free space left configuring what setting for each before initializing creation of them. Found here (https://www.informaticar.net/how-to-manually-partition-and-encrypt-kali-linux/)

The issues come when I go to the step selecting "done and setting up the partition" then selecting yes to configure and write the partitions as specified. I get an error "The ext2 file system creation in partition #1 of SCSI3 (0,0,0) (sda) failed." this being the first of two spaces the swap space to be written and matching the configuration noted above in those directions the only difference being that I i had to delete the previous VM's allocated space and format it since it was defaulting to the that partition with the same image of a current Kali install image on that space previously. unless someone has better instruction on for to clean and prepare that open space for the new partition for the new install of Kali so I can get back my screen space for the image I need to talk to my devices through passthrough ports.