PDA

View Full Version : Kali Dual Boot Manual Partition Question

celx-requin
2020-08-09, 01:09
Howdy,

First off thanks to the staff, and community for building up this fantastic resource! I was reading through the "Kali Linux: Revealed", and the book states the following
on page 77

"Shrinking a Windows Partition:To install Kali Linux alongside an existing operating system (Windows or other), you
will need available, unused hard drive space for the partitions dedicated to Kali. In
most cases, this means shrinking an existing partition and reusing the freed space.
If you are using the manual partitioning mode, the installer can shrink a Windows
partition quite easily. You only need to choose the Windows partition and enter its
new size (this works the same with both FAT and NTFS partitions)."

I just have two questions that I have not found an answer about online.

1). Does the above mean that one can shrink a partition (or create a new one) directly through the manual option of the kali linux installer?

2). If the above is true, is their a walk through or video tutorial where this is done in this manner? All the walkthroughs I've seen (including the documentation on the official kali linux website) make use of an external tool to make partitions, for example the use of G-Parted, I have found nothing on shrinking a partition via the actual kali installer aside from the aforementioned blurb in the book.

Please forgive my autism, I have been studying for the KLCP and want to really make sure I understand the nitty gritty of the Kali kernel distribution, love the book I have learned so much, many thank yous to all those who respond.