PDA

View Full Version : missing grub loader

asterix
2021-04-03, 20:35
KaliInstaller iso: kali-linux-2021.1-installer-amd64 (confirmed with sha256sum)
KaliLive iso: kali-linux-2021.1-live-amd64 (confirmed with sha256sum)

Hello, I have installled the Kali without internet connection. During installation, I chose "Continue without boot loader". I am trying to configure the GRUB via KaliLive with no success, because the Kali is not listed in the BIOS Booting options. Could you please advise me how to proceed?

The installed Kali is the only OS on my computer.
/dev/sda1 has the flags "boot,esp", 512 MB
/dev/sda2 has 488 MB
/dev/sda3 has 1.86 TB, encrypted storage.

The computer itself does not have any eth0 ports. Before Kali linux, I used Ubuntu and had to compile the wifi adapter driver after launching Ubuntu to gain access to the internet.

What I tried: I launched the KaliLive, logged in, launched the terminal and followed the steps from this thread, but it did not work. When I enter "chroot /mnt", I get the error "chroot: failed to run command /usr/bin/zsh: no such file or directory". Also, there was a strange thing about this way - the mounting to the "/dev/sda1" works, but for the /mnt/dev, /mnt/proc etc I had to manually create dirs using mkdir, which was not explained in the tutorial from that thread, so I think I am typing some wrong commands.
https://forums.kali.org/showthread.php?20559-How-To-Repair-Kali-Linux-Grub-With-Kali-Linux-Live-Cd-Dual-Boot-With-Windows-7

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
**stopped here**
chroot /mnt
grub-install /dev/sda
update-grub
exit
umount /mnt/dev/pts
umount /mnt/dev