PDA

View Full Version : Can't boot from external drive after installing

neilly
2020-12-27, 10:48
I installed Kali yesterday on my 500GB Seagate external SSD. I flashed the ISO to an 8GB USB drive using Rufus, then ran the installation and installed to the SSD. Everything completed successfully. At the end of installation, it tells me to remove the installation drive and boot from the SSD. So I do this, but now I can't actually boot it.

When I try to boot from my laptop (acer spin 5), the SSD doesnt even show up in the boot menu. I only have one option for boot which is my usual hard drive with windows installed. So I tried it on my desktop PC instead. This time, the drive shows up in the boot menu but when I select it I get this error:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

Did I do something wrong in installation? How can I make my computers boot from my Kali drive? I did see another post about a similar problem and they said that it was fixed if they disconnected their primary drive, but there must be a better solution than this? I can't be opening up my laptop and disconnecting/reconnecting my drive every time I want to switch OS.
Any help is really appreciated.